Texas A&M University Class of 2026

I would think it will say “Pursuing” until you graduate. And why are you uploading transcript? I thought it wasn’t sent until accepted (SRAR takes care of transcript). Or am I splitting hairs???
And this question sounds like it should be for your high school counselor, not tamu.

SRAR is new from when my kids went through it, but that’s how I understood it.

3 Likes

You are right, I misunderstood. I am now manually entering all my grades in common application
and Coalition App but I thought at the end I will have to upload my transcript somewhere. I guess not? I am assuming SRAR is the same as entering all grades in Common app?

My daughter is also applying to Engineering, and we see it as 2 long essays (~500 words) and 3 short essays (~250 words):

1. Essay “A” (opportunities/challenges that shape you)
  2. Engineering Essay
  3. Diversity/Inclusion
  4. Life event that prepared you for college
  5. Person impacted you the most/why

The application itself doesn’t give word count requirements. The reason we think #3-5 above are “short essays” is because we read a college prep article online that said the A&M Diversity response should be 250-300 words. And so we assumed the two new ones this year (#4, #5) are also in that ballpark. And frankly, to adequately answer the prompts, it has easily hit 250+ words each for my daughter.

So call it “essay” or “prompt” … it’s still a lot of deep thinking and writing. Hence, it’s taken my daughter a little longer to get her application ready.

2 Likes

Thank you @sjg496 & @NDTA96. Stressing a bit, but let me take a deep breath and let my DS know.

1 Like

For #5, an admissions officer held a seminar and said please don’t say a grandparent.

@tristatecoog, did the admissions officer say why the “person who impacted you the most” response shouldn’t be about a grandparent? How about a parent?

Did the admissions officer give any no-no’s for the other new prompt – “life event that prepared you for college”?

I can’t answer that. I’ve only apply Texas. You will only use one application system. Definitely don’t upload transcript in Apply Texas. That I do know.

Sorry I can’t help but I’m sure there are others here that can!!!

2 Likes

Also, it is my understanding that colleges really don’t care about the endorsements. It is more about doing well in the required courses and challenging yourself with high level classes. Being in a high percentage of your class will be more important than the endorsements.

(As an educator, I hate the endorsements. I have had too many students restrict their electives to get an endorsement instead of taking a wide variety of classes to Find out what interests them). But TEa never called and asked my opinion!

3 Likes

It is a stressful process, can’t deny…I remember it like it was yesterday (and I’m about to start my senior year). Let me know how else I can help.

1 Like

Since you asked, you will probably enjoy listening to this Yale admissions podcast, especially #4 and #5 about which essays work and which ones do not.

A&M admissions officers could read that essay prompt 1,000 times or more. Grandparents or parents are going to be mentioned at least half the time because they’re close to everyone. The essay can describe how you’ve worked through adversity which will give adcom insight into you vs. all the upper middle class suburban folks. I read that someone talked about what they learned from their four year old nephew that they babysit a bunch.

What else? This admissions officer said don’t talk about a one week mission trip changing your life or how you overcame adversity to score a winning point in a game. Both used a lot.

Also, a fun fact is that an A&M admissions officer told me that not many students outside the top 10% in middle to lower class schools are trying to go to A&M. If you’re outside a major metro area, and you’re in the top 10%, by all means get your app in early so you get the major you want. It’s part of A&M’s mission. Work hard in your last year and if you’re going for engineering get that pre-calc and/or calculus, plus sciences, nailed down.

2 Likes

Thank you @tristatecoog for explaining why not to write about grandparents/parents! I was perplexed when you said not to. Makes total sense now

2 Likes

Well, if TAMU Admissions does not want responses to #5 (person most impacted) to be about parents or grandparents, I do not think they asked the question properly. Perhaps they meant “inspired” instead of “impacted”? Or maybe “influenced”? I guess I do not understand how they can ask a question about the person who “MOST impacted” your life and not expect a ton of essays about parents / grandparents. I appreciate you linking the podcast. I will certainly listen to it and perhaps it will shed some light.

6 Likes

Fair point. I believe this is the first year with the question but that makes sense. The podcast is fun and others may word their prompts differently.

1 Like

CCagain - I may be giving you some redundant information, but I’m not sure based on your posts. A&M does not use the Common App. You apply using GoApplyTexas. For grades, enter them in a separate system called SRAR (just Google ‘SRAR’). Have your transcript on-hand to enter everything exactly how your district lists it on your transcript, especially grades. You do not submit a transcript until after you’ve been accepted, and that transcript is used to verify the grades you entered in SRAR. If you are not honest, it is grounds for rescinding your offer of admission. (Many schools do not want a transcript sent to them during the application process, but you’d have to look at each individual school’s criteria on their admissions website.) Once you have your application submitted, you will get an email several days later with a UIN and instructions on setting up your Application Information System (AIS) portal. Only after you’ve set up the AIS, you then link your SRAR account to your AIS account. There will also be other steps to complete within AIS before A&M will review your application. I hope that makes sense.

1 Like

heather97-- thanks for the clarification. I forgot to mention I am also filling out Coalition App in addition to Common App and will be applying to Texas A&M thru Coalition App. Based on the review, I dont think I would need SRAR if im using Coalition

Every freshman applicant must complete the SRAR. If top 10% then you submit transcript with application.

You can use Coalition or GoApplyTexas to apply. Either one works.

Here’s the link with FAQs on the SRAR

https://admissions.tamu.edu/SRAR

1 Like

Thank you so much. That was really helpful.

1 Like

Has anyone’s child received their EIN/NetID yet? Applied via ApplyTexas on Aug 1. Just curious hw long it takes to get that. I can’t seem to find info that online.

I’ve asked people I know who applied (I’m a senior at TAMU right now, so I definitely have mine) 8/1 and they don’t have theirs yet. Imagine it will be one fell swoop here in the next couple days.

1 Like

They say 2-4 days. I bet with so many applying at one time, it will take that long. Once the ball gets rolling, I believe the timing decreases.

1 Like