Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Does anyone have insight on AP credits vs Dual credits (earned during high school from attending college)? Which one do most colleges accept credits for and which look more rigorous for curriculum? Have people had problems getting college credit from AP vs College in school courses? Any advice on choosing between classes for these two types of college credit?

I would love some insight from experienced applicants.

Anymore GW interviews for BS/MD…??

@sajju786

I think GWU has sent all interview notifications Portal still says by end of January but very low possibility now.

No?!!

@101study101

My take on AP vs. dual high school/college credit, as far as possible go with AP. Reason is simple. AP courses have consistent curriculum backed by standardized testing at national or international level.

While dual credit courses in collaboration with high school and some community or regular college are usually accepted at state colleges, they may not be at private and outside the state colleges. They may need documentation on the course content before deciding whether or not to grant credit. More often than not, they may conclude these courses may not be at the same level as their corresponding undergrad courses. Also some colleges have restrictions such as the course must have been completed not in the high school but on campus of the college.

If you face issues such as conflict in class schedules at your high school preventing you from taking the AP course(s), or no one teaching that course in your school or you are in an alternative curriculum such as IB, then you can explore equivalent college level courses. Also JHU and similar schools offer courses online for Calc BC, Multivariable calc etc. You may have to achieve above certain grade level to get college credit though.

If you are targeting the most elite of the schools, you may be given very little or no credit no matter what course work you have done. MIT allows credit only for Calc BC and AP Physics C if you get a 5 on the AP exam. Caltech doesn’t allow even that.

@101study101 Your post is multiple loaded questions.

1. AP credit. Every UG school will have a clear policy on what they will accept or won’t accept. For accept it will state, for what score, what will be the equivalent course number in that school. AP credits will NOT impact your UG GPA since it is not given a grade (it will have S for substitute). Also check your UG school pre-req course requirements. Even if UG school accepts, the course number for pre-med need may be different from AP credit equivalent course number.
    Note: in AMCAS app also, though it need to be stated (since UG Tx will have) it will not be used for GPA calculation.
    All stated in this point applies to CLEP also.
  1. Dual credit: All stated here applies to both courses done at your HS, which had some arrangement with your local community college OR if you have done any regular (not extension courses) UG courses done at local university during summer breaks. You need to report any courses done at community college or any regular college both to your UG school as well as later in AMCAS application. These courses will have an equivalent grade and it will be included in GPA calculation in both UG as well as later in AMCAS. Note, even if you repeat the course in your UG, it will be averaged and will be part of your GPA all the time. For example you did science course in community college in summer in HS and got a C and later you did the same course in your UG and got a A, your average will be B in GPA calculation.

@bsmdseeker2019 , GW said no interview invited for bsmd have been sent out

@bsmdseeker2019 …@diaash…just got off phone with the admin at GW she said few invites have already been sent, my friend’s son got an invite last Thursday too…said may expect another wave for interviews shortly…and to keep checking GW Portal for updates…

Thanks for the update @sajju786
No BU or GW interview invite yet.

Thanks for the update @sajju786

@whitecane…BU interview invites all done I guess, my S got and invite before Christmas on 12/17 and all interview dates are finalized…

@whitecane…From my understanding they have sent out invites for Friday January 25, Monday January 28, Thursday January 31. I am not sure about Friday Feb 8. If you do not hear from them in the next couple of weeks, your chances are slim to none of hearing from BU

@sajju786 okay…got it thank you.

Anyone got any interview invites for UIC-GPPA Med Program?

Even BU said that they are not done sending out all interview invites. No clue what they mean by that . Been a long wait, without any updates from anyone except AMC

@diaash
I have not seen anyone having BU interview on Feb date (think only one date in Feb), something may come by early next week after MLK day holiday.

@Cherax

Was it the UG office that sent out the Hofstra supplement or was it from the Medschool? I don’t see anything on the Hofstra admitted students portal. Thx

@sunitacarmen I’m confused because I emailed a counselor from UG and she sent the supplement. however I emailed the director of the BSMD program and they said that qualified EA2 applicants would be emailed the supplement by the end of the week

I just spoke to them. It’s by invite only. She asked to wait until Jan 19th to check if I’m eligible to receive a supplement

Thanks so much for checking out and share!
my D said she waits until 1/23:) if nothing she’ll call:)