Texas A&M University Class of 2026

Someone in the forum mentioned above that you can, and some mentioned you can also send question in AIS to get it updated. But @ChristiR93 mentioned TAMU will admit student first. You can check with her.

3 Likes

Thanks!!!

2 Likes

Congratulations to you son! Mays consistently get full by November, when applicants start getting second choices. This year is already slightly delayed.

If you check this forum someone already getting second choice. This was just the pattern observed from last few admissions cycles. There may be a few acceptances in the next week and not sure if admission office will work on commencement week.

Last few admission cycles there was rarely (almost none) full admittance to Mays in January.

1 Like

With a lot of people having 1st choice as Mays and being accepted with 2nd choice major, we can assume that Mays is full. But we all know what assume means lol.

2 Likes

You can but unnecessary. Once admitted, you can ask for a change of major. If not full, then they will switch you over

1 Like

Thank you! That makes sense

Is it odd that if Mays is full, we are hearing so little of anyone getting into Mays other than maybe a handful or two in this forum? Just getting nervous for my daughter who applied 8/1, 1st quarter based on SRAR, since her school doesn’t rank past top 10, 3.94 unweighted/4.8 weighted, lots of volunteer and ECs, ACT of 28 (prob hurts her) but we’ve heard nothing from A&M on Mays or Econ. She’s been accepted at all other schools she’s applied to and holding for A&M.

1 Like

Any one can chime in on my son’s chances? I posted earlier but didn’t get any responses. Getting really antsy about not hearing anything yet.

Stats are
Ranked 1st quarter at huge competitive high school
1310 SAT
Major biology
Lots of ECs including hundreds of hours of
Volunteer
Jv tennis
Part time job
8 completed AP courses

Any insight or comments is greatly appreciated!!

What is the unweighted GPA? 8 completed AP before senior?

1 Like

@1stCollegeRodeo I’m simply speculating, but Mays could easily fill with Top10% applicants, or those with very high SAT/ACT and National Merit Semi/Finalist. It’s such a small major, so many high applicants every year, it is possible. I’m not saying this is the case this year, but realistically it could easily happen. It is very competitive, there are some wickedly smart & over-achieving kids applying.
I’m guessing the bulk of Top Ten% parents might not be using this forum, so what you’re reading isn’t a great representation.
And there really are people who review every application, so it takes time. January-March is the written timeline for holistic reviews, tho some have heard earlier (appears to be those with high SAT/ACT).
Simply my speculation, and as the parent of a current Mays student.
(same goes for Viz. Extremely small major, usually first major to fill, within days)

Thx for the perspective. We struggled whether or not to submit test score but after meeting with the local recruiter for A&M who covers her school district, we were told to submit. Like many parents here, it’s tough watching kids get down on themselves when they aren’t getting any feedback but see others getting accepted and A&M being the only school she wants to go to…she won’t even look at Baylor or UTDs offer until A&M turns her down. At her highly competitive high school, she is actually only ranked in top 40%, top 30% starts with 4.0 unweighted with top 10% all basically starting college as sophomores due to 5.8 weighted GPAs and AP classes so from my daughters perspective…she’s already been insecure about achievements due to the company she keeps at the high school. I hate watching her beat herself up while waiting.

3 Likes

@1stCollegeRodeo i hear ya, and my heart hurts for you. College acceptance today is NOTHING like it was in the 80s, when I was applying. Even since my Aggie graduated high school & started A&M in 2019, the applicants have increased and it’s even tougher to get in.
To put things in perspective, I read last year there were something like 700ish true valedictorians (like legit highest gpa) in the incoming freshman class of 2019, and the FinAid office said the bulk weren’t getting any kind of scholarship from A&M.
A&M doesn’t have to ‘woo’ kids, dangle in-state tuition (like OU, Arkansas, Alabama) or offer big $…they just don’t have to. There are so many auto admit/ NM kids applying. I don’t think a lot understand this. It isn’t the A&M of the 80s and 90s anymore. 55k+ applicants last year, most likely more this year.
I sure am glad I’m not having to go back to college!
And for what it’s worth, I’m a Baylor grad, and they have an INCREDIBLE Business school! Hard to beat it! Hang in there!:crossed_fingers:t3:

3 Likes

Here is a screenshot of what the SAT stats looked like for the Mays class admitted in the Fall 2020. I think things have gotten increasingly more competitive at A&M even since then!

4 Likes

Ooooh! I love stuff like this-thanks!!
If that’s Fall 2020, those number could be off/lower, since Covid hit in spring 2020, correct?
While it is a small number (85-95ish), the average SAT for Business Honors is 1520, I think? Staggeringly smart.
Like I said…thankful I’m not having to apply to college myself!

Middle 50% was 1159-1366 or roughly 24-30 ACT. 618 supplied SAT. Others supply ACT and some went test optional.

A guy works for me that went to another accounting program because he didn’t get Mays BHP. All types I guess.

Omg I asked you a question and you answered and then I didn’t reply. Sorry about that.

I think he has a solid chance at full admit. Team also offer bio so worst case in my opinion is he gets that. But I’m still holding out that he’ll get full. Hope I’m right because I love being right!!

2 Likes

For both TAMU and UT, because of the auto-admit law, you can’t really rely on SAT/ACT scores. Many (including my youngest kid) when safe in top 10%, do no take the school SAT day test seriously.

You would think these high ranking students should have high SAT/ACT, except those aiming for Ivies or OOS colleges, the law gives no incentives for those high ranking students to study for the test.

These kids are capable but only if the law get amended to include a higher minimum for SAT/ACT, you will still see lower than normal average in SAT/ACT data.

1 Like

Yes. My daughter took the school day SAT once and did good enough (above average, around 75th percentile range for the schools she was applying to) and so she called it done and moved on to other things. Since she was top 10%, she wasn’t concerned about taking it multiple times to get a higher score or taking the ACT.

She did prep for it. But didn’t want to take it more than once unless it was necessary to do so. I don’t think it’s a bad thing to prioritize your time.

However, test scores matter for Aggie engineering and various UT programs. It’s quite possible that many applicants aren’t aware of the competitiveness of these majors.

2 Likes

3.6 unweighted GPA. And yes 8 AP courses completed before senior.