Texas A&M University Class of 2026

That makes sense, thank you all for your help! :slight_smile:

1 Like

On the TexAgs site, there is an academics forum, including answers from tamu_admissions. Last year, my son and I found the post below from tamu_admissions very insightful regarding Tamu’s definition of rolling admissions. BTW, anyone can ask questions on this forum. Hope this helps you!

Here is text from TxAgs from the academics forum, fall '20, poster TAMUAdmissions.

"People use the term rolling admissions in different ways. Since applicants have until December 1 to apply and December 15 to have all their supporting documents in the office, it is only then we have a complete picture of the qualifications of all the applicants in review.

We evaluate class rank (not specifically GPA), test scores (if sent) and everything else submitted with the application - outside activities, leadership, employment, the essays, etc."

“For domestic freshmen applicants, Top 10 applicants in Texas with a complete file in our office often hear a decision within a few weeks with first letters going out around late September. Since applicants have until December 1 to apply and December 15 to be sure the supporting documents are in our office, it is not until after that do we know how competitive the pool is for Review Admits. As a result, Review Admits MAY hear a decision anytime although after January 1 is more likely. Hopefully Review Admit decisions will be completed by late March.”

3 Likes

As an OOS, AIS requires the following additional document if admitted: “OFFICIAL FINAL HS TRANSCRIPT FROM…” and “COLLEGE TRANSCRIPT FROM…”, but will sending the college transcript now expedite the admission decision?

Also Office of Admission lists two optional documents: Letters of recommendation and Resumes. I remember one recent admitted said they submitted one LOR. But you will have to ask a recommender to mail it (seems extra work for them), or give you an e-copy to upload to My Documents, (seems odd as you can then see the LOR…) Will that really help if we do LOR and/or resume now?

Sending transcript now does not expedite the admission decision for OOS. It is required twice for in state top 10% students- at the time of application and again after graduation, simply to verify the top 10% status for auto admit vs wholistic review.

Resumes are not recommended by TAMU at least this is what we were told at a recruiting event. LOR’s carry very little weight. My daughter did upload two LORs and yes the student asks the recommender for the LOR and the student uploads it as a pdf into the AIS. They will read the first two they receive. They will not read any additional ones.

1 Like

Fascinating! We were told just the opposite - that resumes can be beneficial. For example, if the resume allows an applicant to provide more pertinent details about their work, etc, or info before highschool, then definitely provide a resume.

But for those of you that have already submitted your application, there used to be a question asking if you would be providing a resume, so act as you answered that question.

1 Like

I am so confused. Do we need to submit current official transcript now as an OOS?

Thank you for sharing that so quickly!

I don’t believe so, because that’s what SRAR is about. To me, it is like a transcript, linked to the application, and complete as indicated on AIS. I hope I am right as we did not submit current official transcript.

Okay, thank you very much. Yes, I think that helps. I mean, you could knock me over with a feather with this information, but it is insightful. To me, waiting until after December to get a clearer picture of the applicant pool is the exact opposite of rolling admissions. But some review admits “MAY” hear earlier based on unspecified, undisclosed criteria. This hybrid system just seems so unsettling!!! I would say just check back in January, but TAMU makes you keep checking daily b/c you don’t want to lose your spot in line for housing. Agonizing.

5 Likes

You do not submit a current official transcript as an OOS during the application process.

Also Texas students who are not in the top 10% do not submit one now either.

Only Texas residents who are in the top 10% of their class submit their transcript during the application process (and again after graduation.)

1 Like

Thank you.

Thank you. I just don’t want to miss anything.

1 Like

My son sent his application 8/14 has been complete and under review since 8/16. They ranked him top 22%. Had 1420 SAT (750 math), low GPA from competitive high school, 3.67 uw. My question is…

He applied to Aero Engineering with 2nd choice Mechanical Engineering, essentially only applied to engineering with no true 2nd choice major. He said yes to Blinn. So does this mean he will hear back later than other review candidates? Is his decision being held up because he only applied to engineering?

If you want to change 2nd major, you can do so via AIS by sending question. It will be answered within 3 business days and updated within 1 business day after the question is resolved.

Note that based on TAMU accountability data, both Aerospace and Mechanical engineering are highly competitive (even all students are admitted to general engineering as freshmen). The admission rate is 15% and 19% last year. So having backup school if your son is determined to be an engineer is important. TAMU AO tries to pick students most likely successful to their desired engineering fields so even with holistic review, there is one more review based on the ETAM results after the freshmen year.

High math score works to your son’s advantage, the critical part will be the course strength and essays. Course strength such as finishing Calculus BC at 11 grade will help a lot not just for admission to TAMU, but for engineering review as well.

@FriscoDad

Where does 15% and 19% come from? You cant use the applied/admitted/accepted spreadsheet because it does not account for internal transfer from general engineering to a specific department.

This my reply to LuviasTexas on Oct 15 explaining what 15% refers to.

from luviastexas…“On the right leave everything at “ALL”, only check department Aerospace Engineering for example You can see 470 applied 71 accepted and 59 enrolled for last year”

from me…I see where you are coming from, but the data the spreadsheet is giving you does not mean acceptance into aero is 15%.

For 2020, if you change leve[ to just masters and phd, you get 42 enrolled and undergraduate transfers to aero is 17. 42+17 is 59. So 59 is just masters, phds, and transfers. Right now, the junior aero class is about 110, according to DS

This is how it was when my son, a current junior applied. Reviews started getting admitted and some had scores and such lower than some who had not yet heard back. Who knows how it all goes down? We can speculate all we want (I know I do!) but at the end of the day, admissions outside of the top 10% kids is a complete mystery. At the end of the day, it will all work out. Still waiting to hear about my daughter who would have qualified under the Academic Admit that they have just recently discontinued, so it’s frustrating!

3 Likes

Thanks and Gig 'em to all! Keeping fingers crossed.

We do already have backups in, but TAMU is our top choice.

1 Like

Did you ever get my message? I never got one from you. I posted the site.

@tinaw47 , I don’t think your son’s decision was “held up” because he selected two types of Engineering as his first and second choices. I think many students are open to more than one type of Engineering (my daughter included), as opposed to a second choice of something in a different college.

And checking “yes” to Blinn or other pathways is a good thing. It shows that you’re open to all opportunities. The Admissions speaker at Aggieland Saturday recommended that.

His 22% class rank and GPA are probably why his application is in the “he’s a Maybe so let’s set it aside and revisit it later” pile.

Have patience and try not to stress over it. Enjoy the weekend.

Thank you!