Texas A&M University Class of 2026

DS2 got the 7 Howdy tabs today. Applied Oct. 15.

Review admit (University Studies - Arts & Sciences / Pre-Med)
Rank first quarter (assigned by A&M)
SAT 1420, 720 ERW 700 Math (single sitting)
32 ACT composite (single sitting)
4.0 UW GPA/102 W
12 AP classes by graduation
In-state
National Merit Commended, College Board National Scholar, AP Scholar, NHS
EC: Student Council, Significant volunteer work

3 Likes

S22 OOS got his AIS status changed to Admitted to General Engg today. The 7 tabs showed up two days ago. Applied Sept 19th.

Stats:
State: OOS
Major: Mechanical Engg
GPA: UW 3.83;
AP: 5 completed Calc BC/Physics 1/Stats/Micro/Macro. Scored 4 in Physics and 5 in the rest.
Taking: Physics C, Comp Science.
ACT 34
ECs-Good; Robotics/Research projects/Presidential Service Award

This has been a very helpful forum and I am glad to be able to consult with you all.
One Q: Can we apply to housing before accepting? This is our first admit, and so wanted to know what our next steps ought to be for the admits in hand.

2 Likes

Yes! Apply as soon as possible. Complete phase 1 and pay $75 non refundable deposit.

Make sure you get an email telling you your time for phase 2. Many don’t complete phase 1 properly.

Phase 1 determines time stamp on when you get dorm selection.

Signing up for new student conference is kind of saying you’re committing but still not a commitment.

2 Likes

@ChristiR93 Do you happen to know if the NCS fee is refundable if the student can’t make the date…or if they choose another school (i’ll be so sad!)

1 Like

I don’t know for sure. But I wouldn’t sign up til you know. Not that you’re taking a spot but just because it’s not that big of a deal to rush to sign up. There will be plenty of classes that open up each conference so even if you wait and get a late July one, you’ll be fine.

3 Likes

thanks ! we will do so

Last year when DS was signing up for NSC, it was not refundable. However, once you sign up for NSC, you can change the date if there are openings.

2 Likes

@fishfamx4 NSC and Housing deposit are both non-refundable.

@franknd your student has some great stats! Did you research degrees/majors? I didn’t even know you could select University Studies as a major to start off with, I only see students majoring in US when they have too many hours to change majors, haven’t made their grades to stay in competitive majors. I worry your student may not be challenged much in US, and what’s the % of US majors that go on to pursue something in the medical field (since pre-med track was selected)?
Definitely no honors program for University Studies, which I think you mentioned he might be interested in.
Maybe you have researched it, and there’s more to US?

1 Like

Thanks. The idea is that he wants to take all the pre-reqs for med school but otherwise spend time in economics and liberal arts. But in looking, for example, at economics as a major, it wasn’t clear to me that he would have the flexibility to fulfill the pre-med reqs. What he doesn’t want to do is be a “biology” (or other typical science pre-med) major. So this was the most flexible way we could see to facilitate doing this. But if there are other/better options out there to do this we are all ears.
He has also applied to University Honors.

1 Like

Hi CristiR93, any insight from your friend? My son is waiting on a review admit- Viz (1st- I know, I know chances are slim to none and 2nd- Comp Eng). If she knows if Mays is almost full she might know about Viz.

Also, can you please tell me what Academic Admit used to be and why they discontinued it? Sounds like if he’d applied two years ago we wouldn’t be biting our nails right now.

I just realized we probably won’t hear anything on his until December for his since that is when the final deadline is and the auto admits will have had to turn in there applications. Does that sound right? Unless his major changes to his 2nd choice meaning Viz is filled up. I don’t even know if they have spaces open for review admits. I can’t find any stats on it.

@franknd he can do pre-med recs from any major, just needs to figure it out early and work with advisor/degree plan. One of my Aggie’s best friends is in Mays, and already has med school acceptance.
I am definitely not an expert. But if your son is NM Commended, wanting med school, he definitely won’t get the rigor, starting out in University Studies. University Honors is a lot of busy work, socials and a point system; it isn’t so much academic rigor. He’ll be stuck asking professors to ‘make’ his classes honors -to fulfill having a certain number of HNR-and they aren’t required to do that.
If he doesn’t want Biomedical/Allied Health/Public Health-type major, he should look at the Ag School. What about AgEcon, Agribusiness, Wildlife & Fisheries, Animal Science? Lots of Ag kids go on to Vet, Med & PA school.
I could be wrong, but honestly the only students I see in US are those that are out of major options, because they have failed out of a competitive major, can’t figure out what to do or have too many hours to transfer anywhere else.
Such great stats, I’d hate to see your son not get challenged. (Again, I’m not an expert! Maybe there is some hidden gem I don’t know about in University Studies? I’d at least try to find some numbers of how many US students get acceptance into pre-med programs after graduation).

1 Like

Viz ramblings:
I have seen stats somewhere. I think it was on the applied, admitted, enrolled page. It was about 20 or so non top 10% admitted each year to viz.
I have noticed they have a new website with faqs. Maybe I just had never come across it before. One of the questions is “do I need a background in art to be successful in viz?” It says yes.
When we toured it last year, the arch director that was showing us around said it was not necessary. I was skeptical about that at the time but went with it. Now I’m having second thoughts.
Anyway, it seems like there would be some vetting of applicants to viz if that is the case. They won’t just let anyone in who is admitted the university on a first come first served basis?
My son has taken digital media, animation, and game design in high school but not traditional art wondering now if he should change major choice.
I have a question in to the advisor at computing to find out if that will be a better fit for him.

2 Likes

It’s a big university and many departments/colleges etc. She has no idea what’s going on outside of business and since she’s MBA program, she wasn’t sure even on capacity of freshman Mays admittance, but that she usually hears something about it when it’s full. So there’s some hope.

Academic Admit was if you were in top quarter with qualifying scores on either SAT or ACT then you were automatically in. I believe it was 1360 for SAT with sub score 630 (?) or higher. and ACT of 30 with sub score Math and English at 27.

1 Like

Girl, you are way off the mark on University Studies. It is a hidden gem for those that don’t want to be pigeon holed into one thing. Has nothing to do with not getting into another major. In fact the Mays US program is competitive and not all get in.

I cannot attest to other US program competitiveness or rigor, but I will say it allows for you to be unique. In Mays US, a kid wanted to take over his family pet store. He did zoology along with some foreign language because they bought unique animals from overseas.

As long as @franknd student takes the prereqs and enjoys his major and minors… go for it. And @franknd, if looking at other majors, you’ll want to see how many general electives there are. If there are plenty (along with the 9 hours of science TAMU requires), then he can take any major (not just US). Thoughts or questions, let me know.

2 Likes

Good to know. I’ve honestly never seen anyone start out majoring in US, just see those end up with it, when they’ve exhausted all efforts in other majors.
I figured there must be something I’m missing.

1 Like

I would agree with @52AG82.
If I were on the ad com for med school, I would look at UG and wonder what that is and if someone were trying to do that as an easier way to bypass the rigor of an actual major. Not discounting the major but if people don’t really know what it is, that could be a problem.
I’m assuming your DC has AP or dual credit. Accepting that would open up time for the electives you want for med school. Additionally, people know what an econ major is, and there are not many applying to med school as an econ major, so that will be a way to stand out.

1 Like

University Studies in TAMU is not the same as “Undecided” in UT system.

US has a number of concentration areas. A concentration of Biomedical Science is a popular path to medical school. It is almost identical to the BIMS except student has a choice of adding 15-18 minor hours.

US are available in main campus and Galveston campus only, Galveston has only three US option.

3 Likes

So since this is the first year they have done away with Academic Admit, I wonder if we will have to wait a LOT longer to hear back? My son met the criteria, but it sounds like things are going to be different this year. We were hoping to hear back before the holidays!

1 Like

My son got a text this morning from A&M that his status had changed. Nothing on AIS yet, but he has six tabs. Mays

6 Likes