The New Living-Learning Community at Pritchard Hall

Hello, I just got accepted to VT recently and they offered me the new living-learning community at Pritchard Hall. I really want to be placed at Pritchard Hall but I am not sure about the living learning community. what are my chances of getting placed at Pritchard hall if i don’t join the LLC or is it worth it to join?

Pritchard is huge (over 500 rooms) and the LLC is very small. If you get your housing contract in there should be plenty of other rooms in Pritchard outside the Small LLC which probably take up 30 at most.

I believe also there were previously some others in Pritchard that have now moved over to o’shag

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/news/new-llc-studio-encourages-engagement-in-the-arts/article_f7d7a0ce-a6e5-11e7-9855-d7bd78d916a3.html

@hoppin8 Just out of curiosity, why are you really wanting to be placed at Pritchard? I graduated in 1992 and I’m sure it’s much different now than then.

@hokieinCO Well according to what I’ve read Pritchard Hall is very social as opposed to other halls and relatively close to dining halls and the gym.

@hoppin8 yes, it is very close to Dietrich (by gym do you mean War Memorial gym? if so I think it is really close to that too). Way back when I was there it was a massive dorm full of not-very-clean guys :)) My son will find out Tuesday if he got into VT (Regular decision). We are holding off touring until we find out if he got in. He’s been on campus before and we didn’t want to pay to fly out from Colorado if he doesn’t get in. So…all that to say…I’m pretty clueless on what dorms are more desired nowadays and it’s good to get perspective - thanks!

I think there are 3 LLCs in Pritchard, the Arts one noted above in the collegiate times article, Innovate (entrepreneurship) , and Thrive (personal growth). None are new this year, although the Arts one launched in 2017, so if there is a new one launching, I don’t know what it is. My daughter is in the Arts LLC now. Loves it. The leadership one used be in Pritchard but is now a two year res college in Oshag.

But each LLC in Pritchard occupies a small part of a very large dorm so there should be plenty of spots in Pritchard for nonLLC members.

Pritchard is currently home to 3 LLC’s I believe. It is close to Dietrick, although it’s not really a long walk to any of the gyms or dining halls from the residence halls.

@hokieinCO funny video from a few years ago,about Pritchard going coed.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CVZpYom-t-8

@PhilipM thanks for the good Friday afternoon laugh. That was awesome. Yes, I remember it as smelly, gross and trash littering the elevators. I was in a small dorm all four years and loved it. Main Egg my first two years, then an RA in East Campbell, then an RA in Johnson. What is OShag like now? I think my son would like a large dorm, plus I saw it’s got pool tables and the outdoor basketball courts.

@hokieinCO I have not been in Oshag so dont really know.It was recently renovated and I hear the public spaces are nice. Pritchard is like that too, recently renovated, although not as extensively as Oshag, I gather. My daughhter lives in Pritchard now. No smell, nice public lounges and such, dorm rooms about same as they have ever been. The LLC experience has been great. I highly recommend the LLCs.

@PhilipM if my son gets in he will be a business major. It looks like the only LLC for business is Innovate? Do you know what percentage of on campus students are in LLCs vs. how many are not? Why do you highly recommend them? Thanks for your time!!

Just figured out there is to be a 4th LLC in Pritchard, Via, for University Studies people.https://llc.vt.edu/VIA.html

@hokieCo, I don’t know total numbers, but I don’t think its high, certainly less than 1/2 anyway. They range in size from several hundred to just a few 10s of students. For my daughter, the LLC has been such a positive experience. It offered a built in social group, helped make a big place feel small, and just right off the bat helped her find her tribe, as it were. I think Innovate is the only one specifically tied to Pamplin, but some of the others are open to all majors.

I think I read Thrive moves to Oshag

There is a list that n thrnhousing contract. I will have to relook as I missed Innovate as I didn’t see any Pamplin ones.

Innovate is not Pamplin exclusively but Pamplin helps support it.

https://llc.vt.edu/

I know Pamplin is building their new building with LLC inside it - but 4 years down road.

Per the 2019-2020 housing contract here are the LLC’s you can choose from:

•Arts and Creativity (Studio 72)
•Culture and Identity (Ujima)
•Engineering (Galileo and Hypatia)
•Entrepreneurship (Innovate)
•Honors (Hillcrest and the Honors Residential Commons)
•Language and Global Learning (Mozaiko)
•Leadership and Social Change (Leadership and Social Change Residential College)
•Personal Growth (Thrive)
•Residential College at West Ambler Johnston
•Sciences (Orion)
•Transfer Students (Transfer Experience)
•University Studies (VIA)
•Well-being (Meraki)

Thanks for posting that @cbl1

Looks like your into cycle 3 of the LLC application process. Per attached the website
https://llc.vt.edu/apply.html, you can apply to up 3 via the housing contract.

Cycle 3
Students apply by March 31
Program Directors will send decisions by April 1
Students must accept or decline all offers by April 15

My boyfriend currently lives in Pritchard Hall. He claims it’s the lesser of other dormitories since his neighbors make a lot of noise and his room is small. I’ve been to his dorm and it’s not too bad, but the community simply depends on the people. His RA is apparently cool.

@pungie2000 Based on my daughter’s experience, I would say that experiences in Pritchard vary. I suspect experiences across all the older Traditional Dorms…Vawter, Lee,Pritchard, etc. will be similar. . My daughter’s Art nerd floor is pretty quiet and the rooms vary is size, but there are some rowdy elements there…and probably in every dorm.its a good idea to look at dorm floor plans when picking rooms because you can tell which rooms are larger, and some of the newer dorms with AC have the smallest rooms.