Transfer Fall 2024 [Fulfilling Lab Science online?]

Hi everyone,

Georgia Tech’s College of Business requires a freshman year Lab Science Elective for those looking to transfer into sophomore year. Does anyone have experience or knowledge of doing a non-degree, online Lab Science to satisfy this requirement?

Not sure what you mean by non-degree lab class? You mean a class taken as a transient student at a different college than you are attending?

Contact the transfer AO and ask.

2 Likes

Agree to contact the admissions officer, but also you need to figure out how that transient class will be reported on your current school transcript. My guess is an online lab course will not get you transfer credit at Georgia Tech by itself but you need to confirm that through the transfer equivalency table. If that is the case, if your school accepts it and it is on your transcript that you submit to Georgia Tech, it could work.

I definitely know of people who have submitted transcripts from two different schools for transfer pathway consideration. How this usually comes up is someone needs to take pre-calculus at a community college summer after they graduate high school, so they can take calculus in their freshman year.

Definitely something that you need to speak with the admissions office about. The transfer pathway requirements are very strict and a class that doesn’t qualify will kick you out of contention.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone for their replies!

Son is considering taking the arts and science pathway offer for fall 2024.
He has AP physics credit from his current school and it appears on his transcript as a course equivalent to Physics 207. Would that be considered to fulfill one of the lab science requirements?
He’s currently taking an environmental studies lab course, we couldn’t find an equivalent course at GA tech. Does that mean this won’t be considered as a lab elective and he will have to take another one?

Thanks for all your inputs and suggestions.

Double check the course equivalent. Georgia Tech uses four numbers to identify most courses. I’ve never heard of physics 207. Did he take a separate lab with that course? That’s what they mean by lab science. You need to take the class and the lab for it to qualify.
I’m pretty sure that the classes you take to qualify for the requirements laid out in the transfer pathways must have an equivalent at Georgia Tech under the transfer equivalency table. I have heard of students submitting the course syllabus for approval.

The transfer pathway requirements are super strict with no wiggle room.

1 Like