The "U" takes front and center

<p>The planned change has finally come. Take a look here: </p>

<p>|</a> University of Miami</p>

<p>I think it is a good move, the logo is recognized throughout the country and overseas too.</p>

<p>My S (the new alum!) read about this yesterday and was very excited to see it.</p>

<p>Congrats my-3-sons, you must be very proud:-)</p>

<p>Really? My eyes rolled when I read this:</p>

<p>"The new visual identity plan has been in the works for the past year and is being phased in gradually. Before its rollout, University Communications conducted extensive research on the new identity, holding focus groups in Chicago, Los Angeles, and New York and conducting an alumni survey. Results affirmed the positive attributes of the split-U mark and the benefits of adapting it as a symbol of pride for the whole University.</p>

<p>Menendez said the mark was “perceived as diverse, modern, confident, and bold.”</p>

<p>Frankly, I’m rather upset about this. It took a whole year and how much money to decide that attaching the “U” logo to e-mails is a revolutionary and exciting idea? Pleh…</p>

<p>A topical anecdote from today…Midwest garage sale, seller talking to another customer, I have on a cap with just the “U” logo…Customer asked about used textbooks, seller looks at me (not even in the conversation) and says, “Yeah, their used, and we know used can still mean expensive if you need them tommorow for class.” The “U” is known all over. What’s wrong with the “U” being on a Fulbright or Rhodes Scholar anouncement from the school? it is all about getting the word out, getting the best scholars and athletes to the school.</p>