U of M "Campus"

<p>A lot of colleges have “towns”, meaning a central location where students go off campus (bars, restaurants, stores, etc). I just visited the Univ of Miami campus in Coral Gables. The actual school grounds itself was real nice, but I didn't see any surrounding walking areas directly adjacent to the school that gave it a campus environment. Everyone went to South Beach or Coconut Grove for their entertainment. Did I miss something, or am I correct in that it doesn't have this type of area (like Gainesville, Penn State, Texas, UNC, Arizona State, et al).</p>

<p>Miami is Not a collegetown. like NYU, BU, GWU, and other schools in major cities/Metro areas, you will miss out on the collegetown.
I am not saying that you will miss out on the traditional college experience because you wont. UM has a lot of school spirit. go to campusdirt or princeton review and they corroborate that. the whole "residential campus" scene, football, basketball, school spirit and stuff to do on campus add to that college atmosphere. </p>

<p>Also just because Miami isnt a college town does not mean theres little to do for a college student. There are spots were many Canes frequent other than the beach. Downtown Coral Gable is filled with student hangouts, Coconut Grove, Sunset are areas close to school (some walking distance others a 5 min car drive) were you can find a lot of entertainement options for students that are not related to SoBe. </p>

<p>While Miami is not a college town as a whole,Coral Gables is a pretty upscale neighborhood where u should be able to walk around.</p>

<p>The metro train runs right by the campus too so you can get to places in downtown Miami. Infact, later stations even have connections for Amtrak trains to NYC if you really want to go that far!</p>