U of Miami vs U of Texas at Austin

anyone have an opinion about these two schools? business or even liberal arts? overall vibe? placement services at graduation? more liberal/accepting attitude of all students?

Those are the two schools I’m choosing between too! I love both … its a hard choice. I don’t know much about their business program so I can’t comment. I spend 2 to 3 days on each campus during our visits there and I think both are going to be pretty same with the accepting attitudes of all students. Texas is so huge there is going to be so many different people … you will always find someone like you. Miami students seemed so laid back and I met so many different people there also … and it’s Miami … its all about diversity there.

Thanks for the insite!

@nickhart You got into Miami already?

I’ve heard more about UT Auston’s business school than U Miami’s (it’s higher ranked too), but of course, rankings aren’t everything. I think the primary difference in student body is that UT is a large public school while U Miami is a smaller private school. Can’t really speak to how accepting the attitudes are though…

@CaliCash Did not get in already but I meant if I did. In my major University of Texas is much much harder to get accepted into and I got accepted so I am pretty confident with Miami. Miami is probably my first choice at this point. We went down and stayed across from the campus for 3 days and spent a lot of time there. All my schools Penn State, Texas and Miami are ranked or tied in rankings and are all great schools so education wise I think they are all equal … although Texas has a much higher ranked Engineering program. But I feel more at “home” at U of Miami when I was there.

My thoughts between the two are

Texas:
Pros:
Amazing facilities
Top ranked Engineering Program
The best dorms of them all
Great football
Football stadium on campus
Cool downtown area on 6th street
Great Frat houses and off campus apartments

Cons: A 4 1/2 hour flight for me
No real “college town” area … the “college” street right off campus was gross and run down
Super large school, worried about being just a number and not having close interactions with professors
Being out of state I feel that many research and other positions will go to Instate students because
Texas is very strict with their “instate” quotas.

Miami:

Pros: Most gorgeous campus I’ve ever seen.
Very highly ranked school
Extremely small class size. Everyone says professors and student know each others names
When I went to interview with Engineering program professor said he as average 5 to 10 kids in his classes
Everyone is allowed to do research because the classes are so small.
Small classes and professors knowing you personally is the #1 thing that is making Miami my #1 choice
So much to do in Miami …I grew up in a beach town with the beach within 3 blocks so I love having ocean close
Perfect weather. Not having to drag yourself out into cold freezing weather when you really don’t want to go to
class
2 1/2 hour flight from home - tons of flights - big airport
Coral Gables is amazing area … great areas off campus to shop and eat - every place we went was beautiful!!
Freshman dorms are great - love the sports field behind them. New cafeteria was amazing!
Off campus apartments looked really nice

Cons: No real "college town" like Penn State
           Football is really far off campus - Took us 45 to get to stadium for Fla St vs Miami game
           Frat houses and area are sort of crappy but they are building new ones that are much nicer

Thanks for the review of each. Love to hear other people’s perspective on campus life, etc.

Have you done a campus tour of each?

One huge plus for both Texas and Miami that I forgot was that each school really encourages and even with some majors requires … minors and multiple areas of study. Both schools made it seems so easy to study out of your major and did not make you feel like it would be overwhelming. I will be an engineering student but want to minor in business or at least take some basic business classes. It seemed everyone at Miami had a major and two sometimes 3 minors. Texas also stressed this program. I loved Miami’s new Cognates program allow you to choose the courses you are interested in instead of requiring specific classes.

Have not been to University of Miami…wanted another perspective other than my own:). Like city life…both academic programs seem like a good fit…just want to have other opinions if accepted to both;)

Miami is definalty a school you need to visit to really appreciate. Many people think it’s in the city when you tell them your applying there and don’t realize how far from the city Coral Gables is. The campus has such a laid back relaxing feel … it feels like you area at a resort and not a college with the Spanish moss trees, streams, wild life and lake. The first time I visted they had not completed the new student center yet and the last time the student center was complete and it made a huge difference in the way the campus felt. The new student center really makes a difference because so many students hang out there you really don’t need a typical college downtown and they are in the process of building even more on to it.