Texas A&M Engineering Honors

Hi,
I did not apply for engineering honors just because I am quite scared to apply. I LOVE math and manipulating different problems in order to solve real-world problems, but just the idea of people being “weeded out” from some of the freshmen level physics level is getting to me. I am wondering if me going into regular engineering is a bad idea. Will getting a 3.5 GPA be hard for me? I am currently taking AP Physics 2 and AP Calculus AB, where I have an above 95 average in those classes. What is the difference between the rigor in engineering honors and regular engineering?

@curiousapp111, My son will be starting his junior year this fall in the Engineering Honors Program. While he enjoys the smaller class sizes and early registration, he has not always chosen an honors section for his courses and many simply don’t offer one (there was no honors section for Physics 218, for example, at least when he took it). He may have one or two honors courses in a semester at most. Yes, overall, honors-section grades tend to be higher, but he has experienced some that are considerably more work without higher grade averages. It really depends on the class and the prof. You can review grade distribution reports online. While there is a lot of discussion regarding Physics and Calc being weed-out classes freshman year, many students do just fine, particularly if they come in with a strong STEM background and good time management skills. I understand they have made some changes to both Physics 218 and Math 151, so hopefully you’ll benefit from those enhancements. You might also want to check out A+ Tutoring to ensure a strong footing. It’s about a 5-minute drive from campus and many students find the tutoring very beneficial freshman year (Calc and Physics). You go to tutoring in the evenings a couple weeks in advance of an exam, completing chapter reviews and exam reviews. You can purchase individual evening sessions, but those who purchase a season pass at the beginning of the semester are guaranteed a seat. Cost of a season pass is about $170 – well worth it. Freshman year can be an adjustment, and it’s easy for students to get absorbed in too many activities and lose sight of their goal. Time management is key, particularly for first-year engineering.