Transfer Texas A&M spring 2019 liberal arts college

Hey there,
I’m wanting to transfer to A&Ms Liberal Arts college as an economic major. Right now I have a 3.667 GPA but I still have to do both econs and Calculus which I’m doing in the summer so that I can apply for Spring 2019. After I take these I will have completed 60 hours. I just wanted to know if I’m in good standing right now or if i should really tighten up on these last classes to strengthen my chances. Also, does having 60 hours hurt my chances of getting in? I know I’ll have to take an off semester in the fall so that I don’t exceed 60 hours because they want you to do a certain number of hours at the University. And does AP classes that I passed count towards my hours that they look at? Like Psych?

Yes, your hours for AP credit should transfer granted you send them your highschool records in addition to AP placement scores of all that are applicable.

3.667 GPA sounds good enough depending on your previous college you attended. Might hurt you significantly if it was a 3.667 at a community college versus another university.

Do you have any clubs/volunteer/work experience that is bolstering your resume? Or is it simply GPA.

EDIT: Also, 60 hours of prior coursework will not hurt you if they are all hours applicable to your degree since they will still count towards the Texas hour limit…not 100% how the system works, but I think it is over a certain amount of hours you have to start paying out-of-state tuition.

@madmac246 talk to an advisor in the economics department as they can give you a much more accurate and meaningful assessment. They will tell you the GPA range they “look for” based upon the prior years acceptance. This will give you the best information.

I’m currently an officer of PTK (which is an honor society for community colleges) and I’m part of 3 other clubs located on campus. I also have a lot of volunteer hours within the last two years and I work two jobs while going to school full time. I was also top 5% of my high school class if that means anything. I know I’m an auto admit into the general college just not guaranteed my college of choice.

Just pick up the phone and call an advisor in the department, yes, and ask about exact policy on allowable hours. It seems as though you have a very good record, but they will probably want to see good grades in the courses you have coming up. Summer courses can be rough if there’s a lot of material. Be prepared if you haven’t done one previously.

I actually just got my finalized GPA including the spring semester and I have a 3.784!

@EchoSolar. I have spoken to many of the TAMU advisers, as well as advisers from other schools, all of them state that they can not legally look at the university you are applying from when making acceptance decisions. Example…

…say you transfer from UT Austin with a 3.5. Someone else transfers from a community college with a 3.6. The two of you are Identical in every way, assuming the only thing looked at is GPA , you will be accepted after the community college kid.

Just because you come from a CC does not mean you are less or have to do more than university students. They are all treated as equals. If not that would defeat the purpose of a GPA which is used to place everyone on a equal scale for assessment. I spoke to an advise about transferring into international studies (business) they stated above a 3.5 and your in good shape. I now have a 3.8 and will be applying to Mays with 76 credits instead.