Texas A&M University Class of 2026

Change of major. Kid is admitted to Biology and wants to try premed track. If the kids decides to not do medicine is it hard to get into bioinformatics?

Trying to have a employable good backup plan if the premed dreams change after the first year.

Totally understand the need for a good back up plan. I have not heard of anyone changing their major to this and I cannot find any info under engineering to change major to this. I did see that you can minor in it! There’s also a University studies-Bioinformatics degree as well which is pretty cool. Check into that as a viable option.

Sorry I can’t be of much help on this.

If you meant Bioinformatics under University Studies, it is not hard to get into. In general University Studies has no specific quota. This degree for Bioinformatics will need more programming courses to be able to connect to master degrees in most Bioinformatics in graduate school. So it is very likely this degree plan eventually will be under College of Engineering.

Note that TAMU has very strong Bioinformatics in graduate school. Its master degree research program is under Computer Science and Engineering and is highly regarded.

1 Like

Oh! I missed that part. Didn’t realize she was spring admission. Gotcha.

1 Like

To clarify, you mean University Studies, not GEST.

Yes University Studies.

1 Like

Hey ya’ll- Although everyone says Mays is CLOSED - my son got admitted to Mays anyway! He got 6 tabs yesterday (12/13/21) and his AIS just updated today, a few minutes ago. They must have a back log! So if you applied to Mays, it’s still possible. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Congratulations to him!!

1 Like

She called them today and they told her final decisions would not be made until early January. my daughter said “so students will have less than 2 weeks to prep to attend?” The lady said “Yes. That’s how it works sometimes”

Guess they won’t be updating it after this week until after the Christmas break.

Maybe we will get good news this week. She got accepted into another out of state college and I guess she will just accept that. Very frustrating.

Two weeks doesn’t make sense as it leaves very narrow window even just for finding a place to stay, not to mention registering for classes.

They might pull up the file while your daughter called and found out they overlooked it. They were supposed to close out spring transfer and admission by end of November.

When did you apply?

If you get in you must sign up for the only NSC (in person no virtual) on Jan 12-13 to get familiar with the campus and of course register for classes.

1 Like

Yes. It’s VERY short notice. She applied Sept 9th. It’s been 3 months.

I think you will get results this week or first week of January latest, immediately register NSC in person they only have one session in January. NSC is super helpful, virtual version will not work at all. You get familiar with buildings and classes locations and register for classes.

Wow! Congratulations to your son!! Do you mind sharing his stats and when he applied? Great Christmas present :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s crazy. Exciting but crazy. Was he top 10%

Congratulations! Is your son auto-admit?
I wish Mays is still open but when my son called in on December 3rd, the lady specifically said Mays was at capacity but they still hadn’t finished sending acceptance. I think acceptance like yours.

1 Like

My son emailed his admissions advisor on Friday. He received a response on Monday afternoon, 12/12. He’d said he’d heard Mays was full and asked her for advice.

She said, “If Mays is full, it will go to your next choice, Econ. From there, it could go to General Studies and you could choose from open options.” He had mentioned Kinesiology as the 2nd option. He didn’t change anything in his application after her email. IMO, none of the information is 100% consistent. As a PR professional, I wish that there was one voice with one message. Reduces confusion and speculation. Or, I wish everyone learned their status on the same day.

So, we continue to wait. :wink: He’s OOS, 1st Q (non-ranking school), 1370 SAT, and 3.75, also plans to join the Corps. The Corps said not to bother with LORs. However, after reviewing this forum, he opted for them to be sent anyway. Good luck and Congrats to all so far.

1 Like

Great stats. And honestly there is consistency. He won’t go to 2nd major until they make a decision of “admitted” on his app. Til then it will stay Business first. If you see it move, then you’ll know you’ll be accepted to what’s listed. If change of major button disappears then it’s either PSA or denial.

With 1370 And Q1, good chance of full admit. OOS may be a hold back til they have another round of in state kiddos.

2 Likes

Thanks!

Did anyone have any changes to their portal this morning? Still nothing here. So my son’s portal has been in review since August… He is still listed as 1st choice for Viz, 2nd choice for Engineering. My question is: if engineering fills up (maybe it already is), will he miss that option waiting for a VIz spot? Does that make sense? He may be waiting for an open Viz spot indefinitely but he’d like an engineering spot if he can’t get that. I hope I"m wording that correctly. Thanks!