Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Hello,

I am new to this forum. My son has applied to various BS/MD programs, but as of now we are in a wait mode. He has been accepted into a BS/DO program at USF/LECOM with a full ride to the undergrad school(National Merit). I was just wondering how it compares to a traditional pre-med route if he does not get into any BS/MD programs?

Do an online research for DO school residency prospects.

1 Like

In general it is too early to commit to DO program. Consider after one attempt in the regular MD cycle. Apply for few BS/MD. If it does not work out, pursue regular UG for now.

1 Like

No clear picture with this. Of the 73 students enrolled, what does it mean by 37 make it through? Is it because the program requirements are too demanding? If it is like typical 3.5 -3.7 range expected, there shouldn’t be a reason for such a high drop out as long as the students are confident of their high school rigor preparing them sufficiently enough for college.

Also is it 27 accepted or matriculated? I have a feeling they are giving matriculation rates. Since it is an interview guarantee only, almost all of them are bound to apply outside as well to other med schools, not knowing their fate in advance. Some of them may have gotten in other places too and opted for them. So it may be more like ~50% probability of making it to med school.

27 accepted and 21 matriculated

All info is in the webinar on the program’s website

You didn’t get an email confirmation that the supplemental was received, right?

No, we didn’t. We got a notification to save/print the application and receipt after we submitted the supplemental application. Probably because they don’t send confirmations to your email.

1 Like

Called UIC GPPA Medicine program, they said only applicants advanced to the next stage will receive an invitation to take CASPer. These same group of students will be interviewed. Official interviews weren’t sent out yet since the dates and scheduling hasn’t been finalized yet.

Ok, just from quantitative perspective from a single data set, out of a batch of 37

• 6 were accepted but didn’t join (guess these must be the top students who opted for better known state med schools or private ones),
  • 21 matriculated
  • 10 could not after the interview.

So percentage wise, 16, 57 and 27. Not bad with 73% making into this or better med schools without gap years.

But open questions one has to ask oneself: why did half of the original size of 73 didn’t make it? Are the demands from the program so tough? (I haven’t bothered checking their web site). Is the qualitative bar for selections into the program so low that those selected are not able to meet the requirements? Why were 27 percent of the students who were interviewed not accepted? What if most of the students in a given batch meet the expectations and make it to the interview? Is there a cap on how many will be accepted?

OK My son just checked, he is officially rejected from Penn state, those who are waiting might want to check their portal

1 Like

My portal has updated to show that I am rejected from PMM but I have been accepted to penn state under the pre-medicine major.

1 Like

My son just checked, he is rejected from the accelerated program at PSU but accepted to the Eberly College of Science.

1 Like

Did any one hear from University of Pittsburgh regarding GAP BS MD ? Did they start sending supplemental ?

Same here. Rejected from PMM, but accepted to Eberly College. :frowning:
Bye bye Penn.

1 Like

Called and they said should go out by 12/15.

Received RPI/AMC supplement application

The bar to be accepted into the program is low because all you need is a certain GPA and test score. The program really only started in 2018, not much data there.
While most have gone test-optional, this program has not. It is likely this year may have a smaller cohort based on that. There is a residency requirement in the junior year-You have to be an NJ resident by junior year.
The school has reserved slots in the Med school. From what I remember the med school has to take at least 40 students from this school. The attrition at this time could be because of the lower standard of acceptance in the past year. The school is still in marketing mode to enlarge its program.
My daughter spoke to a couple of students who are in the program, (sophomores and to-be juniors) and they indicated it was by no means hard to maintain the required GPA. Besides, as part of the program, they get special attention by an advisor, volunteer and shadowing experiences, MCAT help, etc. After attending some of the seminars, I get the impression its a good pipeline to Meridian, which is their emphasis. They want their doctors to stay in Jersey and practice there. Besides, they guarantee the residency of your choice if you stay at Meridian. Now, the residencies are limited in choice, so you may want to see where your interest lies. Based on the stats for BA/MD they will also likely invite the student to the Buccino Leadership program. You might want to check that out because it is a great program not usually offered to premed students.
As far as I can see, the program is more transparent than some others like SLU med scholars. My two cents-better to have it as a safety, and look at your other options first.

1 Like

Congrats!!! When did you receive the message? By email or portal update?

Congrats!

@TensedMom
Really sorry to hear but I hope that you will get some good news from other BS/MD colleges.

1 Like