U Miami Parents Thread

<p>Thanks! I thought it would be casual, but wanted to make sure. We are at the Courtyard in Coral Gables. See you all soon!</p>

<p>Love reading this… wonder if I will be about to get on a plane to Miami a year from now… please share all details when you get back!</p>

<p>Linymom - I was just thinking the same thing!!!</p>

<p>Good luck to everyone this week! My daughter will be helping with freshman orientation and has spent the earlier part of this week in “training” to help make orientation succesful. I know I am late in logging in but parents here are some tips from when we moved her in 2 years ago. First – bring extra shirts for Dads as they will be sweating by the time the process is over. Second – if possible, check in and get your key and plan to start moving in during early evening when it is not so hot. Also, the later you can move in the less time you will spend waiting in line for the elevators. Third - computer setup can take some time – so while one person is unloading the car, have your child get in line to have his/her laptop setup on the UM system. The IT guys do a great job at getting this done but there are way more freshmen then IT people. They will be doing the setup on the first floor of Hecht/Sanford. Target is down the street in Dadeland Station and it will be Mobbed. Container store is great across from Macy’s at the Dadeland mall. Home Depot is on South Dixie Hwy near Coconut Grove. For breakfast, Bagelicous is fast and convenient. It is right the across from campus in the TGIF plaza near the Holiday Inn on S.Dixie Hwy. I think the school does a great job with move in given the limitation of the elevators. And parents you will enjoy the programs as there is always something going on for you. I hope everything goes smoothly for everyone!</p>

<p>So quiet here with everyone moving their kids in… thinking about you all and looking forward to hear about it on your return!</p>

<p>Just got home and unpacked the car after dropping off DD. I have not ventured to her side of the house…too sad and already missing her, but she did look so happy and was sweet to reassure me that she’d be fine and had already made friends and was having fun. Leaving was difficult for me and DH.
We had another amazing 5 days in Coral Gables. Move in was smooth and although hot, it did not rain on us and the elevator lines were not incredibly long. DD is rooming with Illinoismom’s DD, so it was fun seeing them and getting to know their family. I know the girls will have a great year in Stanford! The room was looking adorable when we left and I’m sure Illinoismom will post some pictures. She was finishing some last touches and hopefully will take pics before she leaves. We didn’t take any…oops forgot the camera, but remembered most everything else! The parent orientation sessions were informative and reassuring and I am confident that my kids (DS is a senior) are well cared for and in the best place for them! The brunch this morning was beautiful and an inspiring speech by Donna Shalala left us wanting more! The Wellness center where it was held is an amazing place. We enjoyed meeting Zincwhiskers in the lobby of the hotel the other night and Meteormom too. We met some great parents of freshman. The friendliness of other parents is always amazing to me. The U is one of the friendliest and warmest places around. We went to a Letting Go Session and it was a good source of strength and generosity of spirit. Some were having more trouble than others, but we all left with many tears in our eyes but confident we made the right decision to leave our children at the U. We went to a warm, wonderful dinner at Hillel on Friday and again, had a beautiful, short, evening full of song and delicious Thai food!
About 1/2 hour out of town, my DD texted to make sure I had stopped crying and told me how excited she was and that she’d be fine…not to worry about her. I love that girl and her heart to be worried about me when she is on this new wonderful adventure. DS followed suit and called a few hours later. He is used to us leaving and returning, but was concerned that we’d be okay, but told us that his sister would be looked after by him and many others and that made me feel much better. What else to share…the new keycards in Stanford are great and just like a hotel. The building looked fresh and clean and I can’t say enough about the warmth from the staff and resident masters there. We attended the residential college talk in the masters apt and met the “team” and each was interested in us, our kids, and any concerns we might have. We saw Sebastian in our hotel lobby on Wednesday and that was fun to take pictures with him. The lobby at the Hampton was decked out with balloons and posters and employees in U t-shirts!
Water was abundant everywhere! (free…included for anyone thirsty and hot!) Always people posted to ask questions just when you needed someone to give you directions. I hope this helps future parents and if you have any questions, PM me or I’ll check this thread. I got so much help here through the years and now with two at the U, I might just know an answer or two!</p>

<p>Thanks for the update - glad the move in went well. I was in awe the other week when we saw the Wellness Center. So much nicer than what I had in college. The dorms looked well taken care of too! Your kids sounds sweet - and very nice that they called to check up on you. It does sound like their in good hands there.</p>

<p>My S has just about finished his application for next year. Hoping he’ll decide to take the SAT one more time - and hoping we can work it out so he can join your kids there next year.</p>

<p>Wishing both your kids a great year.</p>

<p>Great summary dindune! It was a joy meeting you, your hubby, illinoismom93 and her hubby as well as meteormom all in person. Also met a very nice Mom who was hanging out in the lobby with her grade school D after dropping off her freshman D - she admitted to being a CC stalker, but has since registered with a handle (she told me what she picked, but I cannot remember it now). We all had a nice chat in the breakfast area - sorry we missed VHFather. I was pretty much running on caffeine as the train ride down was pretty rough (very little sleep) - would never do the Autotrain again without getting into a sleeping car. I wish we could have gotten together at some point over the few days, but realize with all the activities built into the orientation schedule for freshmen, there isn’t much time left for that kind of socializing. Maybe next year, when all of our kids are upperclassmen? Or, maybe during family weekend (altho I think we’re skipping the official one this year).</p>

<p>To give a different perspective on move-in - with a sophomore - on Friday. Drove over to Mahoney with load 1 of 2- parked in the garage. Borrowed a laundry cart and took 1 load up to her room on the 5th floor (3 elevators, with no waiting). Unloaded and returned cart. While she unpacked the initial stuff we brought from home, Dad drove to the “storage” facility and retrieved load 2 of 2. Parked in the garage again, borrowed another 2 laundry carts and rolled it all up to the room.</p>

<p>Dad returned the carts and wandered the campus while D got a start on unpacking and organizing. Met with Christi B for a little while - she was working late (no surprise there). Wandered over to the bookstore to get my fix of U logo stuff, then back to Mahoney to pick up D for our final dinner until December. She dropped me off at the curb outside the Hampton and then drove back to campus in her “new” car! Strange feeling (okay, okay, I misted up!) seeing HER drive away in MY “old” car versus a year ago when WE dropped HER off at Hecht and drove away. Hard to type the logistics there, but you know what I mean… :)</p>

<p>We’ve been skype-ing since Sunday and she’s all settled now, reconnecting with buddies, having fun, looking forward to Wednesday’s start of classes. I really really miss her, but I know she is in a great place, surrounded by wonderful friends and is pursuing a future that she is passionate about. As a parent, I can’t ask for much more than that.</p>

<p>I did not read CC for the few weeks before we left and am sad to see I could have met some of you in person! Sorry I missed everyone!</p>

<p>Moved D into the University Village for her senior year. Can not believe how the time has flown. We took up two loads quickly and just dumped them for her to figure out later! She was moving back into the same apartment she had before doing her semester abroad in the Galapagos, so knew just where she wanted everything. Such a change from freshmen year! </p>

<p>Then we drove out to the RSMAS campus and she showed us the lab she works in and we met the professor she is doing research with. Went out to a good Cuban restaurant for dinner. As we drove away we realized that we did not even set foot on the main campus, very weird!</p>

<p>Wishing a Happy Thanksgiving to all the U parents out there! I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday!</p>

<p>Thank you! We just got back from spending Thanksgiving with our kids at the U! DS had to work (as an RA) and DD did not want to leave her brother, so we decided to have Thanksgiving with them in the freshman dorm master’s apt which was lovely and warm and welcoming. It was a catered affair for all of the students that stayed for the long weekend and there were many. Although the building seemed emptier than normal, it was still a friendly group of students. The feast was in the afternoon and then at 10pm, the kids that wanted to piled into a bus to go Black Friday shopping from 10-2am at the Dolphin Mall. Organized by the RA’s, it was a success again this year. Campus was quiet, parking spots abundant and dining halls were closed, so we enjoyed a few meals out with our kids. Overall, a lovely way to spend the weekend and I did not have to cook!
Happy Thanksgiving and Happy holidays to all!</p>

<p>~oops! missed posting this yesterday~</p>

<p>**HAPPY</p>

<p>BIRTHDAY</p>

<p>DINDUNE!**</p>

<p>Thank you, Illinoismom93!</p>

<p>My son will be moving into University Village in August. Is the bedding the same as the dorms? Any other advice as far as what we would need would be appreciated! :-)</p>

<p>NJMOMS: We are on the same wavelength. I just started a thread, new for August 2013 move-ins. Want to put your comment there so we can skip all the old info and focus on what we need for this year?</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-miami-florida/1488156-planning-move-august-2013-a.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-miami-florida/1488156-planning-move-august-2013-a.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>(But wait, is your DS a freshman? If not, maybe you can come over to my thread and give me advice based on your experience last year.)</p>

<p>My son is moving into UV this August too. Here’s what I’ve found on the UM website:</p>

<p>With the exception of the four bedroom/two bath model, each of the other apartment models has private bedrooms with full-sized beds and an affiliated full, private bathroom.</p>

<p>Each apartment is fully furnished throughout, including kitchen appliances like a refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, and microwave. A washer & dryer is also included in each apartment. Carpeting is provided in each bedroom along with the common area (living/dining room) and ceramic tile in the kitchen and bath areas.</p>

<p>My freshman som is moving into Mahoney next year. Are they allowed to loft their beds? Also does anyone have advice for summer storage for dorm room items My son will not be bringing home ( bedding, microwave, etc.)". He does not have access to a car.</p>

<p>thanks!</p>

<p>Pherden, I have used College Boxes the last 2 years for my D. Google it with the word coupon, and you’ll find a coupon for 20% off. You can order boxes/packing tape shipped directly to your son, they pick everything up and deliver it right back to his new dorm room. It is not the cheapest way to go, but it sure is easy. They are very nice to deal with and very prompt in our experience. If he wants to use a storage unit (ILMom recently posted a link I believe), he could rent a zipcar or have a friend drive him.</p>