The Lincoln Highway - August CC Book Club Selection

I’m on a long wait for Lessons in Chemistry too but I just started the Once and Future Witches. I like it so far already!

I just finished the Girl in his Shadow and really enjoyed it but it does go into details, and I felt like it ended prematurely. There is a second book though (but I’m on the waiting list for that too). I’m not sure I would recommend it for a book club discussion.

3 Likes

I recognized that Lessons in Chemistry would be hard to get, ergo suggesting it for future consideration if not October. But now it sounds like everyone is putting it on hold :wink:! So by the time it might make the finals, we’ll all have read it? Like I said, I would gladly read it again.

Another possibility is Daisy Jones and the Six - my favorite Taylor Jenkins Reid book.

Presumably Once and Future Witches is not like Lois the Witch

Such a fun book!

1 Like

I haven’t read Daisy Jones and the Six. and know everyone seems to like it.

Yeah, I just looked up The Pull of the Stars. It won’t make it to my long list of to-read books. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

@Mary13: I need your excellent memory or archiving (whatever). Do you remember the name of the CC Book Club discussion book with harrowing medical details? Let’s see a pregnant nun who dies in childbirth (maybe), the doctor (father), twin boys (raised not by their father but by …), etc. A vasectomy (possibly/maybe) gone wrong that covered pages and pages of unnecessary - truly - detail.

You liked the harrowing medical details. I stopped and started and stopped and started the book because basically I don’t want to know more than the name of the medical procedure and whether or not the outcome is good.

One of these days you need to list - just list/not link to discussion - the names of all CC Book Club books since inception in 2009. It is truly a wonder and YAY! for you starting and leading this for that long.

2 Likes

Are you thinking of Cutting for Stone by Verghese?

2 Likes

Yes, was just going to ask Cutting for stone -

1 Like

Hi @Tiredofsnow

And, yes, that’s it.

OMG on the medical details. I’d never have considered a vasectomy after reading that book. (Totally a good thing because, hey, I’m not male.)

I’m actually not kidding about skipping the details. When my husband had various surgeries and the doctor came out to report on how it had gone, they quickly learned no details - just a final yay or nay.

2 Likes

Just wanted to add that the three women I played tennis with on Sunday were raving about Billie Jean King’s autobiography (I think called All In? One said she was listening to it and highly recommended listening to at least a bit of it to hear BJK speaking.

Not sure if there would be enough interest from everyone to make it a CC book club selection, but the enthusiasm made me want to read it.

And yes, thank you so much for being our fearless leader, @Mary13! Years worth of great discussions!

1 Like

I think DECADES of great discussions, and I’m so grateful to @mary13!
She juggles it all so well, so fair and balanced always!

It’s happy hour in the east so I drink a toast, of gratitude, to the CC book discussions and especially @Mary13 !

1 Like

Thanks, everyone! This book club is one of my all-time favorite ways to spend my time.

Re our October selection, I’m going to eliminate Lessons in Chemistry because of the limited availability. At #800 on the waiting list, @AnAsmom would be 102 years old before she got her hands on a copy. Maybe things will change by December.

Other suggestions are below. (I randomly chose one recommended by “Debbie” [which just made me think of “Dennis” :slightly_smiling_face:]).

The Good Wife of Bath by Karen Brooks
Once and Future Witches by Alix Harrow
The Nature of Fragile Things by Sue Meissner
Peyton Place by Grace Metalious
Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling
Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid
All In by Billie Jean King

Vetoes? Additions?

Thanks @Mary13 for all your fine efforts!

I’ll chime in:

Took a look at the beginning of Once and Future Witches and realized I either tried reading it, or did read it but don’t remember finishing it. Either way, unlikely to try again.

Not really a biography (or autobiography) reader so would probably skip All In.

I may or may not have read some of The Canterbury Tales (if I did, it would be in the dark days of Great Books in college) but The Good Wife of Bath looks interesting. If I wouldn’t have to read Chaucer to appreciate it, I’m fine with it.

Everything else is copacetic (of course I would prioritize my own recommendations :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:.)

Did we once consider Circe by Madeline Miller? (The search function here keeps giving me a 502 error.) I have read it but would be fine reading it again.

1 Like

Well, my vote is for Peyton Place, obviously. I’m eager to discuss its feminist perspective with smart people.

But as usual I’ll go with anything the group decides. (Except Middlemarch. I sat that one out.)

2 Likes

I have no strong feelings, positive or negative, about any of the books on the list above from @Mary13. My only 2 cents is I’m somewhat intrigued at the thought of reading “Peyton Place” all these years later.

The Good Wife of Bath - We haven’t tackled a novel set in that time period yet, but we’ve had some really good discussions when we dipped back in time with The Weight of Ink and Hamnet.

Peyton Place - I remember hearing about it “back in the day” but never read it.

Daisy Jones and the Six - Been there and done that with this one (really good) but long enough ago that it’ll be like reading a new book.

The audio version is great (full cast): Cast List: Daisy Jones, read by Jennifer Beals; Billy Dunne, read by Pablo Schreiber; Graham Dunne, read by Benjamin Bratt; Eddie Loving, read by Fred Berman; Warren Rhodes, read by Ari Fliakos; Karen Karen, read by Judy Greer; Camila Dunne, read by January LaVoy; Simone Jackson, read by Robinne Lee; Narrator/Author, read by Julia Whelan; Jim Blades, read by Jonathan Davis; Rod Reyes, read by Henry Leyva; Artie Snyder, read by Oliver Wyman; Elaine Chang, read by Nancy Wu; Freddie Mendoza, read by P.J. Ochlan; Nick Harris, read by Arthur Bishop; Jonah Berg, read by Holter Graham; Greg McGuinness, read by Brendan Wayne; Pete Loving, read by Pete Larkin; Wyatt Stone, read by Alex Jenkins Reid; Hank Allen, read by Robert Petkoff; Opal Cunningham, read by Sara Arrington.

The Good Wife of Bath - I know zilch about the Canterbury Tales, and goodread reviews are solid.

Once and future witches, hard to get but would have been a front runner

The nature of fragile things- a page turner, likeable characters, woman centric in all ways………

Daisy and the six- would there be enough to discuss
Peyton place, may have plenty to discuss but given this political climate I fear we are headed back to those days :pleading_face:

Really I’ll read any of those suggested ……

The Good Wife of Bath by Karen Brooks I’d love to read this.
Once and Future Witches by Alix Harrow Mixed reviews, but sounds potentially interesting.
The Nature of Fragile Things by Sue Meissner Not sure if I have the same taste in books as “Debbie”, but this looks promising.
Peyton Place by Grace Metalious - I’d read it, but it doesn’t really grab me.
Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling I don’t think it sounds interesting, she apparently reference her first book of essays often enough that one might want to read that one instead. It’s Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (and other concerns)
Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid (Fleetwood Mac of the Rumours era is one of my favorites, so I definitely am interested in reading this sooner or later.)
All In by Billie Jean King I don’t play tennis, and I’m not generally a fan of autobiographies, but I’m old enough to remember King well. She had an interesting life, I’d be willing to read it.

1 Like

My choices in order.
Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid for October since so many of y’all liked it and would like to read again.
I’ve read it, love Fleetwood Mac and music from that period but just couldn’t like the book. Maybe a good discussion was the missing ingredient!

The Good Wife of Bath
This could be the push I need to read Chaucer. Have tried several times and given up.

Once and Future Witches by Alix Harrow
The Nature of Fragile Things by Sue Meissner
All In by Billie Jean King
Peyton Place by Grace Metalious
Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling

You want me to order my list? :wink:

1. The Good Wife of Bath by Karen Brooks I’d love to read this.
  2. Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid (Fleetwood Mac of the Rumours era is one of my favorites, so I definitely am interested in reading this sooner or later.)
  3. The Nature of Fragile Things by Sue Meissner Not sure if I have the same taste in books as “Debbie”, but this looks promising.
  4. All In by Billie Jean King
  5. Once and Future Witches by Alix Harrow Mixed reviews, but sounds potentially interesting.