Tips and Suggestions for Move-in

<p>We got ours Saturday-we move in 8/16 and live in Alabama</p>

<p>TX, We’ll be there this afternoon to check on her! She going to dinner? We’d love to have her and roomie join us! We already have a huge party going to Desperado’s, so we can squeeze in two/three more!</p>

<p>I’ll let her know. Thanks :slight_smile:
Standing at the airport now watching her go thru security</p>

<p>Congratulations to all you new UA parents. We are on task for next year. What is the best way to handle the move in for a freshman guy coming from California? Take a couple of big suitcases and buy the rest there?</p>

<p>D has landed and already in the car with her roommate and her family :)</p>

<p>Momoftriplets, have your D text mine.</p>

<p>@77 Choco: We are heading out soon with a son from Northern California. We are flying with some checked bags, mailing some things to his PO Box at the Ferg (mostly Amazon with free shipping), and buying the rest in Birmingham. When I looked into shipping, a checked bag was still cheaper than USPS, UPS, or FedEx for the same weight and dimensions. Another UA parent gave us great advice on ordering at Bed, Bath, and Beyond and then picking it up in Birmingham. Also, parents we met at Bama Bound said to shop in Birmingham as the shelves can be bare in Tuscaloosa sometimes. We are renting a larger car than usual to fit it all in!</p>

<p>D and roomie in line at Tut to move in :)</p>

<p>I will be here til the 18th if any of the kids need a ride to a store or something. Contact me.</p>

<p>We moved our D from Northern California last year. We took two suitcases each, I have free baggage due to mileage frequent flyer program for work so they were free, but you can also book southwest 2 bags free for each passenger. I only took a carry on for my stuff. We then rented a larger car and shopped for everything else there. She moved in on first day of early move in for recruitment and Target in Tuscaloosa had almost everything we needed. In fact they had a better selection than target since the one by us is not feeding a major university like the one in Tuscaloosa. Some things we went to next town of Hoover I think to shop at. We did not shop in Birmingham. If you are driving from the airport you will pass two very large Super Targets on the Highway before you even get to Tuscaloosa. We went back for Bid day and again hit up the Target for some after thoughts and they had restocked the shelves with new items. You can PM if you would like specific info from coming form Northern California, best flights shuttle services etc. Goodluck!
Shipping was way more expensive.</p>

<p>We did the move from summer room to fall room on Tuesday. I unloaded the storage unit and put it in my hotel room on Monday. Tuesday, we first moved stuff from one room to the other in the four hour time limit we had. There were no helpers. We were on our own. We dumped everything from summer room into the living room. After we grabbed lunch and went back to the hotel, where I had gotten two beds, we took a brief nap, then loaded up the car with the storage unit stuff. Before we started cleaning the new room, we put the bed linens in to wash and dry, as they’d been used during the summer. I then put on my swimsuit and scrubbed the refrigerator and bathroom, sprayed all hanger racks and surfaces with cleaner, while son wiped out all the drawers and shelves with Lysol wipes, as well as the mattress. After that, we took showers, emptied the suitcases of hanging clothes, made the bed, which was a challenge in this new room in Ridgecrest South South, and headed out to dinner with the empty suitcases in my trunk. Seeing how exhausted I was, son sent me back to hotel to sleep and promised to unpack the totes and boxes on his own. I didn’t even take him for groceries, like I usually do. I loaded up stuff he won’t use in my empty suitcases, and donated the bookshelf that won’t fit in the new room. We’ll pick up the empty totes next time we’re on campus and son will break down the empty boxes and store them in his closet. Son will probably use his dishes for the fall semester, but come December, I’m going to take all the kitchen stuff home and have him do the disposable like he’s been doing all summer. The egg crate and sheets are in bad shape and will either go in the trash or to the local animal shelter at the end of the year, as will the pillows. We were both shaking our heads at the newcomers loading up furniture, artwork, lamps, wondering if they will also downsize as the years go on. We’ve downsized a lot during the last three years, but doing this in 100 degree weather is no fun. Good luck to all and I hope your kids have a wonderful school year!</p>

<p>Can’t get past the mental image of donning a swimsuit to scrub the bathroom. Was it houndstooth print?</p>

<p>Cute, Class2012Mom! :)</p>

<p>Montegut: I am exhausted just reading your story. My D was a very light packer as a freshman 2 years ago. She brings less and less stuff each year. Doesn’t want a living room rug, TV, gaming system, bookshelf, or even a pretty shower curtain! She starts her junior year this fall.</p>

<p>As this is our fourth year doing this, I learned my lesson and am passing this on to you young’uns. First year, I did the cleaning in my only pair of jeans and tshirt. Got soaking wet. Next year, I changed into shorts and tshirt for the cleaning, and since those got so wet, I said, What the heck, I’m putting on my suit this year. Nothing fancy, just the one I do laps in and don’t mind getting dirty. We’re a swim family, so we basically live in our suits. Now, we’ve always moved son in without other roommates, so no one else is around to see this middle aged broad in a swimsuit disinfecting a fridge. While not glamorous, it’s practical and leaves you a clean outfit to change into to grab something to eat after a hard workout.</p>

<p>^ But is it houndstooth? Or crimson, with a big old bedazzled sparkly A? :)</p>

<p>Seriously, if you only knew what this week has been like, and you have me rolling on the floor in tears. Thanks.</p>

<p>^^^My pleasure. Hope y’all all have a good school year.</p>

<p>NorCal- Great ideas and suggestions. Copying and pasting for later. Hope all goes well ! </p>

<p>CSUS88- Thanks for sharing your experiences! Again, copying and pasting. </p>

<p>It helps so much to see how others do things. Saves so much time and energy. </p>

<p>We live about an hour from San Francisco and I attended CSUS (Sacramento) :slight_smile: </p>

<p>Very exciting! I will PM with questions when the time comes.</p>

<p>77choco. Still here in good ol sactown. I love when I type that and it auto corrects to a*s town. Glad to help, I am driving my daughters car out there this week. Makings few visit stops but should hit Tuscaloosa by Wednesday. PM any time.</p>

<p>Just got home from freshman band orientation for my new high schooler and reading this. Y’all are awesome!!! Of course is board members went for drinks afterwards. </p>

<p>Montegut, can you please go clean my D’s room??? We only had till 12:30 to move in last Friday. No time to clean. I barely had the curtain rid up when they showed up to kick us out and lock the door. :(. I texted D this afternoon after they were officially allowed in the room to see if everything was still standing since we had to hurry.</p>

<p>Houndstooth swimsuit? Hmmm, I have not seen one. We need to make one.</p>

<p>Just got into to town from Ft Lauderdale and fund out that our move in time is at 8am and not 9am as I had checked. I am looking forward to it but would love that little extra time to re-organize the rental van before I have someone swoop in and take it all. Have fun everyone!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>No need. Now available off the rack for your dorm-cleaning pleasure: <a href=“http://img1.etsystatic.com/013/0/5203353/il_340x270.432285177_bukt.jpg[/url]”>http://img1.etsystatic.com/013/0/5203353/il_340x270.432285177_bukt.jpg&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Roll Tide! :)</p>