Texas A&M- should I apply now?

I have a 1410 on the new sat, and TAMU does automatic acceptance if you have at least a 1360 with at least a 620 on math and 660 on English. However, I have a 780 on math and 630 on English, so I do not meet the English req. I took the SAT again in October, but scores do not send until Oct. 26. The engineering early action deadline is the 15th, and they do not accept scores after the deadline. Should I just take my chances with Early action so I don’t have to wait to hear?
Also for academic scholarships I would need to meet that sat requirement, however, it says its deadline isn’t till December first. So, would I still potentially get a scholarship even though I don’t meet the req right now but might by December first?
Thanks!

@mtgriffin I’ll see if we can get your Texas A&M moved from the TTU thread and over to A&M section.
What is your class rank and are you in state or out of state (OOS)?

If you apply now, to meet the early action deadline, you are a review applicant for admission to the university as well as engineering, since you do not meet the minimum test scores for academic admit, despite a high SAT score.

Early action applicants will hear back in early December with their admission decision to engineering. Every year, A&M receives about 40,000 applications for the freshman class. 35% of all review applicants last year received some form of admissions decision. They are:
Full Admission to Texas A&M
Texas A&M Blinn TEAM
Engineering Academy at Blinn
Aggie Gateway to Success
Engineering at Galveston

If you wait until after October 15 to apply, there is a possibility that you will qualify as an academic admit to the university if you can raise your English score. If you succeed in this, since you will now be under the “regular” decision, whose deadline is Dec 1. You will receive your academic admit notification as soon as the file is processed but will receive your decision on engineering in January.
However, if you do not raise your scores enough to be an academic admit, then you will once again be a review admit and will receive your admissions decision in January.

I am out of state (GA) and go a private highschool. We don’t rank, however there are 46 kids in my class and me and one other got the Georgia Merit Scholar which indicates top 5% in your class, so I am 1 or 2.
I already applied. I waited on the scholarship part though. Hopefully this doesn’t bite me in the butt.
Do you think since I have a decently high SAT score I have a good chance for being admitted at a review applicant?

A&M College Station acceptance rate for out of state applicants is small, and very competitive. Consider it a reach because you are not an academic admit and apply to some safeties. Do submit your new SAT scores, especially if you gain academic admit status. It may take you out of the EA decision pool, but that is more in your favor. Not a guarantee for engineering but more in your favor.

For fall 2015 enrollment, there were 46,492 total undergraduate students, Of these, 44,201 (95.1%), were TX residents.
1,589 were non TX residents (3.4%) and 702 were non US, Non TX residents (1.5%). 9777 freshman class (first time in college).
http://dars.tamu.edu/Data-and-Reports/Student/files/EPFA15.aspx pg. 16

Engineering at college station for fall 2015 had 11,720 students. 2,967 were first time in college (new freshmen). 10,856 (92.6%) of them were Texas resident, and 536 (4.6%) of them were non TX resident, and 328 (2.8%) non US, non TX resident.
http://dars.tamu.edu/Data-and-Reports/Student/files/EPFA15.aspx pg. 19

My kids were OOS, just to clarify - there is NOT a disadvantage to being OOS for admissions consideration. You are equal to TX residents as far as application acceptance goes, with the exception of the top 10% automatic admission policy only applies to TX residents. Local knowledge is a disadvantage, like knowing it is rolling admissions and many applicants are ready to push submit on Aug. 1st.The other disadvantage is the national statistics on this school are based on all types of admission, not just full admission to College Station campus. Recent advertisements also state this university as one of the easiest good schools to gain admission. That is also somewhat deceptive, if you are an academic admit, yes. If you are a review admit, it is highly competitive. As a tip, I would submit a resume along with your application ( a hindsight item we learned later) as your EC listing might need more explanation that the short character limit on the application. EC items vary greatly from state to state as far as honor & achievement levels.

When you apply for scholarships it is a disadvantage. The way the rules are, it states that an OOS student must beat out an instate student to qualify for merit scholarships, if you are deemed equal the instate student will be awarded. Secondly, there is a limited amount of OOS waivers ( granted when a qualifying scholarship of $1000 or more is award to an OOS student), so they do keep track of how many of those they are offering to OOS students. That being said, this school attracts many of the best and brightest from OOS so competition within that pool is fierce, but not impossible. It is also one of the top schools for National Merit award winners who qualify for automatic scholarships.

It is a great school and very welcoming to OOS students, however this school is a school of traditions and there are applicants who have been waiting their whole lives to apply here because they come from generations of Aggies. The school also does very little marketing outside the state of Texas, unlike other universities. They really don’t have to, the volume and quality of instate applicants is continuously rising and providing a rich crop of incoming students each year. Best of luck with your application!

Hi! I’m an OOS. I meet all the requirements for the academic admit, other than the SAT score. I have a 1310 and they require a 1360. I took the ACT just yesterday, however, I don’t know if I’ll get my score in by the deadline. Do you have any tips in case I become a review admit? How hard would it be to get accepted? I have back-up schools and everything, but I’ve been wanting to be an Aggie forever.

Did you list Texas A&M on the ACT form to get your score? If so, they should get it in time, they have been a little lenient on that portion of admissions in the past, knowing you have no control over score submission dates. You can submit two recommendations to your file.

The score portion of academic admit is normally where people fall short, there will be lots of applicants with similar situations. Some meet the overall number but not the specific section breakdown, others short on total and some just 'don’t test well" but have high rankings & EC. It is a true mixed bag of applicants.

How hard is it to be accepted? Stats released for the class of 2018: Only 16% of the accepted freshman were review admits ( 84% were academic admits & top 10% TX). Out of the entire review pool that year: 13% were given full admission to College Station campus. If you’d like to see the breakdowns they are here http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/1676831-class-of-2018-offers-of-admission-breakdown.html#latest

That is the first and last time I have seen a breakdown by top 10%, academic & review admits with resulting admission offers. It certainly varies greatly to the admission stats that are published online since those are based on all types of admissions, not just to the College Station campus.

The other item that just changed is the non resident tuition waiver for instate tuition, eligibility changed to a $4000 competitive scholarship starting Fall 2017.

I would stay positive, if you have re-taken the tests again and are just waiting for results. Having a backup school is always a good idea for a review admit. I would go ahead and fill out the scholarship sections, the admission offers are not biased They wait until after Dec 1 to give any less than full offers of admission, once they decide your offer they do not traditionally switch them so they want to make sure they are evaluating full files. Also by law they have to take top 10% TX students and( by their own policy) the academic admits, so they wait to see the number of review admits they can add to the mix for a full freshman class.