Tulane - ED vs EA rumblings

Keep hearing that the new administration is moving away from the massive numbers taken during ED and changing its tune regarding the numbers taken during EA.

Has anyone also heard this?

Could it actually be possible to now have a realistic chance this app cycle to get an offer outside of the ED rounds?

Of course these rumblings were prior to the shift in USNWR ranking but the application is still free so their numbers will always be high and the news regarding the saltwater forecast is changing on the daily,

1 Like

Tulane did take fewer students in ED and EA last year. But, RD will still be a difficult admit due unhooked applicants and/or those who don’t meet institutional priorities. Is there any reason you/your kid can’t make the EA deadline?

Not disputing your statement but where do you see the numbers of ED/EA that were taken last year? CDS hasn’t been published yet for '23 enrollees yet (that I’ve seen). Their facebook post for the RD round was that they sent out acceptances to ~400 students. Assuming even 50% of those students enrolled (200) on a class size of ~2,000 they left 10% of their slots open for RD.

I’ve seen nothing published by the school that says they’re “moving away from…”. All I’ve seen is parents/students “hoping” they new administration moves away from the heavy focus on yield". Completely agree with you though that if the student doesn’t want to commit ED they should be submitting EA if they even slightly interested.

S23 was one of those 400 (shocked) and I can tell you that he applied EA, was deferred to RD and they tried the ploy of “switch now to EDII” which we didn’t bite at.

There’s nothing in the USNWR calculation (that I see) that factors in ED/EA/RD pools of applicants. The saltwater intrusion has happened before and not specific to Tulane. Just like blizzards, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc there’s probably not many schools that don’t have to deal with some severe environmental factors from time to time. For S23, the risk of such things never entered the conversation when coming up with the list of schools to apply to. YMMV

There are multiple sources stating a change in strategy, some public, some to counselors.

College kickstart (a paid service that has some 2027 numbers) as do some third party blog posts (total acceptance rate accurate, but difficult to prove/disprove breakdown by round).

Note that 400 RD acceptance number is significantly higher than class of 2026 RD acceptances.

2 Likes

On last years co2023 thread, there were several families who attended admissions presentations by Tulane, who said the admissions officers said they would be moving away from the heavy focus on filling the class with ED students. Whether the final numbers show that actually happened or not, I don’t know.

This is what I’m waiting on to see.

"Additionally, in order to create more opportunities for applicants from middle- and low-income households, the Office of Admissions had lowered Early Decision offers of admission from 875 students for the class of 2026 to 800 this year. "

Do we really consider a 10% reduction in ED acceptances a substantial change? And this doesn’t cover what might (or might not) have happened in the EDII round.

I’ll wait until the CDS comes out to see if all the dialogue was talking points or actual change. And FWIW the change needs to be off the '18-'21 CDS’s, not '22-'23.

'22-'23 '21-'22 '20-'21 '19-'20 '18-'19
Total Applicants 31,615 45,525 43,892 42,185 38,816
Admitted 3,621 4,385 4,877 5,431 6,724
Enrolled 1,843 2,027 1,801 1,821 1,909
ED Applied 1,853 3,853 3,976 2,163 1,659
ED Accepted 1,258 1,209 922 720 535
ED % Admitted 68% 31% 23% 33% 32%
EA/RD Applications 29,762 41,672 39,916 40,022 37,157
EA/RD Admitted 2,363 3,176 3,955 4,711 6,189
EA/RD Acceptance 8% 8% 10% 12% 17%
EA/RD Enrolled 585 818 879 1,101 1,374
Enroll % of Admitted 25% 26% 22% 23% 22%

Absolutely, in just one year. And 400 RD acceptances as compared to less than 1% in Class of 2026 is also a significant change.

I doubt the CDS is going to show ED2 and EA numbers without which we still won’t know numbers by round/have full clarity or transparency. Tulane RD will continue to prioritize applicants who fit institutional priorities.

ETA: to be clear, at Tulane and likely many other institutions, shifting admits by round requires president, other senior admin, and board of trustee approval. Tulane Board of Trustees care about USNWR rankings.

I’m not willing to compare it to '22-'23 since those numbers are historical aberrations but a reduction of 75 ED’s when from '20-'21 to '21-'22 ED acceptances went up by almost 300?

I’m not well versed enough in the application history at Tulane but clearly something was happening '18-'21 since the number of ED applicants more than doubled.

Agree, CDS isn’t going to reflect the 4 different applicant pools but will bucket ED’s together and EA/RD (which from an applicant standpoint is really what matters, no?). Agree as well that RD will go towards institutional priorities.

If post led to assumption student could not meet EA deadline that was not intended.
Student is just not applying ED.

1 Like

I don’t think this spring scholar number is accurate. My son is a spring scholar and there are 60-70 kids in Rome alone. With probably another 40 in London and Paris and then I’m sure many others that chose not to go abroad.

2 Likes

We won’t know that number unless Tulane communicates them. Spring scholars numbers are not included in CDS stats, similar to Northeastern not including some of their special programs in the official stats, like NUIn.

1 Like

I was just pointing out that the article you sent has not been what I have experienced for the class of 2027 spring scholars. That’s all

Can you add some color to this please? To my understanding, at pretty much all schools offering EA, ED, and ED2, giving EA applicants the option of switching to ED2 if otherwise deferred to RD comes in the form of a standard email, received by all deferred EA applicants. Did you receive something other than this type of thing?

1 Like

There was more than a single/standard email. Think there might have been 2-3 emails and a postcard. I wasn’t trying to imply they do anything different than any other school that offers an EDII round but I 100% consider it a ploy to boost their yield and/or reduce merit awards.

1 Like

Yes sorry was wondering more if anything had been received that was non-standard, i.e. not offered to all students in that situation. Like, more direct arm twisting, wink wink nudge nudge style.

1 Like

Yes, it’s true. They are moving away from ED, especially for unhooked kids in privledged areas

1 Like

Overall, fewer than 800 first-year applicants were offered admission via Early Decision and fewer than 400 via Early Decision II, while nearly 2,400 were offered admission via Early Action and over 400 via Regular Decision. This means Tulane extended roughly 400 additional non-binding offers of admission this year compared to the 2021-2022 admissions cycle.

Roughly 250 additional students were admitted for Spring 2024 with the opportunity to spend their first semester in Barcelona, London, Paris, or Rome. "To save room for more first-generation college students and students who do not feel comfortable making a binding commitment so early, we reduced our Early Decision offers of admission this year and increased Early Action and Regular Decision offers.” shared Shawn Abbott, Tulane’s Vice President for Enrollment Management and Dean of Admission.

1 Like

Totally agree. I know CWRU is doing this game too.

Going to put this right here for those students who aren’t sure of themselves from another post:

Remember also students who didn’t get in, or who are considering Tulane: there is the IDT (interdivisional transfer) from the Tulane School of Professional Advancement to NTC with fulfilling the 6 core requirements:
Foreign Language
Math
Science
English (English 1010 compulsory)
Social Science
Humanities
With a C (or C-) or better
At least two (2) semesters in SoPA (School of Professional Advancement)
At least 18 Tulane credits
Upon completion of such, you will require a deans letter of approval from SoPA, just like going from NTC to SoPA, and you will have completed IDT to becoming a full fledged Tulanian!
Google: Tulane interdivisional transfer, it’ll show up under the School of Professional Advancement.
Perfect way to circumvent the normal freshman undergraduate route if you have a year or three of a break from school, and last I saw, you need a 2.0 GPA to get in. Not necessarily the 1-3 years break from school. Also, you don’t need to break from school, all you have to do is go into the SoPA and work on the transfer process.

They only know what you tell them. :wink:

Good luck everyone, especially if you’re financially hurting, SoPA may be the PERFECT way to start!

Good luck!