The Bragging Thread

SIL will be the honored guest speaker at Harvard in 2 weeks, and at Yale in 4 weeks. He’s already presented seminars at Cal Tech and MIT this year. That just leaves Stanford and Princeton and he’ll have achieved the equivalent of the 7 Summits of mathematics in one year.

35 Likes

Wow!!

My 17 year old DS chats with a 2nd grader on the school bus sometimes. The girl initiated the friendship. Today is her birthday so he brought her a treat. Very sweet and makes me proud. He says she is very proud to have a big kid she can talk to.

27 Likes

That is so sweet and what a model for a well-raised young man!

When your company sends you along with 5 others to a top tech conference:

Full conference pass - $1,850
6 Nights Hotel - $1,500
RT Airfare - $1,400

The confidence boost you get when you find out you are the only non-PhD that your company is sending - Priceless

Way to go son!

18 Likes

Phi Beta Kappa. Top award for the senior who shows promise in advanced study of math (though Physics is his passion in his double major). Heading to Georgetown for a Ph.D. in Industrial Leaderships in Physics (a program that prepares for work in industry not academia ) with a full scholarship and stipend. Hard work pays off.

33 Likes

OMG you guys! We finally saw the completed piece our D designed and has been working on for about 6 months, for her senior thesis project. I’d seen the drawings, the fabrics, even bits and bobs but to see it, complete, on a being, it came to life! Tomorrow she presents it, along with her portfolio, to the Costume Design Guild (the Screen Actors Guild for costumers). She has a video set up, her sketches, mood boards and more, showcasing everything she’s done this past year. She even got thumbs up from her employer to show costumes she’s designed that were produced, several that went viral online. One video clip is about a minute long, of a very famous actor (we’re not allowed to drop names) parading around, showing off costumes she designed for him for a feature film in current production. Another is the female wrestler unveiling her new “look.” Numerous concert footage pieces as well. And well, of course, the Grammy’s pieces!

I literally cried when I saw what she’s presenting.

Next week she starts the first of 2 films she’s been chosen to work on in the costume department.

She’s doing it! And if you couldn’t tell, we couldn’t be more proud of the hard work she’s put into this, and how far she’s come.

41 Likes

Grateful both college kids ended up with paid internships this summer. Covering the cost of gas and having great experiences related to their majors and career interests.

22 Likes

D2 graduates from her residency program on Thursday. She just received an award for outstanding contributions in the field of family planning in [state where she currently works]. She’s been appointed as a visiting faculty member at the academic hospital & medical school where she complete her residency, with the promise of permanent faculty appointment upon her completion of fellowship.

40 Likes

Congrats!!!

I have permission to share the original sketch of my Ds final thesis that she presented with her portfolio (but not her name :rofl:)

It’s the tooth fairy character for a (pretend) remake of a children’s film - look carefully and you’ll see teeth everywhere incorporated in the design. The year 1927 harkens to the era the tooth fairy myth entered the cultural lexicon. A costume 6 months in the making, 45 hours alone hand beading. She made all of it from the headpiece to the shoes.

34 Likes

I’m back - and I just need to say our household is buzzing right now…2 of the 11 garments my D hand embellished for Bruno Mars & Anderson .Paak (and the band) for the 2022 Grammy’s are currently on exhibit at The Grammy Museum! These are actually Bruno’s and Anderson’s.
Bruno and Anderson Grammy Museum 2022 cropped

37 Likes

You’re having a good week, @JustaMom , aren’t you!

1 Like

Feels like it! After 16 days hospitalized I’ll take all of it!

7 Likes

I love when you post about your daughter’s work- truly amazing!

2 Likes

Thank you - it feels so…I don’t know the word…sappy maybe. What’s really interesting is the number of clients that have contacted her directly since the Grammy’s - wrestler Sonya DeVille & Lizzo came back for more, Taylor Swift just outfitted her back up dancers, and Beyonce requested a pair of (amazing!) gloves for use in a Tiffany & Co. campaign. These are all her designs, under her employer’s label.

Having watched my “baby” grow from literally using scotch tape, then a stapler, to clothe her Jasmine & Aladdin dolls when she was 4, to this, is surreal. She was literally born to do this. I’m thankful I appreciate the arts and never squelched her pursuits.

25 Likes

That Grammy Museum is a hidden gem.

1 Like

Yup - just think of the number of folks here on CC who would refuse to pay for college if their kid was majoring in the arts! :rofl:

7 Likes

Ironically we’ve been supporting members since it opened. We love it!

1 Like

She contacted the Grammy Museum and they provided three photos they used in their press release.

15 Likes