Top Scholar?

Dd got a Top Scholar day invite . . . Being (pretty far) OOS, and already decided on UA (based on one great 2 day visit in October), we weren’t planning on returning until Bama Bound (already registered) in May.

Is there any reason we should make the (1000 mile one way) trip for this event?

Who gets these invites? (Dd is a NMF, FWIW.) I could see some purpose in going if there’d really be a chance to meet and get to know other incoming students and/or faculty, but that seems hard to imagine in one day. Who goes? How big is it? (She was offered three March dates to choose from.)

Thanks!

TSD is similar to Capstone Scholars Day, but on a smaller scale. If you have visited before you aren’t likeky to learn anything new.

My daughter got an invite, and we are planning to go next week March 6th.

We were planning on making another trip anyway, so this will work out. We are from the Chicago area.

This was my daughters only visit four years ago. It is a very nice day and well done. She was a NMF and after talking with Dean Sharpe, it sealed the deal. She graduates in May and now my son has an invite. We are in central Illinois and most likely won’t go unless he thinks he needs to. Son has been there plenty of times already having sister there. For those of us up north, it is a welcome get away as the weather was great on our visit.

This is supposedly for the students with exceptionally high stats…I don’t know if they include all the NMFs in this group or if its just focused on the students with very high stats.

My son was invited, not a NMF, just high stats. Not sure if he will go, we’ve did a tour last year. He is interested in the International Honors program, which I just discovered yesterday. We never heard anything about it on our tour.

I got invited, not NMF but pretty high stats. Probably not going because I went to the CBHP weekend…

IIRC, the International Honors Program is on a temporary hiatus as the former director retired. There was also a question of how to get more students involved in the program as the requirements were quite detailed.

Top Scholars Day is a great time to visit if you haven’t done so already, but if you’ve already had a personalized visit and live far away, it’s okay not to attend. Bama Bound is only a few months away.

^^^i was going to mention that, as I remember reading that and also I did not see the program listed under Honors College in the newest catalog.

That doesn’t mean that there aren’t plenty of International opportunities.

Son invited too. High stats and NMF. Coincides with Spring Break when we’ll be visiting grandpa in Huntsville. Yet another opportunity hopefully for UA to persuade son.