Transfer Chance me

Hi! I am considering transferring from Clemson to Umass Amherst and am wondering if I have a good chance at getting in.
I am a freshman at Clemson, and had a 3.43 last semester. I graduated high school with a 4.5 gpa and several activities although I did not apply to UMass Amherst last year. I have no idea what is required for UMass Amherst as a transfer.
Thanks!

“To have a shot at transferring into UMass Amherst, you should have a current GPA of at least 3.9 - ideally you’re GPA will be around 4.06. In addition, you will need to submit standardized test scores.”

My SAT was also a 1230 if that helps.

This might be a dumb question, but I didn’t know you could surpass a 4.0 in college?

Pretty sure the 3.9 is coming from HS not college transfer as 3.9 is the average HS GPA at UM Amherst. I’d say you have a good shot, though some majors like CS, business, nursing and Engineering are very competitive.

This is directly from their website:

Transfer Profile

• Average GPA - 3.35
  • Joint Admissions/MassTransfer - 310
  • 1,090 students
  • 3132 transfer applications

Thats what I was thinking too. I applied for communicative disorders.

Some universities give a 4.3 or a 4.33 for an A+. Some other universities do not even have grades of A+ (including some that do have A-, B+ and so on). I do know someone who had better than a 4.0 in a short graduate program and someone else who currently has better than a 4.0 over the first 3 1/2 years of a bachelor’s program. This is probably rare but does seem to be possible.

However, I am pretty sure that you do not need anything as high as 4.0 to transfer to U.Mass Amherst. It is a very good school, but perfection is not required.

I find it very hard to predict what it would take to transfer to U.Mass given a pandemic year plus the relatively small number of transfer students. OP’s very good high school grades might help given that they have only one semester of university which took place during a pandemic.

I got in this morning!

3 Likes

what happened with clemson? if you don’t mind sharing

I am from the north and Clemson wasn’t really for me. It was very southern and in the middle of nowhere, did not feel like I fit in well. However, so many people do love it!

Thanks. My brother is applying. He’s from NYC and that’s his biggest concern. “middle of nowhere”

How do you like U Mass?

We are in the northeast and my daughter is going to be a freshman at Clemson. She also got into UMASS with good merit, never got to see the campus, but visited Clemson and loved it. The 3rd largest population is from NJ, so I’m hoping having a lot of NE students there helps with the transition. I’m worried about the middle of nowhere factor since we are definitely not in the middle of nowhere here.

I do hear a lot of people from NJ attend Clemson.

We are going to visit Clemson next week… That should help!

1 Like

would you mind sharing her OOS stats. He has only taken one SAT 1350. Taking another in August. 90 GPA UW

SAT 1470, ACT 33, 3.9 UW (one B+), 7 AP’s.

There is actually a NJ Clemson Facebook group, they had at least 2 meet ups this summer, 1 in Bergen county, the other at LBI yesterday.

Thank you. I appreciate the info!