Texas A&M University Class of 2026

Congratulations!

1 Like

I had an academic admit two years ago and a review this year who would have met the academic admit criteria. It took a week longer this time. I don’t know, however, whether that is dependent on the major.

3 Likes

That is awesome!! I bet ya’ll are so excited! :slight_smile:

Can I ask what percentage he was in his class? My son is top 25% We are happy to hear there are still spots left in Mays! My son put down Economics as his 2nd choice… We are anxiously awaiting , but congrats to your son!!!

1 Like

This is the 2nd year of no academic admit.

2 Likes

It comes down to a math problem more than anything. I fully understand that someone can major in anything and follow a pre-med track. The problem, however, is fitting in all of the pre-med classes. By my count, that’s 47 hours:
https://opsa.tamu.edu/OPSA/media/library/Documents/PDFs/Pre-Med-Handout-2016.pdf
So when you’re looking at doing a non-science (i.e. bio, chem, etc.) major, it can get really tough figuring out where all those hours would fit. For example, using economics as an example, and allowing for 12 hours of AP credit (English and American History), fulfilling the major requirements and the other core distribution requirements leaves 42 hours for science and general electives. So you’re 5 hours short, which has to be made up by taking higher loads or summer school, and you get no opportunity to go outside of the major and pre-med classes. https://liberalarts.tamu.edu/economics/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2021/07/2020-2021-ECON-Degree-Plan.pdf

As far as what med school admissions committees think, from what I have read all they care about academically is overall GPA/science GPA and MCAT.

But like I said, I’m all ears if someone has actual knowledge how to fit in all the pre-med requirements outside of a bio/chem-type major other than doing it this way or overloading.

2 Likes

Your english/stat/9 hours of science are with most majors. So that’s 18 hours towards the rest.

I totally agree with you on what Med schools look for. He’ll be fine with any major.

I think you’ve chosen a great major with US Arts and Science. Econ is no joke though, some tough courses but interesting too and will give him a science break!

1 Like

Academic Admit was “a minimum SAT score of 1360 with at least 620 math and 660 reading and writing; and a composite ACT score of 30 with at least a 27 in math and 27 in English.”

The high reading and writing subscore tripped up a friend’s son who had a 1380 and had 740 math. He got in for econ but applied in late September. Mays was full by the time his app was reviewed.

Any many people not getting admitted that meet the previous academic admit criteria?

1 Like

Even though this year change the auto process to 10%, note that it is just a process. And top 10% is easy for AO as state law requires public HS rank top 10%.

TAMU will still accept majority of top 25%. Texas population and student performance won’t suddenly increase in one year. Unlike UT system, TAMU expands enrollment 4 years in a row even during the pandemic. TAMU has more space for sure to allow such growth.

1 Like

He is homeschooled, so automatically given top 25%. 3.98 unweighted GPA (a B in Latin one semester his freshman year) 20 hours taken at local college with a 4.0. ACT 31

1 Like

That’s top notch stat.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!! :slight_smile: My son is top 25% in one of these ginormous high schools in Houston. HAA! National Honor, captain of tennis team, all AP classes, 30 on ACT. But I know things have gotten super competitive~ especially for Mays, so we are crossing our fingers over here. That is so cool that they texted your son!

1 Like

I have a child at UT doing honors biology and plan II, sounds similar to US at TAMU, just different majors/wording.

2 Likes

This is the second year for only having Auto admit. TAMU does not accept the majority of top 25%, however the ones that are accepted are typically in the top 25% with solid test scores.

4 Likes

I wonder what percentage of acceptances are second quarter with solid test scores, extra curriculars and work experience? Waiting is a VIRTUE! I think my daughter finds comfort that there haven’t been massive waves of admits for anything other than engineering and Mays.

2 Likes

Good morning, I think I may need more coffee…you stated TAMU does not accept the majority of top 25%, can you clarify what you mean? Do you mean because they get mostly full with the top 10% auto admits? Thank you!

Also, what do you think would be considered “solid test scores?” Would scores that would previously have been eligible for academic admit (including sub scores) be considered solid for top quartile applicants?

2 Likes

That would be my assumption.

3 Likes

You can check TAMU accountability report. Competitive college like Mays admitted around 1150 auto-admit (top 10%) consistently for the last 5 years, around 60% enrolled . For non-auto, Mays admitted around 720 applicants on average for the last 5 years, around 48% enrolled.

But note that for non-auto Mays applicant, around 3700 applied on average the last two years. So for students outside top 10% of their class the chance dropped dramatically to 22%. So “solid test scores” (high SAT/ACT) for non-auto is important.

6 Likes

Good morning. Has anyone that received 7 tabs on Saturday had their official acceptance on AIS yet? My DS’s AIS changed to general engineering and had the 7 tabs in Howdy on Saturday, but AIS hasn’t updated to the official congratulations yet. The housing portal did open up for him today though. Is this normal?

1 Like

FriscoDad beat me to it, but yes, the Accountability report is probably the best resource to answer this question. It can break down admission rates between Top 10% auto admits and non-Top 10%. It does not get as specific as 1st quarter, 2nd quarter, etc.

For further context, the admission rates for the University in general (not specific to any major) for non-Top 10% freshman applicants over the past 5 years are 45.1%, 36.6%, 50.8%, 54.2%, and 48.6%. So, about half or maybe a little less, but again, this is all non-Top 10%, including arguably anyone applying from the bottom 10% to the 1st quarter.

4 Likes