Too late to apply to U Alabama and be considered for scholarships?

<p>I read on the UA website that applications needed to be in by Dec 1st for a student to be considered for scholarships. Is that a hard and fast rule or will they still consider students who apply this late? Thanks.</p>

<p>What scholarships are you qualified for? Are you an NMF? Have you applied yet?</p>

<p>I think NMF’s might get the package even if they apply late.</p>

<p>DS’s application was submitted before the December 1 deadline and he was awarded the UA Scholar scholarship. By chance he submitted his December 2010 ACT score mid-December which qualified him and was later offered the Presidential Scholarship early 2011.
Guaranteed scholarships are for those that apply prior to December 1. If there are scholarship monies still available would think UA would repeat what was offered to DS.</p>

<p>Thanks for the quick responses. D meets out of state Presidential Scholar criteria, but hasn’t submitted anything (application or scores) to UA.</p>

<p>When we visited and participated in the admissions info session, the guy said, “If you have a 36 on your ACT and a 4.8 GPA, congratulations. You’re a genius. But if you don’t submit the scholarship application by December 1, you’re out of luck.”</p>

<p>He sounded like he meant it. Whether they’ll make exceptions, I have no idea.</p>

<p>they do make exceptions. you will just have to give it a try.</p>

<p>We didn’t even apply to Alabama and had made other plans when they contacted my son because of test scores. I don’t remember but it was late: March, maybe?</p>

<p>Scholarships were still available. Maybe some were ‘taken’ but UA is generous with strong students.</p>

<p>The bottom line is this…</p>

<p>The regular employees are trained to say that you must apply by Dec 1. However, the Enrollment Management (Mary Spiegel and her managers) have the power to ignore the rules and award as they feel fits the school’s best interest.</p>

<p>If you’re from a desired region of the country, a female engineering student, and/or have amazing stats…and they know you won’t attend without a scholarship, then there’s a decent chance you can get one. Certainly, a personal letter to Ms. Spiegel is a good idea.</p>

<p>Those who are well-qualified for the Presidential are more likely going to get considered.</p>

<p>And, certainly, all NMFs and NAs can get the big scholarship up to May 1st.</p>

<p>So…get apps in RIGHT NOW. Do not wait until you get some kind of communication from Bama.</p>