The Tours, The Journey and the Decisions moving forward

There most likely is no primary voice teacher at some of these schools (like the Ivies), or rather it might be hard to determine during application. I have communicated on this forum with people who did contact the music dept. but it didn’t necessarily help them get in.

If accepted, then a student can try to attend classes and meet professors.

For the sake of admissions, a recording, resume, and letters of recommendation usually give enough information for the college to have a picture of the applicant and whether they are at the “highest level.” If they want to know more, they can pursue it.

Our feeling was that if everyone applying to an Ivy or other top college, tried to meet with professors, it would be a nightmare for the faculty. We even asked if it would make it easier to cue the best 3 minutes in the recording to make it easier for admissions and anyone else who listened.

I am sure admissions sends some or even most supplements to the department. Some may be a slam dunk without that and some may be clear no’s.

These are not like conservatories,

Both Columbia and Barnard didn’t want a music supplement–as in, they wouldn’t consider it or show it to anyone. D was accepted into Barnard and we tried to meet with the music department and get more info about private voice lessons. They would not even commit to whether she would get lessons through the school. She would have to audition and preference always went to upper classmen. So we knew if she attended, chances are we would have to pay out of pocket for voice lessons.

I think the attitude toward a supplement may vary with the student’s background and accomplishments. A music supplement to the common app can be a crucial factor in admission for some students and I am quite sure those schools do consider them.

uskoolfish the rest of your post reflects the experience of many though…lessons may be with grad students or may have to be arranged with teachers in the area, or with adjunct “applied music” faculty. The music major at Ivies and other selective schools is not a performance degree, but a liberal arts degree, though there may be credit for lessons and performance and some performance component in some classes, for instance, theory. Many schools will provide funding for lessons, though, or provide lessons on campus.

Here is the text from Columbia admissions:
Artistic Talents and Performance
Candidates who wish to bring their talents in the creative and performing arts to our academic and extracurricular community on campus are welcome to submit supplementary materials that demonstrate these talents, though please note that these submissions are optional and not required for the admissions process. Candidates are also welcome to submit a letter of recommendation from an instructor or adviser for our review as a supplement to the application.
Dance, Drama and Theatre Arts, Film, Music and Visual Arts
On the Common Application or the Coalition Application, please indicate your intention to submit an arts supplement in Columbia’s member questions; you will then be provided a link to begin your supplement through our SlideRoom portal page. Please be sure to select the program within SlideRoom that aligns with the application (Coalition Application or Common Application) that you are submitting.
Live auditions are not part of Columbia’s admissions process, but auditions for private lessons, selective ensembles, troupes and various productions are held for enrolled students at the start of each academic year.
Each SlideRoom submission incurs a fee, listed in each program below. SlideRoom fee waivers are automatically provided for all applicants receiving a Common Application fee waiver through the Common Application system, and will be provided for all applicants receiving a Coalition Application fee waiver.

HAPPY COLLEGE DECISION DAY!!! After many failed attempts to upload my new profile pic I finally figured it out by stealing the photo from the official FB page haha!

It’s official! D is headed to the Big Apple to study at The New School of Jazz and Contemporary music! SHE IS THRILLED!!! She attended the admitted students day on Sunday the 22nd then spent 2 full days auditing classes there and meeting and getting to know faculty. After a lot of tours, auditions and journeys and never quite feeling the right fit, she found her home. They loved her there and she loved them. I couldn’t be happier. An added bonus was additional money being awarded to her at the 11th hour last night bringing her scholarship to 75% tuition.

This has been a crazy ride and I am so grateful for all of the friendship and camaraderie on this site and especially this thread. I can’t imagine having navigated these waters alone. Best wishes to all of you and your amazing kids and I can’t wait to see the final decisions pouring in on the thread today!

P.S. If someone told me last November that we would be right down to the wire on May 1st I would have hyperventilated into a brown paper bag! :-))

Congratulations on hitting this milestone! I’ve heard great things about The New School and it’s the next one on our list to visit. I’m sure she’ll flourish there especially given all the gigging opportunities NYC enables. Enjoy this day!

Wow, last night! That really is down to the wire. Congrats to you and your talented D!

Good job!

Congrats to you @SpartanDrew and your talented D. Wonderful news! Great choice and I’m sure today you feel like 200 pounds off your shoulders. I sure hope the best for your D during her college experience and beyond. Well done!

Congratulations!!! What an amazing journey and a very happy ending (or beginning ;))for your D… and you!

Congratulations @SpartanDrew and welcome to to Gotham D!

A big congrats on all! Four years in the big apple will be amazing. Now you get to relax for a few months before shopping in earnest.

@SpartanDrew I’m so happy for your D! Congratulations!

CONGRATULATIONS @SpartanDrew and D!!! FINALLY! So exciting! I am so happy that your D found her special place and well done for making those financials work out, Mom!

A huge CONGRATS @SpartanDrew and D! MY D spent 4 years in NYC and it was amazing, transformative, unbelievable. Let the adventure begin!!

@compmom Thanks for the update on Columbia/ Barnard. That is a change. Not like that when D applied for music and younger D was considering options for art.

Congratulations to your daughter @SpartanDrew!

@SpartanDrew Congrats to your D and all the other students going off to school.

To the parents, your house will be a lot quieter, deafeningly so at first, but trust me, you’ll learn to love the quiet. You will celebrate their music even more when they return home.

@SpartanDrew Congratulations! I’m so happy for you and DD! I know she will love The New School and NYC!

Thank you for starting this thread. It has been so helpful to share this journey with everyone.

@SpartanDrew congratulations!!