Texas A&M University Class of 2026

My comment on the departments was directed at the transfer students @friscodad was discussing not freshmen.

Admissions office makes all freshman decisions.

Department/majors makes all transfer decisions.

Plain and simple.

2 Likes

Got it that is very clear. This is why I think over the months I’ve gotten confused. I have also had relatives say that freshmen should turn in their application as early as possible. Doesn’t seem now like that is the case.

I still agree with turning in application early. Can’t hurt for one. And for two it will get looked at sooner but that doesn’t mean you’ll get accepted sooner.

High scoring in the first quarter typically get in before Christmas break. Bubble students are mainly after the new year.

2 Likes

Thanks. I have a second kid only now in 9th grade so I am trying to ‘crack the code’ for this. In my immediately sphere – about five other kids from my son’s private school got in before Christmas, one at a time in no particular ‘wave’, and their grades weren’t as good as my son’s. The school is not ranked, but they have advanced, honors and AP classes. My son was in all the advanced classes yet the other kids weren’t. It is possible that they submitted SAT scores and my son was test-optional. The only other difference is that they all are legacy A&M kids with parents who went, and talked it up in the essays. Outside of that, their majors are different. But the bottom line is the only difference is - maybe - SAT scores submitted vs. ‘test optional’ for my son.

Test optional makes it harder for them to review the student. Takes longer for sure.

And trust me when I say… unless the parents are huge donors, legacy means absolutely nothing.

What rank did Tamu give your son?

1 Like

Anyone have/hear of any homeschooled students getting admitted?

There were a few earlier in this thread accepted before Christmas.

1 Like

I read the thread from last year, and it looked like the offers started going out around this time. BUT a big wave also came on Valentine’s Day for TEAM. So I have told my son that we should hear by then. It just helps to manage our expectations.
My son said that no one from his school, (big 6A school in Houston) has heard back except top 10%. So you’ve got a lot of company! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Transfer requires matching course sheets (one class at a time) before forwarding to department for review so it is more complicated and time consuming.

Freshmen has automated SRAR to index the subjects so they don’t have to look at the detail subjects so much less work but of course the volume is huge.

1 Like

My son is top quarter, lots of AP and Dc, Eagle Scout, 1420 on Sat which I think is high, turned in his app in August and has heard nothing either. He had a friend get accepted who turned his app the day before the deadline so Mid Oct with lower scores so I don’t know what the process is but it sure doesn’t seem right. My son’s portal said he was admitted in September and then they took it off and said it was a mistake…… I may need to have him email through AIS and inquire.

2 Likes

Thanks for replying. Howdy/ AIS gave my son a ranking of ‘Top Quarter’ or ‘First Quarter’

1 Like

Wow those are good scores, he’ll get in. But the fact that they admitted then said it was a mistake is a bit troubling. Sometimes I also worry about that my son (who is similar)'s application fell through the cracks.

My daughter and her friend got admitted before Christmas. Several of her friends from the same homeschool group are still waiting. We are in Houston.

1 Like

FYI… someone just messaged me that their 2nd choice major is now listed as their first choice. This is a sign that a decision has been made! So check your 1st and 2nd choice majors.

Keep in mind, it only switches to 2nd if your first choice is full, so just because it didn’t switch (unless you’re business) then that doesn’t mean you won’t hear something soon.

I expect tabs tomorrow for many of you! Not sure about Engineering though, that may be a tad longer.

7 Likes

High scoring ACT if I remember correctly…

Just to keep in perspective on those waiting.

1 Like

What are her chances of getting a dorm with stamp date of 12/20?

By Stamp date you mean you completed Phase 1?

And you’ll get a dorm regardless. Most don’t get accepted til January and after. There are plenty of dorms and they’re all fine. Some nicer than others, but most if not all have been renovated over the past few years.

1 Like

Yes, we paid the $75 deposit 12/20

@Mha6514 dorms are guaranteed, I think until March 1 (that was the date last year), as long as Housing application fee is paid. Realistically only those who paid in September (and maybe 1st week of Oct) will get Hullabaloo and Northside Modulars, BUT there are plenty of dorms (IF you pay prior to March 1). Students can also find a roommate with a higher selection time and have more options that way.
Dorm selection isn’t until late April/early May, despite what they list during Phase 2.

:arrow_right: Pay Housing deposit ASAP, as dorm selection is based off time stamp-for everyone who wants to live on camps!! :arrow_left:

1 Like

Oh, I’m so hopeful!!! I like your positivity!!!

2 Likes