The Tours, The Journey and the Decisions moving forward

Thanks everyone! The scholarship weekend was university wide, not Frost specific. In fact, of the 400 invitees, only 4 were Frost applicants. It was the Stamps/Singer scholarship, but not the Stamps they award to a Frost quartet. This was purely academic.

Since there are so many discussions of how many academically rigorous classes to take in high school, especially senior year, I am wondering if you can tell us the criteria for the Frost academic scholarship and why you think he won one? Grades? Scores? Recommendations? Were course rigor and number of classes taken important?

@vistajay Congrats indeed!

@compmom , Miami is generous with academic scholarships. They invited 400 students to scholarship weekends (2 weekends, about 200 students each weekend). Stamps is a full ride, and I think they give out only about 5-6 of those. My son was not awarded Stamps, but did receive the full tuition Singer Scholarship. They give out 80 or so of those, across the university. In past years, it appears Frost applicants were not invited to this scholarship weekend, as the weekend occurs around the same time as Frost auditions and before Frost admits anyone. (My son auditioned for Frost the same weekend as he was interviewing for the Stamps/Singer scholarships, which was a little crazy.) Also, Frost does have its own pool of money. Frost has their own Stamps scholarships (which have been discussed in this thread) and music merit money. This year, 4 Frost applicants were invited to the Stamps/Singer Scholarship weekends. I cannot say if the other 3 also were awarded Singer (or even Stamps), but we did meet each of them and they had top academic credentials and were quite impressive. As for my son’s academic stats, he has a 35 ACT, 1540 SAT, is a NMF, has a 3.9 UW GPA (4.5 W), and has taken all the top AP and other honors courses at his HS. I think he will be in the top 15 or so students of 290 graduates, maybe top 12. He did not lighten his academic load this year, and in fact has more AP classes this year than junior year. He definitely could have spent more time working on his music, and his audition prescreen tapes were not his best effort. His live auditions later in the year were much better. But our strategy was to hope that schools saw his music potential such that he would get a music admittance and perhaps some music talent merit money, and also give him academic merit money. He did not apply to many academic reaches, but targeted colleges with good music schools where he could also get academic merit money. If we were not hunting for merit money, and were solely focused on getting into a tippy top music school, he might have spent more time on his music and less on academics, but everyone has their own path.

OMG, OMG!!! My daughter just got accepted to Vanderbilt which is her first choice!!! She is over the moon. But of course we still need to hear about scholarships!!

Congrats, @NYsaxmom ! Very impressive! Blair, and Vandy in general, are just amazing.

She love the place and the prof, Bill Jackson, when she auditioned. And they are only taking 2!!!

@NYsaxmom Wow!!! Super huge congratulations to you and your daughter! Such exciting news!

And as a warning to all…this email sat in her junk file for 3 days until she found it! Make sure your kids check their spam!!!

Holy cow! I try to remind my DD of this often. I believe one of her early admits or audition date emails was in her junk folder.

Congratulations @NYsaxmom ‘s D!!! This is shaping up to be a pretty good month all around!

Congratulations! How wonderful!

@NYsaxmom congratulations!! Your D is the only music school applicant I have read about on any forum whose being recruited like a top Division I athlete. I suspect there will be much swag. She must be very very talented!

@vistajay congrats on the full ride for your S. When you have a kid whose brilliant, must have been some intense discussions around being a musician or an astronaut, surgeon, etc. Then again, why not both! Congrats again.

@winjammer thank you, you are very kind, but it has been full of ups and downs. She applied to many concerto competitions and although she made several finals she didnt make the ones she really wanted (the navy and marine bands) and didn’t win any cash prizes in the finals she made, so she was feeling really bummed, especially the two she did this past weekend (one we learned a lesson in making sure the accompanist knows how to play their part!!!)
But I told her I prefer good college offers to any competition wins!! Big picture!!!
Also I think she’s been successful as she was realistic in the schools she applied to. Having said that, Vandy was definitely her reach, so she is thrilled

Great news! @NYsaxmom Congratulations to you and your daughter!

I am so thrilled to hear all this wonderful news!

Wow CC music major community, you rock! Keep the good news coming.

Congrats all! What great news1 For those who are waiting - remember, they will end up where they are supposed to be. And if you come back here next March and drop this very glib line to me - and I will scream :slight_smile:

My non-music major daughter was a Stamps Scholar at a different school. As described at Frost, this was a subset of the major scholarships awarded and these were specifically funded by the Stamps Foundation. It made her eligible for a yearly? convention of Stamps Scholars. Rather than just pooling in the significant contribution to the general scholarship fund, the kids are further identified as Stamps Scholars. It’s an interesting approach to academic giving. There are many schools in the program now.

Here’s hoping for some positive news today…at least I’ve been at a meeting yesterday and again today so I can’t portal surf all day long. Hoping Miami sends out decisions today!!