Too many Honors Classes

<p>My DD was contacted by the honors college yesterday saying she had too many Honors courses. One of her classes she will be switching from Calc I honors to Calc II once her IB credit is posted, but she has 3 other honors classes still. Is this too many? She tested out of the first two Chem classes, but as a Chem Engg major and pre-med student, she plans on taking Chem I & II, so of course she should have honors for that. She also has the Honors section of the Engineering class (3 credits) and the new UH Gossip in the 21st Century class. Any comments or concerns? She is taking non-honors Spanish and Calc II. Thanks!</p>

<p>My D got that message last year. She was taking CBH (required), English 103, OA (over before classes begin) and a 1 credit common book experience class. She responded that there wasn’t anything she wanted to drop and that was the end of it. It was 9 credits of honors but not at all too much. I think the message is sent to anyone with more than a certain number of honors credits (maybe 8 or 9?) without regard to what those credits actually are or how equipped the student is to handle them.</p>

<p>We received that email too. DS is taking 11 Honors credits, 1 of those credits is for AA and 1 for a 1x a week 1 hour Honors Connection seminar. The other 9 were for actual classes. DS called Jim Bailey who sent the email and explained his position. Mr Bailey said he didn’t have to drop anything but it was highly recommended that the Honors credits be stretched out over 4 years to continue Honors College environment participation.</p>

<p>My son received the message last year, also. We didn’t even respond…oops…just kept the schedule and everything was fine.</p>

<p>What department is the 1 credit common book experience class offered through?</p>

<p>S is taking 9.5 honors credits and did not receive the e-mail…interesting that beth’s mom’s D got the e-mail last year with 9 credits but S did not get it this year.</p>

<p>OP, in my completely inexperienced opinion, it sounds like your D’s schedule is just fine.</p>

<p>This is a blanket email that the Honors College sends out to students who are taking above a certain number of honors hours in a given semester. I know for sure that one of my roommates got this message last summer, and I think I might have too. They don’t force anyone to change their schedule around, but they try to make sure that students aren’t pushing themselves beyond their limits at the very beginning of school, potentially either “burning them out” on the honors experience (i.e. “this is too difficult, so maybe I should drop honors”) or causing their GPA to dip below Honors requirements. If your student is completely confident with his/her schedule, I say go for it. I personally have taken semesters with 11 and 12 honors hours. It’s not always easy, but it can be rewarding if you work hard. If you have some doubts, though, the Honors Office is a great place to seek assistance!</p>

<p>riprorin, the CBE classes are offered as UH courses.</p>

<p>Thanks!! I think my daughter will keep her classes.</p>

<p>Jim Bailey is a very responsive proponent of the Honors College Students.</p>

<p>She tested out of the first two Chem classes, but as a Chem Engg major and pre-med student, she plans on taking Chem I & II, so of course she should have honors for that.</p>

<p>She doesn’t have to take the honors versions of Chem I and II. Med schools won’t care and they won’t give her “bonus points” for taking the honors versions. If she wants to, then fine, but she must not feel that she “has” to.</p>

<p>Students can take as many honors credits in a semester as they want, but UA recommends taking 3-6 per semester. </p>

<p>With honors courses, my suggestion is to take enough honors credits to graduate from the desired honors program(s) and any others that one finds interesting.</p>

<p>As others have already said, pretty sure it is a “form letter” sent out if you have a certain number of Honors hours.<br>
Son took OA (1 hour Honor’s) before the semester started and then 10 of his 16 hours were Honor’s (EN 103 (Freshman Honors English), UH 155 (Freshman seminar-Humanities), EC 110 (Honors Micro Econ) and then took non-Honors Math and LGS 200.<br>
It was not a problem and the nice thing is now after one year on campus he is done with his Honors requirements…which would have been much harder to pick up now that he is taking mostly “major” required classes…</p>