Texas A&M University Class of 2026

On the Howdy Portal. 6 tabs look like this for my daughter.

7 Likes

so basically the Top Ten Percent is the highest ?

2 Likes

Yes,
10% then 25%

1. Applied 8/1
  2. Top 10%
  3. Major-Psychology
  4. In state
  5. 6 tabs 9/17
2 Likes

@sunflowergirl4 i don’t think anyone can answer that, since it is all new this year. Top Ten% automatic, everyone else goes to holistic review.
It could be awhile…who knows?

What do you mean all new this year? I would suspect it’ll follow along the same time line as last year for the most part.

Just no test scores lumped into auto acceptances; it’s either Top Ten% or holistic.

Correct. Like last year though so we have some (even small lol) frame of reference.

1 Like

Interesting news report about TAMU Holistic Admissions: Texas A&M to change automatic acceptance process in 2021

If desired major is not guaranteed in Engineering, why should we bother applying at all?

1 Like

Looks like Engineering Review puts everyone into General Engineering at the end, not CS, ME … It will continue to be general engineering for the freshman year.

1 Like

All Engineering students enter A&M as General Engineering, then go thru the ETAM process. This is how the Engineering program works at A&M.

2 Likes

If major is decided through ETAM after freshman year, why TAMU is asking major 1 & 2 selection in the app; and why write major short answers?
There may not be guarantee student will get their chosen major.

1 Like

Yes. That went into effect last year for current freshman (this year). So we’ve seen this before but last year had a lot of test optional so I’m sure this year will be better for the reviewers.

As for engineering… I’m under the impression that those posting about this are just realizing all freshman go in under general. That is huge and shocking I’m sure. But it is TAMUs process and has been for many years. Not sure exactly when it started tho.

They are not guaranteed their intended field. It is extremely competitive and only a certain GPA at time of ETaM will get you a guaranteed spot. At this time I believe it’s a 3.75.

As for why they have you submit preference, I can only assume it’s to gauge interest in each discipline.

1 Like

You have to compete for it. Some choose to go elsewhere because of this.

I think something like 80% get their top choice.

1 Like

@tomr512 TAMU will ask you to list your top 2 dorm choices during one of the housing phases…means NOTHING. They’re just trying to see which are most popular.
Everything at A&M is competitive.

2 Likes

Delete post

This is only for engineering. Every other major is set.

Sounds good :grinning:

No college should ask to fill app to find out how popular their programs are. UT and lot other schools are more competitive than TAMU. You get your major of choice there. TAMU should say one line in their app engineering major selection is done after freshman and just give one major choice, ENG.

1 Like