Texas A&M Class of 2028 Official Thread

The correct credentials and housing portal link are on the “Admitted” Page in AIS. NOT the Howdy Portal. For us, there was a 1-day delay for the housing portal link to work after being given it on AIS.

7 tabs showed up this morning, awaiting AIS update!! She applied holistic to KINE. While waiting on AIS update, is there anywhere on the Howdy portal indicating what campus she would be accepted?
She selected College Station on the application.
Thanks in advance!

4 Likes

Congrats. Go into Howdy Portal, click on the My Dashboard tab, and look for the Overview option. Make sure it shows Fall 2024 as the semester, and it should tell you which campus.

1 Like

My son received 7 tabs this morning. Mom and dad graduated in ‘96 and ‘97 and his sister is currently class of ‘25 (ISEN). Here are his stats and good luck to the rest of you.

Applied: August 1st
State: In State
School: Large North Dallas Suburb
UW GPA: 3.83
W GPA: 4.99
SAT: 1400
Major: Statistics
Extra: Varsity football and wrestling, 12 AP classes, National Honors Society

4 Likes

This is not correct at all! I have a son that is currently in Engineering at TAMU, and a daughter that will be attending next year. After reading this, I contacted an advisor to clarify if this was a policy change, but it is simply not true. Texas A&M DOES allow AP credit for Calculus and Physics for engineering students. MATH 151 (Calc 1 for engineers) and MATH 152 (Calc 2 for engineers) are part of the General Engineering curriculum, and AP credit can be used for those classes. Physics C: Mechanical and E&M can also be used for the required engineering courses, however AP Physics 1 & 2 cannot. MATH 171 (Calc 1) is not part of the General Engineering curriculum, although it can be substituted for MATH 151. MATH 171 is typically for the Math majors. Math 151 and Math 152 are NOT prereqs for MATH 171.
With that being said, the advisors will typically advise against taking any AP credit for Calc or Physics, and different majors in COE will place more emphasis on different courses, but taking AP credit for Math and Physics is a common occurrence. Also, there are certain requirements that must be met score-wise to receive credit.
My middle son is on a military ROTC scholarship. The advisors advised to not take any AP credit for Math or Physics, but since he had AP credit, the military urged (required?) him to take credit for everything he could, which he did. It all turned out fine for him.

1 Like

Congrats!! When did he apply?

He applied 8/1.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information. However, our engineering advisor specifically said "If you are going to major in Mech Engineering we HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT APPLYING any AP Calculus or Physics AP Credit to your curriculum and to take them over at the A&M level.

2 Likes

In order to fulfill ETAM, students need two math, two science and two coding classes. If students claimed away Math 151/152 via AP tests, there are still Math 304, 308, 251 and 253 for students to take for ETAM evaluation but those are much tougher classes. Students not taking two Math classes in ETAM year will not be prioritized in holistic review.

ETAM has a guarantee contract for auto-major admission with GPA 3.75+ so many advisors don’t suggest claiming away Math 151/152. Students need those to boost GPA (as engineering coding class can be intimidating to new students)

There are some students who are really way ahead with differential equations in high school, those can claim away Math 151 with AP test, then take Math 152 and 308 in order to fulfill ETAM.

1 Like

Agree. My daughter spoke to an advisor in the CHEN department and she said one of the biggest mistakes she sees are kids using AP credits for the math and science courses. Those kids miss out on a lot of information that they weren’t exposed to in the AP classes. That being said - my daughter did get the recommendation from multiple upperclassmen to AP out of Math 152 which she did because they said it was unreasonably hard for any benefits gained by taking it. She just graduated last spring from A&M with a 4.0.

3 Likes

Daughter received 7 tabs this morning! WHOOP! Mom is class of '90.

OOS
high gpa
strong rigor
4 years of spanish
AP Scholar
National Merit Scholar Recipient
lots of ECs
state champion in individual sport
250 volunteer hours
Applied August 25th
Human Resources Development - College of Educ. and Human Dev.

7 Likes

7 tabs!!! Here we go!! WHOOP!

OOS /Hollistic
3.9 UW/4.4W
Test Optional
AP Scholar
National Hispanic Recognition
Top 12%
Deep in 3 EC’s

Applied 8/31
KINS - Dance Science

7 Likes

On the Common App, it originally said my recommendations were downloaded by TAMU on 9/12, but today, when I checked, it said downloaded 10/23. Has anyone else had this happen?

1 Like

Morning! 7 tabs and cautiously optimistic. Is there a way to see what major was assigned of the two choices? TIA!

4 Likes

Yes! Ours were first downloaded a month ago, and were just downloaded again on 10/23??

2 Likes

Was that a mistake?

what majors did you child apply to?

Applied to BIMS and Biology

Check manage applications or overview in howdy

Yes, it also shows the new uploaded date of the LOR in the received documents tab. I hope that doesn’t push the application back somehow. Why would they upload it again a month after the initial upload?