Top Journalism Schools

<p>Missouri hands down over all the schools you mentioned. It's the first and the best. There is no arguement here. Go Mizzou -- and you win!</p>

<p>Hi guys,</p>

<p>I'm waiting for my admissions/rejections letters. I only applied to five schools. I wanted to stay near the media markets because I want to go into arts and entertainment reporting.</p>

<ul>
<li>USC</li>
<li>UC Berkeley</li>
<li>Columbia University</li>
<li>NYU</li>
<li>CUNY NYC</li>
</ul>

<p>Now, I know that Columbia, Berkeley and USC are always considered the top, but does anyone have any info on NYU and CUNY? CUNY sounds really good on paper, especially because they are right next door to the new NYTimes office, and they are getting all these grants. Too bad they don't do official rankings.</p>

<p>I don't know if you still want to work for EW, but I work for them right now. I didn't even major in journalism. Look at their internship programs in LA and NYC. Not only are they paid, you get to work with the writers. I have to admit though, I don't know a high conversion rate, although it is nice to have clips from there as an intern.</p>

<p>Would be interested in any feedback on the value of going to Journalism school in the current economic climate and in view of the sad state of US newspapers that have been closing down left and right.</p>

<p>i don't wanna bring anyone down, but the "value" of going to journalism school in the best economic climate is questionable at best. a journalism degree, even one from columbia, will only do one thing for you: network you. instead of getting an entry level position at a news organization without the degree, you'd be 2 rungs up the ladder with your degree. but chances are you've put yourself $40,000 in debt, minimum, to leap those two rungs.</p>

<p>a journalism masters, even a journalism/communications undergrad, is in no way necessary to be a successful reporter, even a broadcast one. many news orgs actually prefer their employees to not have these degrees because they feel they have to retrain you once they hire you.</p>

<p>journalism degrees are big cash cows for universities and little more. there is nothing you learn there that you won't learn on the job. my suggestion would be to simply pursue journalism professionally. get a job at a local newspaper or tv station and start working your way up. you'd learn everything you would in the class room, you'd get paid (rather than pay them), and you'd make all the same connections.</p>

<p>and i don't say this as someone who applied and didn't get in anywhere and i'm all bitter about it. last year i applied to columbia, nyu, northwestern, berkeley, and boston u. i was accepted to every single school except berkeley, and nyu offered me partial funding. i rejected everybody outright because i realized it would've been a waste of 1-2 years and even nyu's partial funding offer would've put me in tens of thousands of dollars of debt.</p>

<p>short answer: don't go to j-school, it's not worth it. spend a few years at a local paper and it gets you just as far as a journalism degree would without any of the debt.</p>

<p>I'm no way an expert in the field, but from what I have heard about the industry the best thing to do right now is go to grad school. I might be wrong for J-school, but more and more I'm realizing this is the best choice for up and coming journalists.</p>

<p>I'm going to be graduating in June 2009 into an economy that is virtually offering no jobs. Some have predicted that this loss in the job market hasn't even hit its peak, and we're looking at 3-5 years before places start hiring again. As someone who knew they wanted to be a journalist since the age of 16, I've been working on my career extensively. As it stands right now, I'm a freelance writer for the Los Angeles Times and I'm completing an extensive internship at Entertainment Weekly, on top of freelancing for other national publications. I'm even multi-platform (although I want to pursue print, I've completed internships in broadcast, radio and online journalism, plus I have extensive coding and blogging knowledge). I've also double majored and minored (Comm and Poli Sci, Film minor), and I'm graduating in four years with honors.</p>

<p>I feel that anyone who has the amount of experience that I have should at least be getting a part-time reporter job at a small newspaper in a small town or at least an editorial assistant job with the hopes of moving up. But the fact of the matter is, I'm fighting against reporters who have been laid off with 5, 10, even 15 years of experience. Last Friday, a staff employee (who was nowhere near retiring age) was forced to quit after 17 years on the Los Angeles Times. Competing against those people, I've got no chance. At best, I can argue 2-3 years of experience of paid writing. And those small town newspapers that hire recent grads, forget it: they've all shut down or are barely struggling to stay afloat. </p>

<p>I think it is great if you can find a job in the current climate; if I can, I will completely consider deferring grad school. For me though, I have to say it's getting harder and harder. I'm living in Los Angeles, which is one of the largest media markets for what I want to do (arts and entertainment reporting), and despite everywhere I've worked for, I still can't find a steady staff job. I've been offered more minimum wage internships and more freelance work, but nothing that will even support me living in the large cities that are offering this meager salary. In fact, it seems that my only option is to give up on journalism and go towards publicity or PR, but I'm not ready to admit defeat yet.</p>

<p>I'm just hoping to ride out this depression, and hopefully, maybe in a couple of years after I get my masters I'll be able to call on those contacts that I get from j-school and get a decent living wage job. Maybe by then some company would have figured out how to make profits in online journalism or maybe people will start buying papers again... though I strongly doubt it. Anything is better than just sitting around doing less than I was doing in college, hoping for a break.</p>

<p>(Sorry for the long rant... it's finals week and I wanted a distraction)</p>

<p>Hey all! I see there is some relatively recent activity in this forum, so I'll post a couple questions that maybe someone can answer.</p>

<p>I'm just out of college and applied to j-schools (print track) for the summer and fall. I have no real experience in journalism, so I felt like j-school would be beneficial to me and I could gain some practical skills and experience before hitting the job market. I've been accepted at Ohio, Indiana, Northwestern, American, and Syracuse, so far (still waiting on Maryland and Illinois). Ohio offered me full waiver of tuition and a 10K stipend to come, while so far I haven't received any significant funding from anywhere else.</p>

<p>I had initially been set on Northwestern, because they stress the practical experience that their program offers more so than the other schools I've applied to, and also made clear at their info session that proficiency in multiple media formats would be expected of their graduates. Even though I'm still pretty much set on print for the time being, I realize times are changing and I'm certainly open to learning new things and increasing my skill set as the field of journalism evolves. Being at a school where new media is a requirement would be my preference, rather than attending a school where I would only encounter such work if I were to seek it out.</p>

<p>However, the expenses at NU are pretty overwhelming, especially in comparison to actually getting paid to go to OU. Still, with OU's focus on research and theory, and small town location, I'm not sure I'd get what I wanted out of the experience there even if I could go for free.</p>

<p>I'm curious to hear what other people think and whether they know of any programs that offer what I'm looking for? Any thoughts on Ohio's program?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>hi....im from India. i am very keen on pursuing a course in journalism and since there was no such course offered in my home country at the undergraduate level i decided to apply to univs in the the U.S
i have applied 2 5 univs and i got accepted by mizzous school of journalism. this is def my top choice univ but since i am an international student the fees are pretty high.
i will taking a loan 2 fund my 4 yr UG course and i wanted 2 know if it is really worth spending so much money. broadcast journalism has always been my passion but the finance seems to be the only barrier.</p>

<p>is the burden of the loan worth the studies at mizzou?
is it easy to procure a scholarship in the subsequent yrs once i begin my course in the univ?</p>

<p>hoping to get some gud advice and comments. Thnx.</p>

<p>Hey, quick question kiddos,</p>

<p>Indiana apparently has rolling admissions for their journalism school. Is it too late to start applying? I've plenty of journalism experience (though my undergrad was in Communication) and, like the poster a few posts above me, have written for some prominent newspapers for a few years now. Is it worth it to send in an application in mid-April?</p>

<p>The only place I can afford to go to right now is Ole Miss. The school itself isn't terrible, especially if all I'm looking to eventually getting a Ph.D., but I'm thinking about sending in an application to Indiana just to see if I can get accepted there and think about the financial situation later.</p>

<p>can anyone tell me comparing American university and Fordham ,which school's communication program is better?</p>

<p>hi....im from India. i am very keen on pursuing a course in journalism and since there was no such course offered in my home country at the undergraduate level i decided to apply to univs in the the U.S
i have applied 2 5 univs and i got accepted by mizzous school of journalism. this is def my top choice univ but since i am an international student the fees are pretty high.
i will taking a loan 2 fund my 4 yr UG course and i wanted 2 know if it is really worth spending so much money. broadcast journalism has always been my passion but the finance seems to be the only barrier.</p>

<p>is the burden of the loan worth the studies at mizzou?
is it easy to procure a scholarship in the subsequent yrs once i begin my course in the univ?</p>

<p>hoping to get some gud advice and comments. Thnx. </p>

<p>hey im still waiting for some replies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</p>

<p>first, x@<a href="mailto:r@...i">r@...i</a> wouldn't recommend reposting so quickly awaiting replies. you're more likely to get ignored if you repost the same exact text every other day.</p>

<p>anyway, it's up to you whether or not you think it's worth it to take the loan for studies at mizzou. mizzou offers more graduate research and teaching assistantships than outright scholarships. for these positions, as an international student, you have to be on campus already one semester and have passed their screening for language capabilities (they don't want you teaching/researching if you can't communicate with students fluently). </p>

<p>honestly, what are your career goals? that factors into things as well. do you plan on working in india, the u.s., or somewhere else? theses are all things that factor into what you want to do. of course, mizzou has a great reputation here in the u.s....but would that even matter in india? there's something you'd need to know if you wanted to work there.</p>

<p>lots to consider. get back to us with detailed info like that...and not just reposting the same thing.</p>

<p>Does anybody know anything about Berkeley grad admissions? I am a junior right now and just recently decided I wanted to go to j-school for broadcast so I will be applying with less experience than most. I am a history major with a great GPA and have interned with a radio station and the school's tv station. I know that Berkeley is pretty competitive but was wondering what the experience level was of some of those admitted.</p>

<p>thnx for d response............n sorry 4 d reposting
i was just eager 2 gt some advice as there is not a sole here i can consult........im totally depending on blogs 2 gt some helpful info.</p>

<p>im really interested in broadcast journalism and the course in mizzou seems to be pretty perfect. the problem is that since i cant visit the univ nor can i talk 2 d counselors or current students/alumni i have to totally rely on d website info and what is told to me. this is the sole reason why im a bit anxious as to whether i will be able to repay the loans once i complete my UG at mizzou.</p>

<p>mizzou does seems to have good internships but is it easy getting jobs in d media market currently and what would be the approx salary of a journalist right out of univ???????</p>

<p>would appreciate any help and advice...........n sorry once again 4 d reposting!!!!!!!!!!!</p>

<p>I'm also looking for the undergraduate program in Journalism major. I collected some information.</p>

<p>UIUC also has good media school, like Journalism and Advertising program
PSU is good too
Maryland, U Wisconsin madison</p>

<p>all in all, Northwestern is the best</p>

<p>Try Boston University's College of Communication. It is consistently highly-ranked.</p>

<p>Hi all. I am a high school senior from Long Island, NY. By next week, I have to decide between Missouri's J-School and Newhouse at Syracuse. Anybody have any opinions/insight? Please either post here or on my original thread.</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-search-selection/667952-syracuse-vs-missouri-columbia-journalism.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-search-selection/667952-syracuse-vs-missouri-columbia-journalism.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>What's with everyone posting about undergrad here in the grad forum? Not to be a stickler, but this is the grad forum. There's a place for the undergrad stuff.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Sorry....somebody sent me a link to this thread. Didn't even realize it was in the grad forum. I totally understand your annoyance, as this is something that would annoy me. Had I realized, I wouldn't have posted here.</p>

<p>Recently USC, Berkely, Cloumbia, and Northwestern have joined forces in recruiting students. It was stated by a Columbia official that these school represent the best journalism programs in the nation. </p>

<p>My opinion, is that each program has each program has its strengths. Choose the one the fits your personality and career goals.</p>