Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

We’re OOS. Our understanding is that tcnj is more popular and well-known in NJ, and is like a private school, whereas NJIT is a public school - hence the students that go to these two colleges are very different types usually. Also, TCNJ is in the suburbs, considered a safe location. NJIT is in the midst of a not-so-great neighborhood, though it has been steadily improving with the addition of Whole Foods and with several new shops and developments nearby.

I could be wrong, this is just our OOS analysis.

@Mom22DDs, I think your older daughter recently graduated from NJIT. What were your reasons for selecting NJIT over TCNJ. I think NJIT gives full ride but not TCNJ.

Each kid is different. My DD chose NJIT because she liked the location better and also because she liked the kids she met at orientation. She felt at home, in her own words.

She grew up in the city surrounded by similar areas as NJIT. When we looked at colleges, we were warned that there is potential for mugging or theft around NJIT. We found that to be somewhat true, but she is familiar with those risks. Many parents were not onboard with their kids living in the midst of those risks, so the first barrier is safety, then the student population (public school with commuter population) and school size (NJIT is smaller). What worked for her is exactly most of those things, city neighborhood, smaller school, and newer buildings. She did feel lonely many weekends initially because the dorms were semi-empty but that changed as the students progressed into college life.

Both schools gave good scholarships, but in TCNJ, she had to pay $10k/year in fees and maybe also room and boarding - don’t remember exactly. Money was not a deciding factor. I think my DD would have chosen NJIT even if TCNJ was full-ride or if NJIT charged same as TCNJ.

Hope that helps.

Just curious, has anyone in the thread applied to Wayne State’s binding Med-Direct program? Do you know if there any updates with that program?

@Mom22DDs, Thanks for the detailed explanation. We never got a chance to still visit but will definitely in case D gets selected for NJMS. My husband travelled recently there for his work and he felt the same that you described. Other than the factors you mentioned, is there anything different in academics/opportunities wise at both schools? I think TCNJ is much smaller than NJIT, right?

I believe NJIT is the smaller one, both in campus size as well as student size. We barely know anything else about TCNJ - you’ll have to ask folks from NJ to weigh in on this.

1 Like

IMO, TCNJ is a more safe location than NJIT. Folks at TCNJ can travel to Philadelphia and can do ECs at several medical facilities and research centers. It is connected from Trenton NJ transit station to Philadelphia SEPTA. Trenton is a short Uber/Lyft ride from TCNJ. Of course, UPenn (PA) and Princeton University (NJ) are nearby. Newark has an international airport and easily connected to NYC.

2 Likes

We also got 20k

1 Like

We also got 20k and are OOS

1 Like

So it looks like OOS get $20k and in-state get $10k. Is that pretty much true for everyone that applied to NJIT and received scholarship letter?

I think I heard from someone that they got $22k in this thread earlier.

My DD’s scholarship letter received from NJIT a week ago states exactly $21k in scholarship.

2 Likes

Normally Wayne state selects mostly Disadvantaged socioeconomic background. I am not sure if they select any other people.

When do BU, URochester, and Case Decisions come out?

$20-$22k does cover approximately 2/3 of tuition and fees for an OOS student at NJIT.
$12k does cover approximately 2/3 of tuition and fees for an in-student at NJIT.

As per the previous year posts, BU probably starts calling by 2nd week of Jan
URochester - sometime during 3rd week of Jan
Case - Recently @NoviceDad posted that they update the portal usually on the last Saturday of January.

@grtd2010, I think this is per year not per semester. Is that right?

Yes, the figures are for two-semester at Full-time. It seems the awards are equitable in terms of covering 2/3 cost of tuition and fees.

1 Like

If one gets into Temple Health Scholars Program with full-tuition scholarship for UG, it may be worth considering, IMO. One can have 3+4 or 4+4 option with an interview with LKSOM during Spring of Junior year. The Temple PPHS may not have an interview with medical school admission committee during Feb 2021 interview session.

1 Like

@grtd2010 - Do you mean Temple might skip the Med School AdCom interview before offering bsmd admission to kids applying this cycle, since there is an AdCom interview Junior year of their UG for Medical School admission anyway?