The Lincoln Highway - August CC Book Club Selection

I checked out the ebook of The Good Wife of Bath yesterday – no wait. It looks promising.

I’m on hold for Lessons in Chemistry (about 12 weeks), so I’m glad we’re waiting for that one.

No vetoes, willing to try any of the others! Love the discussion here, even when I’m only lurking.

1 Like

Thanks, all. Taking into consideration the vetoes and the comments above, I am narrowing the list from seven to three:

The Good Wife of Bath by Karen Brooks
Peyton Place by Grace Metalious
Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

I went back and forth on including Daisy Jones and the Six because so many of us have already read it, but I’ll throw it into the mix and see where it lands. Please rank the above three in order of preference and we’ll see if there’s a clear preference!

The one good thing about Peyton Place is it’s available online for free. I have not read any of these books and would be willing to try but am most nervous about Chaucer.

My library doesn’t own good wife of bath :frowning:

I am fine with any but in order of preference:

The good wife of bath

Daisy jones and the six

Peyton place

1. The Good Wife of Bath

2. Daisy Jones and the Six or Peyton Place. No order of preference.

No one is going to make you read Chaucer! I’m not sure I will, I’ve started it a few times. If you’ve read Anya Seton’s Katherine (swoon, one of my favorite romantic reads) - you might remember that Chaucer is her brother-in-law.

The people have spoken and the clear first choice is The Good Wife of Bath, so that will be our October selection!

Thoughts:

@momofboiler1, my library is open to purchasing specific titles requested by patrons. Maybe you could ask your librarian about that? Does your library have an inter-library loan system, where they could request the book from a neighboring library?

@HImom, I just want to reiterate what @mathmom said: This will not be a duet read with Chaucer. I’m sure we’ll talk about The Canterbury Tales in discussion, and anyone who wants to dip into Chaucer on their own is welcome – but that won’t be me!

@VeryHappy, Peyton Place will go back on the list for the next round. We’ll get there eventually. “Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.” - Walter Elliott

I’ll start a new thread!

3 Likes

Turns out our library has hard copies so I put a hold on the book. They have 17 copies so hopefully it won’t take too long.

2 Likes

There is no library in the state of Mississippi that has The Good Wife of Bath. I am glad that there are some on E-bay. They did have Daisy Jones and the Six and Peyton Place. Oh, well, I will have to buy this one too.

No worries, @Mary13. If we don’t read and discuss Peyton Place with this group, I’d still like to discuss it with anyone who reads it.

Interesting, I am 1 of 1 on wait list for The Good Wife of Bath. One copy on order… hmm, maybe it will be a newly arriving title.

I was busy at work today and didn’t get a chance to vote, but my first choice won anyway! And I’m adding The Nature of Fragile Things to my personal list, since 3 of my grandparents (and a lot of other relatives) lived through the San Francisco earthquake. We took a family trip to SF just for the 100th anniversary. :smile: So thanks for that recommendation @jerseysouthmomchess!

2 Likes

I started the book yesterday ebook from library and it’s such a page turner! I woke in middle of night and read for while and haven’t done that in a long time.
It’s 367 epages I have 80 pages to go !
Don’t know how it ends but up to now it’s been five star book.
You will love it, and will visualize all the details she mentions about the earthquake- fascinating.

1 Like

If anyone is interested in a nonfiction book about an amazing woman, I highly recommend The Woman They Could Not Silence by Kate Moore It’s a page-turner.

1 Like

So what are you reading that is not CC Book Club related?

The Deepest of Secrets - Kelley Armstrong. (Rockton, #7) I enjoy this series, some of the books more than others, of course. But all in all, a solid escapist series.

Two Nights in Lisbon - Chris Pavone. Thriller. And a good one. Super long waitlist at the library but I’ll finish in plenty of time.

Behind the Scenes at the Museum - Kate Atkinson. Ever have the feeling you should like a book more than you do. I’m having trouble with this one, so slid it underneath the other books in my usual bedside table pile. I am having definite trouble with the who’s who which slides on occasion into the why-do-I-care.

West with Giraffes - Lynda Rutledge. Picked it up today and should start on it as it’s waitlisted at the library.

@CBBBlinker: You mentioned that one of your IRL bookclubs chose The Fountains of Silence - Ruta Sepetys. I’d never heard of it but picked it up after you mentioned it. Glad I did. I’ve recommended it several times now.

Looks like a lot of reading but am almost through with the top two and am not pushing myself into Behind the Scenes at the Museum, though I will finish it - in increments, hoping that somehow I’ll engage with the characters, because it is definitely character-driven.

1 Like

I have two memoirs about Hong Kong which a number of reviewers have paired together. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/18/books/review/in-hong-kong-the-search-for-a-single-identity.html I’m about half way through Louisa Lim’s Indelible City, so far I’m finding it really interesting - it’s about how we write history and make our own myths about who we are. I remembered Louisa Lim very well from her days as at NPR reporting from the mainland, mostly I’ll confess because she can’t pronounce the letter R, but did not have a Chinese accent otherwise. I would have loved to have read it before we went to Hong Kong, but of course the whole impetus for the book is what happened in the year or two after we left. (We lived there for a few months in the fall of 2018.)

I haven’t started the other book yet - the author is, I think, considerably younger.

I’m also reading the fifth book in The Expanse novels which are now way ahead of where we are in the TV series which we are also watching.

I couldn’t find the copy of Chaucer that I remember owning as a stand alone book, but I did find two different Norton Anthology’s of English Literature in the attic. Interesting one has more tales than the other, but I’m not sure either is complete. In case you are wondering the first footnote says, “The Wife of Bath is the remarkable culmination of many centuries of an antifeminism that was particularly nurtured by the medieval church.” I’m stoked! :wink:

2 Likes

I have a list, but didn’t add the authors. You folks will have to test your collective memories to fill that part in.

1 Like