Tuscaloosa in the summer

<p>I am getting ready to apply to UA and I wanted to apply for summer term. My question to you all is how is Tuscaloosa in the summer? Is there still a lot of people on campus? As I am coming from overseas and have not lived in the United States for the past 13 years I was hoping to do summer term so I could get adjusted while not being overwhelmed with all the freshman moving in. Do you think it is a good decision?</p>

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>My D and I were wondering about the same thing. My oldest D started in the summer at a large, instate U years ago and found it advantageous. The only down side is that your summer housing is likely different from your dorm for the fall semester. So either way you have to move the summer stuff out and do move in with everyone else in the fall. Has anyone heard of arrangements being made so that only one move in is necessary? That would really make it worth it. </p>

<p>UA hosts a variety of camps and events during the summer, so there are lots of things going on during the week. Overall, campus will be less busy and the weather will likely be hot and humid.</p>

<p>As most UA dorms are used to house camp participants during the summer, it’s unlikely that one will have the same room assignment for both the summer and the fall.</p>

<p>When considering starting during the summer, be aware that UA does a very good job at getting students accustomed to college life during the fall through Week of Welcome activities. I personally found that once school started, things were surprisingly calm. Apart form the occasional crossing guard at major intersections and more people at the dining halls and rec centers, UA is much the same as it is during other days of the semester. Even with 35,000+ students, it’s still easy to find quiet places on campus. If anything, it might be a good idea to move in as early as possible, especially if one can participate in a community service or team bonding activity such as Alabama Action, Outdoor Action, Black Belt Action, or Camp 1831.</p>

<p>I don’t think it’s a great idea to move in during the summer unless the school was able to place you in a dorm with other summer students. Even then I’m not sure it would be a great idea. Most would be upper-classmen who already have a life here. I think it could cause a “bad start”. </p>

<p>Also, summer classes are very expensive for OOS students. </p>

<p>Are you planning to go to school then? </p>

<p>The campus is “active” during the summer, but it will be mostly high school camps and Bama Bound students…not people staying that you could make friends with.</p>

<p>Tell us more about yourself… Are you an incoming 18 year old frosh or are you a vet? Or are you an Int’l? </p>

<br>

<br>

<p>What would be overwhelming for you? All the freshmen do not move in at the same time. Some move in early for Million Dollar Band, some move in early for Sorority Rush, some move in early for Alabama Action or Outdoor Action. </p>

<p>If you qualify for honors, then I think it would be better for you to move in early for something like Outdoor Action or Alabama Action. If not in Honors, then sign up for Camp 1831 (I see that SEA_Tide made the same recommendation.). If signing up for Camp 1831, I would see about signing up for the last session and being able to move in at that point.</p>

<p>Tell us what you would find overwhelming and maybe we can help mitigate that in another way. </p>

<p>You may consider the “Early College” program. <a href=“Summer On Campus  - College Credit in High School - UA Early College”>http://uaearlycollege.ua.edu/summer-on-campus/&lt;/a&gt;
My DS did not do that, but several between CC and the FB page did and recommended it. Students are housed together. </p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1592644-ua-early-college.html”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1592644-ua-early-college.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I will be coming in as a freshmen. I have lived and grown up in Turkey however my high school is based on the American system and because I am an American citizen. I was originally looking into Florida schools as I have family in the area but than I found UA. I have fallen in love with the school and the programs. I will be applying as an OOS instead of an International. I will be spending the entire summer in the states so I was hoping that I could immediately start getting a few credits out of the way. Just being back in America is what overwhelms me especially in a area that I am not familiar with. I did not word my question that well I trying to ask if there would be any other freshman on campus. I have a uncle in Atlanta so it would not be a problem to move in and out of a dorm. My grades are a little shy for the honors program but I am really interested in the “Early College” program. My only question is would I be able to pay the tuition through student loans as my family is currently not in the position to help me with college? </p>

<p><<<
My only question is would I be able to pay the tuition through student loans as my family is currently not in the position to help me with college?</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>This is the real problem. </p>

<p>You are a citizen so you can apply for aid using FAFSA. BUT…you can only borrow $5500 for the entire year. So I’m not sure that you can afford ANY school in the US. You certainly can’t afford summer school. You can’t borrow your way thru school. You’d end up with way toooooooo much debt.</p>

<p>The only way to borrow more (which is not a good idea) is to have your parents co-sign loans or have them take Plus loans (which would be THEIR loans, and they would have to be citizens). </p>

<p>Are you saying that your parents won’t pay for any of your college? And it sounds like you don’t qualify for any scholarships.</p>

<p>How did you expect to pay for the four years of college? </p>

<p>I know about FAFSA and I will be applying for it in January. My parents are willing to pay 4-5 thousand but that is about as much as they can manage and we have already been talking about taking a few private loans if necessary. I will be taking the SAT again in a few weeks so maybe I will be able to qualify for scholarships however they would be the minimum. I was not extremely worried about having a little debt after collage because I could either join Peace Corps or do Military to pay it off as well as work summers to save up. My only real problem is this summer as I am in a big transition and there is not really a way for me to save up. </p>

<p>Joining the Peace Corp or the military does not cancel private loans, nor will doing so cancel Parent Plus loans. </p>

<p>The only loans that would get forgiven are Federal Direct student loans (or Federal Perkins loans)…not federal Plus loans, and not private loans.</p>

<p>The issue isn’t “a little debt”…the issue is a LOT of debt. You’re OOS for all publics. The $5500 from a fed student loan, and $4-5k from your parents is still going to leave about $25k-30k of uncovered costs each year. </p>

<p>How much are you thinking of borrowing TOTAL? </p>

<p>It’s going to be scorching hot, I can tell you that .110*F will not be uncommon. </p>

<p>It rarely gets above 100 degrees in Tuscaloosa and most of the south. The worst during the summer is high 90s, with near 100% humidity. But usually during those days you will get afternoon thunderstorms rolling through around 4-5 pm and will cool off the temp significantly for the evening.</p>

<p>@Mandalorian‌ <<it’s going="" to="" be="" scorching="" hot,="" i="" can="" tell="" you="" that="" .110*f="" will="" not="" uncommon.="">>></it’s></p>

<p>??? Tuscaloosa rarely gets over 100 degrees. Why did you make up that claim that 110F will not be uncommon? </p>

<p>The highest temp recorded EVER in Tuscaloosa was 104 degrees one day in July in 1980…which was 34 years ago. </p>

<p>It may feel like a 110, but it never gets anywhere near that hot. If you’re coming from a part of the country unaccustomed to high humidity, it may be a rude adjustment, but you will eventually acclimate. Anyone from the Midatlantic will find it a little hotter and slightly more humid, but no more shocking than visiting Southern California when they’re having Santa Ana winds or really anywhere with a desert climate. My polar bear son adjusted fairly easily to the weather in Tuscaloosa, much to his surprise! </p>

<p>The best part is that for the majority of the school year, the temperature is moderate…not too hot and not too cold. However, there will be some COLD days so be prepared!</p>

<p>My son lived on campus for two summers, and I highly recommend it, especially if you are coming from far away. You will be placed in a suite style dorm, maybe have one or two, not necessarily three suitemates. There are a lot less students taking classes during that time, but there are a lot of students on campus working, doing research, participating in REUs. There are a good number of international students on campus during the summer. It is also advantageous to do the summer school to ease into the move, as after the last summer session is over, you will be able to move into your fall dorm. So, you won’t be moving in during freshman orientation with the thousands of other kids. Of course, this is not worth spending a lot of money, but if you want to ease in and make some friends in a smaller environment, it’s worth doing. Seems no matter where you go, you’re going to be paying OOS tuition, so if you like Bama and want to get an early start, go for it! Best of luck to you!</p>

<p>My D started UA the summer before her freshman year by going thru the UA Early College. GREAT EXPERIENCE! She loved it. We plan on D2 going to Early College or similar program at whatever school she is interested in. </p>

<p>It is not a dead town in the summer. There are lots of kids going to summer school, you have Bama Bound orientations going on all summer and then numerous camps for different ages.</p>

<p>As for the weather, as has already been clarified, it does NOT get to 110 degrees in Tuscaloosa. We are in Dallas where it does get to those temps. It might be humid but it is not near as hot in Tuscaloosa as it is in Dallas. Actually, temps in Tuscaloosa are lower than temps in Dallas. Rarely does it get to 100 degrees in Tuscaloosa. </p>

<p>Just know that weekends may be quiet. Many campus food choices are not open after lunch Friday thru Mon.</p>