Triple major?

Hello-I don’t want to make this burdensome but I would love your advice. I am an incoming freshman at Tech, minimal credit wise I am classified as a sophomore (got all my credits from high school via dual enrollment), and I am considering double majoring and possibly triple major. My primary major right now is biochemistry w/minor in chem (pre-med track) and I do have some options of what I want to possible gain another major or majors in.

-Psychology (since AAMC changed the MCAT this year. Never took a course in Psychology but take a course in Sociology.)

-Computer Science (there is an obvious demand in the market for more CS majors since we are in the information age.)

-Spanish (Literature not teaching) (Grew up in an area where there are a lot of hispanics and it would help if I were fluent in Spanish, took a lot of Spanish classes in high school.)

-French (Literature not teaching) (The social class culture of the French intrigue me; however, never took a class in French but I know how to study any new subject.)

-Sociology (I took a course in Sociology and absolutely loved the subject, it got me thinking about the different wealth classes/cultures in modern society.)

-Finance (I have been reading a lot/researching on Finance out of recreational time and have been intrigued in stocks.)

-Economics (Same scenario with finance and sociology together.)

Good Gawd. You should take classes in various subjects to explore your interests and expand your knowledge. It is not necessary to obtain second or third majors unless you want to spend extra money as a semi-permanent student. If you intend to study medicine I’d recommend graduating in three years (if that’s possible given your course requirements) and save the money for expensive medical school.

If your existing credits don’t fulfill all of your CLE requirements then take a full year of Intro Psychology and Intro to Sociology. Spanish language or French Language classes won’t count toward your major but the literature classes should meet one of the CLE group requirements. More than likely though these classes will have to fill a free elective to count to the bio/chem major. If you are really interested you could consider a minor in a language but why? You don’t need to take more language classes you need to use the language to become proficient. Perhaps a study abroad might be interesting?

Computer Science has heavy math and programming requirements. You might be able to get a minor but going for a major would probably extend your studies from 3 years to 5? I’m not sure how a minor in CS would benefit you in the long run.

I don’t see any advantage to studying finance and economics if you really want to be a doctor. Find some books and learn on your own.

Teehee, I saw your post on the VT2019 facebook page

@BassGuitar Oh the sweet rich irony!

What do you see the point of the extra major? do you think that med/grad schools will think you are better b/c of it? You will be surprised how little your actual major(s) matter to them- or anybody else. Fulfill your requirements for med school and your major; use your remaining credits to follow your interests!