Trip recap/Thanks for all the wonderful infor

<p>Thank you to everyone who has posted about Alabama in this forum. We found out about the scholarship opportunities and then what to do when we visited campus.</p>

<p>We just got back from our visit. We live in California, so it’s been tricky trying to schedule a visit, but I’m glad we made it out there now instead of waiting.</p>

<p>She went to University Days on Tuesday, but also had lots of meetings on Monday. She had lunch with an honors student. Then we toured the campus. We met with Dr. Morgan, the associate dean of the Honors college. My daughter said she was fantastic. She told my daughter about different programs including the University Fellows Program, which my daughter is very interested in. After that, we met with Dr. Caldwell. He does lots of research in neurological disorders including dystonia. My daughter has dystonia, so this was extremely interesting. We got to tour his lab which is absolutely fantastic!! </p>

<p>On Monday evening, we went to see Merrily We Roll Along by the theatre department. We only went to about half of the University Days on Tuesday. We wanted some time to drive around Tuscaloosa. We also met someone from the music department. On Tuesday night, my daughter attended Cru (Campus Crusade for Christ). She already facebook friended several kids from Cru.</p>

<p>I went to Texas A&M, and my son is attending there. I love A&M because of the great friends I made there, and I received an excellent education, but I was blown away by the opportunities my daughter will have at Alabama. The amount of undergraduate research is impressive. The dorms are beautiful! Everyone was friendly and upbeat!</p>

<p>I think my daughter is a very lucky young lady!! </p>

<p>Thanks again for everyone who has given us information about 'Bama!!</p>

<p>My D and wife were there as well and had a nice visit. They said they talked to a young lady and her parent (dad maybe??) who were from CA. If so, my D is the one you were talking to about CPSLO :)</p>

<p>Either way, good luck on your daughter’s decision!</p>

<p>Hi calibamabound. We’re also from Cali, my son is a freshman and very happy at UA. I’m sure your daughter will love it too.</p>

<p>Wow! Glad to hear that you had an awesome visit!</p>

<p>So happy it was a successful trip.
My son is one of the asst. stage managers for Merrily We Roll Along - you got to see opening night! This is only the second time we haven’t been to one of his shows and it makes me sad. How did you like the show? (If pieces of the set ended up in the wrong places during mid-scene changes, it was his fault! )</p>

<p>I’m a fellow Aggie…Gig 'em.</p>

<p>She liked the show. She was hoping to talk to some of the actors after the show, but that didn’t happen. She did talk to some kids that were ushers, and they were telling her about the program. She’s happy that you don’t have to be a major to participate in productions. (Not the case at A&M) Same thing with music ensembles. </p>

<p>A few years ago, she was a very accomplished flute player and wanted to major in music. She had to give that up because she got musician’s cramp (focal dystonia). She sings now, but not good enough to sing professionally. However, she still loves all things with performing. Alabama seems like a good mix for her. Opportunities to perform while pursuing another degree.</p>

<p>I’m glad you had a great visit. My D is a junior at Bama, and her experience there has lived up to the hype of the visit.</p>

<p>YES! UA offers so many opportunities for non-majors to still participate in whatever is of interest to the student, and I have witnessed this first-hand w/ both theater and music. :wink: </p>

<p>Dr. Caldwell has a link that might be of interest to readers: <a href=“http://bama.ua.edu/~gcaldwel/”>http://bama.ua.edu/~gcaldwel/&lt;/a&gt; Roll Nucleotide!</p>

<p>So thrilled to hear about your good experiences. If your daughter sings, perhaps she is in concert choir or glee at her high school, and wants to continue her musical education, there are several choirs at UA. My son sang and performed in several different ones during his four years at Bama.</p>

<p>robotbldmom, we have been researching the choral opportunities for non-music majors at UA for DD. Could not find many groups described, especially a capella. Could you give us the names of the choirs/groups?</p>

<p>Sure, sorry it took a little while to compile this.
Here is some information gathered from various UA webpages.
-Just an FYI: you do have to pay tuition for these group classes.</p>

<p>Vocal
A wide variety of vocal ensembles are available to all students on the University of Alabama campus. Participation in an approved ensemble is required for music majors each semester.  Ensembles of particular interest to singers include the University Chorus, the University Singers, and the University Opera Theatre.</p>

<p>For more information about the choral program, contact Director of Choral Activities Dr. John Ratledge.</p>

<p>If you would like more information about the opera program, please contact Prof. Paul Houghtaling or visit the Opera Theatre’s webpage.</p>

<p>In addition to the ensembles outlined above, other non-curricular vocal groups which are open to all university students include the Men’s A Cappella Ensemble “Subject to Change” and the showchoir “Resonance.”</p>

<p>University Chorus
The University Chorus, directed by Dr. Marvin E. Latimer Jr., is a choral ensemble of approximately 75 music majors and non-music majors open to all undergraduate and graduate choristers at the University of Alabama. Rehearsals are Tuesday and Thursday from 12:30-1:45 p.m. in the Moody Music Building Choral Opera Room.</p>

<p>University Chorus performs literature from the standard choral and choral-orchestral repertoire to contemporary music. In addition to major performances in Moody Concert Hall, University Chorus has recently performed as special guests in area worship services and at the Alabama American Choral Directors Association Invitational Choir Festival in Birmingham, Ala. In recent semesters, the University Chorus has performed such works as Memorial, Rene Clausen; Requiem, John Rutter; How Like an Angel Came I Down, Rupert Lang; Requiem, Johannes Brahms; and Mass of the Children, John Rutter.</p>

<p>The goal of the University Chorus is to provide our singers and our audiences with a stimulating musical experience. In any four-year cycle, singers can expect to perform repertoire in several languages and in various musical styles Each rehearsal involves a combination of vocal instruction, ensemble training and musical interpretation. Singers can expect to be challenged and enriched in many ways over the course of each year.</p>

<p>University Singers
The University Singers is the premiere vocal ensemble at the University of Alabama School of Music. Comprised of 45 auditioned singers, Singers has performed three times at the internationally-reknown Spivey Hall of Atlanta, Georgia. Major works in the past four years have included the Brahms Ein deutches Requiem, Orff Carmina burana, Verdi Requiem, and Bach Johannes passion. The 2009-2010 season will include performances of Britten’s Cantata misericordium and Duruflé’s Requiem. University Singers have been included in concerts with Ward Swingle, James Earl Jones, Della Reese, and William Warfield, have made two recordings of the 40-year tradition, Hilaritas, three premieres of choral pieces at the SCI 1992 National Conference, and an appearance at the 1994 Southern Regional ACDA Convention in Knoxville. </p>

<p>*Please note:
Most of the classes offered in the School of Music are open to students majoring in subjects other than music, provided that prerequisites are met. For information about specific courses, see the music course descriptions in the UA Undergraduate Catalog.</p>

<p>The School of Music offers a course in music appreciation, MUS 121 Introduction to Listening, that is designed especially for non-music majors. Several sections of this course are offered each semester. The course is offered also in summer and via correspondence study in the College of Continuing Studies.</p>

<p>A course fee is associated with private applied study; see the printed University of Alabama Schedule of Classes for details. Beginning students and students who do not wish to enroll for credit may enroll the private applied study through our Community Music School.</p>

<p>Apart from music appreciation and private applied study, it is the School’s performing ensembles that attract non-music majors most frequently. Non-music majors should note that:
◦ Music ensembles are regular classes and carry one credit hour.
◦ Every ensemble requires an audition that occurs at the start of the semester.
◦A student may register for an ensemble without auditioning, but will be required to drop the class if the audition is unsuccessful.
◦Non-music majors must register for ensembles at the 100 level.
◦Music ensembles do not meet in summer.</p>

<p>Ensembles with the largest population of non-music majors are the Symphonic Band, the Million Dollar Marching Band, and the School’s choral groups.</p>

<p>-Here are some of the listings for Vocal classes from the course catalog:
MUS 164. Chamber Choir. 1 sem. hr.
Applied ensemble for singers </p>

<p>MUA 162. University Chorus. 0-1 sem. hrs.
Applied Ensemble at the undergraduate level.</p>

<p>MUA 163. University Singers. 0-1 sem. hrs.
Applied Ensemble at the undergraduate level.</p>

<p>MUA 234. Voice (Secondary). 0.5-1 sem. hrs.
Applied lessons for music students majoring in another discipline</p>

<p>-In addition to performance classes, there are Open Mic Nights which are widely popular from what I hear.</p>

<p>-Here are two campus organizations that have a musical interest
Afro American Gospel Choir (AAGC)
We are a special interest organization on the campus of The University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Our members all share a common enjoyment for ministry and serving God through song and dance. Our organization is known world wide for its creative ministry and for the past four years we have participated in and won first place in the large choir division at the National Baptist Student Union Retreat. We travel throughout the southeast representing The University of Alabama as a recruitment resource and also representing our diverse communities as a form of outreach</p>

<p>-American Choral Directors Association (ACDA) {my note: this seems to be for music majors}
The student chapter of ACDA promotes all choral activities at the University of Alabama. It is comprised of vocal music education majors and choral conducting graduate students. The chapter assists with any local ACDA events hosted at the University of Alabama and attends conferences at the National and Southern Divisional levels. ACDA also helps and volunteers for local high school choirs.</p>

<p>***An additional piece of info is that each of these choral groups/classes will require on stage performances, therefore proper performance attire is required. For instance, the young men’s dress requirements are Tuxedoes, tux shirt, bow tie and dress shoes.</p>

<p>There is a Choral performance this evening but I am not sure that it will be live streamed. it begins at 7:30 pm Alabama time
to access this go The University of Alabama School of Music LIve Stream link here:
<a href=“http://www.ustream.tv/channel/uofa-som”>http://www.ustream.tv/channel/uofa-som&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Interesting list of ‘rules’ and regs, but prospective non-major students should not be daunted! (My S is not a music major, yet has enrolled in the level 2** and 3** ensemble courses, in his SO and JR years, respectively. Chorus may have different enrollment rules to band/orchestra?) There is a rather hefty fee associated w/ his 1-credit hour private lesson - be prepared! </p>

<p>"…The University of Alabama School of Music LIve Stream link here:
<a href="http://www.ustream.tv/channel/uofa-som"&gt;http://www.ustream.tv/channel/uofa-som&lt;/a&gt;"&lt;/p&gt;

<p>You can sign up to get notifications of when UA’s UStream goes live, but it is instantaneous (i.e., you get notice the very minute it goes on air). They pay for airtime, so it won’t often go ‘live’ until right at concert time, and cuts off immediately after the concert. Sometimes even intermissions are off-air to save them money?</p>

<p>^^^YES, don’t be daunted, there are many many intro music classes. Go to the undergraduate courses and see. I only listed some information about “vocals” as that was what was asked for. You can take both classes and private lessons from beginning levels on. You can also jump into higher levels if you have the expertise. Now there are some classes that are for music majors only (as it should be). But what I did was gather information from various web pages just to give you an overview into what is available both in vocal courses, lessons and non- curricula. I really don’t have any info on the “A Capella” groups. Nor do I know about the musical theatre productions except to say that I have seen postings of students being involved in these. Also, I do not know about the opera productions but would imagine that those are music opera majors only.</p>

<p>Calbamabound: Again, I don’t know the level of your daughter’s vocal range, but since she is an accomplished flutist, of course she reads music and understands musical direction, so I would think that she should be able to jump into a choral group. Some of the choral groups are very small, so bear in mind that the conductor may need only so many altos, or sopranos depending on the pieces that are being performed that semester. It could be easier to get into a larger choral group. She can always contact the professor prior to the semester and make inquiries. Having choral experience is probably helpful but maybe not necessary. They also might ask for an audition in order to determine her range etc. </p>

<p>Just remember that these are not overly large groups so they are dependent on each person’s voice. It is a commitment that requires full class participation, attendance, and practice. The student is required to be at rehearsals and performances as part of their grade. However, I am sure that any student who has been part of an orchestra, band or ensemble fully recognizes this.</p>

<p>I think that the best approach is to contact a professor and discuss the options. Perhaps, if an audition is needed, it can be done during a visit or Bama Bound. </p>

<p>Just remember that there are only a few days/times that these choral groups meet. So you really need to schedule your other classes around these days/times.</p>

<p>Thank you all who posted, especially robotbldmom! We did not get this from our research. We really appreciate the time you spent.</p>

<p>You’re welcome :)</p>

<p>My son was able to be in several vocal performance groups, however not always the same ones due to scheduling conflicts. If your student truly enjoys music and singing, I would highly recommend that she try out one of these groups. </p>

<p>The only downside for myself, as an OOS parent, was that the performance concert’s scheduling did not coincide with move out time (spring semester) and too expensive to fly in (fall semester), therefore I was unable to see any of the concerts in person. I think that it was during the spring semester of my student’s second year that the live streaming of some of these concerts began. Whether a particular concert will be live streamed is dictated by how many performances and recitals are scheduled for any particular evening. It really is nice if you can see your student perform.I wish they would live stream all of these performances and archive them for later viewing as well.</p>

<p>The men’s A Capella group Subject to Change no longer exists. It has transitioned into a co-ed group now named No Strings Attached. </p>

<p>Last year there was also an all women’s A Capella group created in the honor’s college - The Acabellas. I haven’t seen any information on it lately, so I don’t know if it’s still a group or not.</p>

<p>(I also don’t have many details about the A Capella groups, but my son who was in choir throughout high school has auditioned in the past, so I can probably locate contact information).</p>

<p>I love those group names they have! ;)</p>