Thoughts on the Titan submersible incident?

Why wasn’t the composite material tested under simulated high pressure on land (at least under laboratory conditions) for extended period of time to see how it performed and to observe any structural degradation/deformation?

1 Like

As I mentioned before, people delude themselves. Like our client who declined our services to make sure her heavy hot tub was supported appropriately. “Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good” was her comment. WTH? I got the feeling that was the CEO’s feeling. It’s frustrating as an engineer when we know things can be made reliably safe with planning and good construction.

5 Likes

For every Elizabeth Holmes, there is a Steve Jobs……and more

Perhaps some of the difference is that:

1. I, and the idiot, are required - by the government - to have insurance for my car.

2. I, and the idiot, are required - by the government - to have valid drivers licenses.

3. I, and the idiot, are required - by the government - to follow the traffic laws.

4. I, and the idiot, are required - by the government - to maintain our cars to a certain level of safety. (No broken headlights, valid inspection, current registration, etc.)

5. I, and the idiot, cannot build our own vehicles, and drive them on public roads.

6. If I, or the idiot, disobey the requirements there are consequences (fines, jail time, loss of driving privileges, law suits, etc.)

7. Cars are required - by the government - to have a certain level of safety before they can be sold to consumers.

These requirements help increase the safety on the roads for the greater good.

Yes, accidents still happen, and yes there are still idiots out there, but the general public has followed a lot of rules to minimize them.

12 Likes

Because Rush didn’t want to do actual physical tests saying they weren’t needed (probably the cost) and relied instead on acoustical testing. Many engineers disagreed with him.

2 Likes

Let’s simplify it into something less regulated:
you walked into your local state part for an all-day hike, because you selfishly enjoy the sights, biology, geology - and the remoteness from civilization. 10 miles into it, in a valley without cell towers, you slipped on a rock, broke something and now you can’t walk yourself out. Since this was your personal choice to go, and where to go, and most importantly you were very aware that breaking a leg was a possibility eventually, we’ll just let you rot - because, after all, you could have instead been sitting in the Olive Garden in town where the local Search & Rescue teams can find you easier.

(Humanity should always rule over economy - we even go out of our way to talk people off a ledge! You can replace funds, but not a life.)

PS - @roycroftmom: the reason why those actually involved in any kind of rescue (medical, technical, and otherwise) typically are not proponents of “individual reimbursement”, is because now the decision whether to call for help (and how timely) would become a matter of personal equity - which goes against everything they stand for (and hesitating could actually make their job harder/more risky).

3 Likes

“Rush, the late OceanGate CEO, told AP in 2021 that it was an American company. But he said OceanGate Expeditions, which led dives to the Titanic, was based in the Bahamas."

This stuck out to me–I had actually tried to look this up and all I got was it was an American company but obviously didn’t draw distinctions between the two entities.
I used to want to try parasailing on some prior vacations but my husband refused just saying to wait until we were back in the states because there would be no legal recourse in a foreign country.

2 Likes

Actually this is a problem the National Park Service is confronting-hikers taking ridiculous risks, then using their cell phones to call for rescue like they are calling for an uber pick up. They have no reason not to do so currently; they are free to ignore all warnings and demand helicopters deploy to retrieve them. So yes, I would like that to be addressed as well. Ordinary accidents can happen to anyone, and should be assisted. Thrill-seekers engaged in private risky adventures should be expected to pay for any extraordinary rescue.

I understand first responders like to rescue and would devote limitless resources to do so. But resources arent limitless and the rest of us are paying for their efforts.

2 Likes

Actually - what they “like”, is to no one ever needing rescue!

(It’s not like on TV - too often, and sometimes more often than not, there will be heartbreak, and they’ll be in the midst of it.)

Life itself is a frivolous pursuit. :wink:
Wishing you good karma along the way!

1 Like

Private insurance is available in some cases to those engaged in some pursuits. The position of the rescue association, that every person, whether in space or on Mt. Everest, should be rescued, is unrealistic. If volunteers wish to try to rescue such thrill seekers, feel free to do so. But do not expect the public to pay for the results of frivolous pursuits.

1 Like

Lol, can’t wait to see the governments list of approved activities

3 Likes

Folks who rode in Titan’s predecessor Cyclops 1 speak about the doomed design:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/wa-researchers-remember-red-flags-and-discoveries-on-oceangate-submersible/#comments

2 Likes

In my town, there’s this big rock with multiple (multiple) warning signs stating that climbing is prohibited. (There is an exception for a native group for specific ceremonies.). There are safety as well as religious reasons for the prohibition. Quite regularly someone ignores the signs and fences, and gets stuck. Due to the location and configuration of the rock, it creates an environment with rapidly changing wind currents. Makes it very challenging for a helicopter rescue (which is sometimes the only option). Upon completion of a rescue, the rescued person faces a legal charge, in addition to being billed for the rescue costs. And yet there are still folks who climb…

5 Likes

Maybe they should just post the dollar amounts for fines and rescue charges. It might deter a few more people.

9 Likes

Good idea. With an additional paragraph that if a rescuer dies in the attempt a million dollar surcharge and charges of negligent homicide may apply.

6 Likes

So they were dodging US taxes and relying on US taxpayer dollars for rescue?
They certainly knew the Bahamian government wasn’t going to fund a rescue effort.

This expedition only emphasized why we need NASA to stay in command and regulate private space adventures as well. Imagine Russia, China or India taking over space.

2 Likes

Reminds me of the 3rd season of For All Mankind on AppleTV+. It depicts a manned-flight race to Mars between NASA, the Russians, and a private company. Cutting corners, disaster, teamwork, rescue…

2 Likes

Deleted.

5 Likes

Feel free to start a new thread about NASA/Space Ex but lets get back on topic please.

1 Like