Texas A&M University Class of 2026

@franknd i would think waiting until they reached out to you in late spring, there might not be many spots left at that point, except in UH. And it only says you’ll be eligible to apply, not guaranteed.
From our 2.5 years at A&M, I’ll tell ya, it is so darn competitive, don’t ever wait for anything.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that I’m a high scoring applicant (1460 SAT) and I am holistic review applying to the Mays Business School. At what point do high scoring holistic review applicants typically get accepted?

@ChristiR93 My daughter recently found out that she is being recognized as a National Merit Commended Scholar (meaning she won’t move forward) and also NHS. These two accomplishments were not on her application or resume. Her stats are currently top 13% (1Q) and 33 ACT. Her SAT was lower at 1380. Is it worth trying to add this to her resume and resubmitting? Has anyone done this before? She wants to study pre-med either Biomedical Science (BIMS?) or Neuroscience. Still waiting for holistic review.

2 Likes

Absolutely!! Upload in AIS. All supporting docs can be updated up until the deadline!

I don’t think she’ll have an issue getting in regardless though. Score and rank are on point!!!

1 Like

That’s the $64,000 question right now. Some thought holistic review applicants might start seeing 6 tabs yesterday, but it was radio silence from Admissions. Next Friday maybe? Or end of October? Nobody really knows. My hunch is things are in disarray over there at Admissions. There was the “Admission Offered” fiasco on 9/22. Then the “something new is coming” fake-out from last week. Weird.

We are having fun reading the message board while we wait. I appreciate all the input from everyone. This is a great group.

3 Likes

This is my experience, no 6 tabs or anything.

About 10 days after ApplyTexas was submitted, we received an University Honors email asking us to apply. Whether you receive it or not, I think it is free and open to anyone to apply.

At first we thought we should try department or college level, but it turned out the department does not offer honors. Was told that all their honors students applied through UH have early registration benefits, and higher course load/expectations. Also, they may still go to the same bigger-sized classes with non-UH students. I am not sure how that works in terms of group project and grading. Anyone else here has any similar experience to share?

Call your department or college soon and if they don’t offer Honors, then you can choose what to do next.

1 Like

I think as a freshman you have to be top 10% to apply or NM semi or higher. That’s my understanding for UH.

After first semester you can apply if you don’t meet the prior criteria.

Or if you maintain a 3.5 you can enroll in honors courses if there is room but you don’t get those early registration perks.

Good to know. UH’s Application Details website does not specifically point out all the criteria though. And we were able to open the application and view all the questions. That’s why I believed it is open to anyone……

Hopefully the site will stop or alert any applicant early enough during the process if they do not actually meet the qualifying criteria.

Actually I dug deeper. I am wrong. Anyone can apply. I was looking at someone that is a freshman not in honors can sign up for honors course if they met the top 10%.

Here’s what I was looking at originally. Still vague but I think you’re right.

https://student-rules.tamu.edu/rule16/

My son is a TAMU freshman this year, so did this process last year. He had some accomplishments he wanted to add after submitting his application and was able to do so in his application portal. He sent an email through the portal and they responded instructing him on how to add the information.

3 Likes

@fishfamx4 if the scores were sent to TAMU, I think they’ll be notified about the Commended status, but I would definitely double check. A&M is really big on all levels of National Merit, and even Commended could help with admission and even help secure a scholarship…definitely make sure it’s in her file. Congrats!

1 Like

@ForU what major is your student? Curious who told you that about all the students getting to apply early? Definitely not accurate. Only students who get to have the coveted early registration (besides student athletes, those with disabilities) are Honors students (University Honors, major/department honors students).
It gets a little grey-students that qualified at high school graduation (Top Ten10%,Nat Merit levels) can, at some point, try to register for some honors classes, if available. And all students are eligible for Latin honors at graduation.
The whole honors program is called LAUNCH, but it just isn’t terribly cohesive (my opinion).

1 Like

So it sounds like they (top 10%, national scholars) can be eligible to take honors classes without being in the university honors program? They will probably cover this at the upcoming national scholars day.

@martinezcs i believe 2nd semester honors-eligible students can try to register for honors classes (tho they won’t have early registration, and honors classes are normally small, so chances of there being many openings may be very slim).
Highly recommend your daughter apply for the Viz/Arch honors program.

1 Like

Actually, a review applicant was accepted 2 days ago @kwhdman

1 Like

Thank you @ChristiR93 for the additional info.

@52AG82 Open to anyone to apply in my 1st Reply was just based on my reasoning from info on their Application Details website.

I thought high school applicants only have one time to apply during this school year. That’s why I replied to OP for something I just learned a little. But after ChristiR’s post, I realized mine was not 100% right so in my 2nd Reply I was hoping UH’s application website will alert or stop an applicant who is not qualified.

Lastly I am new to college applications and posting. To viewers: the info I post here may not be accurate, please verify it with school officials before making any application decision :sweat:

2 Likes

You’re good. We are all finding our way each year. It can change year to year so any discussion is good to get to the current right answer. Everyone should always check and verify for themselves!

3 Likes

@ForU thats what these forums, websites and parent pages are for! It truly takes a village. Things change so often, it’s hard to keep up. And like I said, the honors program at A&M needs some work. The major/dept programs know what they’re doing, but the overall LAUNCH program (which includes UH) needs a lot of work.
Once your student has made his/her set in stone college decision, highly encourage you to join a parent page for the university-both general parent and hopefully a major specific parent page-that’s where you’ll find out all the stuff you never knew you needed to know.
Your child is lucky to have you, advocating and seeking as much helpful info as possible! Keep up the good work! :blush:

2 Likes

Wow! 2026 already have almost 1000 posts.

Just a few months after sending the second child, now it is the youngest applying.

Son got two different emails to apply university honor and business honor. Business Honor seems to be very competitive as it states in the email that average high school class rank is top 4% It also said average SAT is 1487 (I assume a lot of them are over 1550…)

Not sure if my son should apply now, will it be odd if my son next year choose to go to another college?

1 Like