Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

wow, so it is 2% (74) of those 8% (3680) applications, makes sense, that’s how we look at all BSMD acceptance rate.

Out of those 74, there are not that many ORMS compared to other BSMD programs ( probably more than 50%). For an ORM, 2% acceptance rate is not applicable, IMO.

Take Seton Hall/Hackensack Meridian BSMD with full-tuition scholarship. Are you a NJ resident ? Your DC can stay in NJ after medical school and be employed by Hackensack Meridian Hospitals.

2 Likes

FYI, There is no guarantee that a Penn UG will get into Penn medical school. It is neither as answered earlier, IMO.

If you want to apply to medical school via regular route, Cornell may not be the best choice, IMO.

3 Likes

You may not find much about pre-med at Skidmore. If you want more info call or email those mentioned at the following url.

You have a better choice with Seton Hall/Hackensack Meridian.

1 Like

Oh wow that is crazy! way more people applied to PLME too. yikes hahahaha. at least only athletes get likely letters so less stress kind of ?

I hope that by applying to PLME we didn’t diminish our chances of being admitted to Brown in general :frowning:

1 Like

I can’t imagine it would. Besides applying for PLME shows a greater interest in the school IMO

2 Likes

IF you think PLME rejection will throw you out of regular Brown UG admission consideration, what is the basis of this fear ? It is not BU SMED, where one would need to call admin office to be considered for BU UG after rejection from BU SMED.

We received the RU/NJMS Dean’s session email now saying we haven’t attended the Dean session (we never received one) and the Dean’s would like to speak with every applicant so they learn more about you, answer any questions and introduce themselves to you. The email was sent to around 25 applicants, not sure if they missed to send email out to few in the past. Does anyone know if is it general Q&A session OR are they going to evaluate the applicant again?
@rk1235rk @Nebula1 @mygrad2021 @md2025

I’m not sure, but I read on a forum that being an ORM and applying to PLME, aka wanting to go into medicine, makes the class less diverse and so applying to PLME puts you (indirectly) at a disadvantage. But idk, could be wrong.

Congratulations @Mom22DDs and @compengineer1 !
I liked Upstate when I interviewed there last year.

Ms. Ripa had a broken foot scootering all around the building then. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you @REMSHOPEFUL123 !

All the BSMD schools my S applied ended up putting him in WL for UG when they declined BSMD interview. So that risk is there. Worst is case, UG WL with $30K scholarship, yield games! He declined the WLs :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Mom22DDs - Congratulations to your D on upstate BSMD admission!!!

1 Like

It seems yield management is everywhere. Assumption is that without PLME, one would not join Brown UG. IIRC, during my D’s high school cycle, JHU admitted only two and put one on WL during regular round, hoping at least one would join. And only one joined JHU, others two chose BSMD programs.

During med application you pick some “reach, target and safety” schools.
Will your safety schools reject you if they are sure you will not go there?
I am sure schools have some statistical data to help them decide.
Is there a formulae to identify good safety school that will not outright reject you?

My D attended the NJMS dean session. It was just an informative session with Q&A. Don’t think it is used to evaluate the student.

IMO, assume all are reach schools for you. A high UG GPA and high MCAT applicant may be rejected by most safety schools because of the thinking that the applicant would have better choices and may not join. Why waste an interview slot ? Usually for ORMs, it is advised to apply to those schools where your stats are near 75% of those accepted by the school. Buy MSAR subscription from AAMC to see these bands for each school.

1 Like