U of Miami vs UT Austin

<p>hi guys, i am an intl transfer student.</p>

<p>i have been accepted to UT Austin( economics) and i am waiting for a decision from UMiami.</p>

<p>HELP ME CHOOSE¡¡¡¡¡</p>

<p>where would u guys go??</p>

<p>I care about:</p>

<p>ACADEMICS (MOST IMPORTANT)
SOCIAL LIFE
SCHOOL REP
SPORTS
DIVERSITY
GIRLS</p>

<p>I NEED SOME FEEDBACK FROM COLLEGE KIDS LIKE ME, NOT JUST PARENTS AND COUNSELORS. HEEEEELPPP¡¡¡</p>

<p>where u moviingfrom?</p>

<p>i live in austin, didnt apply to ut but i got into miami.</p>

<p>i would choose miami, its private, smaller, bigger city and more things to do.</p>

<p>Im living in M</p>

<p>anyone else, i just need some honest opinions to make up my mind.</p>

<p>Miami has very small class sizes, great professors who really care about the students and are accessable (some have given my daughter their cell numbers), an administration that is very helpful and concerned about the students, diversity, great weather, a vibrant city, and yes, girls! </p>

<p>Miami is a great school. Good luck to you!</p>

<p>It’s not even close unless you get FA package from Miami that levels the playing field, and even then…UT (far) better academically unless you’re majoring in atmospheric science, is in one of the top 10 sports towns in America (Miami would never be included in that discussion), state capitol with all its cultural aspects, tons to do, weather in Miami is a matter of what you consider good - it’s warm but what comes with it is humidity and lots of rain and they dont call them the hurricanes for nothing… is that good? Miami is way overpriced and arguably overrated by its proponents (similar to USC about 20 years ago). Texas women on par with anyone’s. UT overall has much, much better overall reputation. What’s the dilemma?</p>

<p>UT Austin is ranked #45 according to US News, UM is #47. Not a very large difference in reputation, is it? And in terms of competitiveness? UM has higher SAT scores (UT: (530-670, 580-700,530-670) vs UM: (590-680, 620-700, 580-680)).</p>

<p>UM is in Miami. MIAMI. UT is in Texas. Who’s the winner? Miami, obviously. What is there to do in Texas?</p>

<p>Miami is a central hub for all things international. Only 50% of the student body is white. We are the number one University in the nation for culture class interaction.</p>

<p>Weather in Miami is wonderful. What do you mean it’s a matter of what you consider good? I have never met anyone who didn’t enjoy Miami weather. We get rain on occasion, but in the non summer months - when students are here - the skies are virtually always empty. And at least we can take advantage of it and go to the beach, which is only 20 minutes from campus.</p>

<p>And student to faculty ratio? UM: 11:1, UT: 18:1. 36.2% of UT’s classes have less than 20 people in them. 50% of UM’s classes have less than 16. 75% of UM’s classes have less than 25.</p>

<p>Acceptance rate? UM: 36%, UT: 45%</p>

<p>I won’t go to UT’s forum and insult it, but, by a non-existent God, if you come to UM’s forum and falsely insult my school, you better start getting some facts.</p>

<p>Way to tell em Rankinr!!</p>

<p>UM is definitely on the rise as far as prestige and selectivity go. I got into UT and Waitlistd at UM. (Still hoping to get in)</p>

<p>UM is now nearly at only offering admission to 1/3 of it’s applicants. That percent runs parallel with the likes of UVA, and NYU. </p>

<p>It continues to become a more and more recognized school and I wouldn’t be surprised if in 10 years it is competitive with schools like Notre Dame, USC, and Boston College. </p>

<p>UT is also a good school. As of now Both UM and UT are quite similiar when it comes to prestige. However, UM is definitely more selective and boasts a more academically impressive freshmen class. </p>

<p>UT and UM both will have nice weather. Although UM may be a tad warmer in the winter. Socially, I think you will have more to do at UM. You’re in a beach city at UM, whereas UT is central. </p>

<p>UM is generally well known for having a wide range of recognized programs. While some universities may lack in certain areas, you wont find that at UM. Sure, Marine Biology is well known, but all areas of study are quite prominent at UM. </p>

<p>UT is known for having a strong business program. Although, Miami also has a solid business program. </p>

<p>Im rambling, I know… </p>

<p>Basically it breaks down to something like this:</p>

<p>Academics: Tie</p>

<p>Social Life: UM</p>

<p>Prestige: Tie </p>

<p>Good Luck!</p>

<p>Wondering the outcome as we are facing the same issue with my son. He is accepted at both schools for Broadcast Journalism. Want to focus on sports.</p>

<p>greenynj - we’re from NY, my son is a senior at Miami majoring in broadcast journalism, emphasizing sports. My younger son was just accepted to Miami and Texas, but not for that major. Both schools are great, both have great communications schools. However, Miami’s smaller with great faculty access and wonderful weather. Being interested in sports, your son will be in one of the major media markets in Miami. Texas has wonderful college sports - but so does Miami, and the city also has teams in all 4 major leagues. My son was broadcasting games and doing sports talk shows and writing for the student paper from freshman year on - your son will have those opportunities in Texas, but perhaps not as early as his freshman year. My son had more experience after his sophomore year than a sophomore majoring in the same thing at Newhouse at Syracuse. My son has also interned for ESPN-1050 in NY and WFAN. What I’m getting at is that your son would have an amazing experience at both Miami and Texas, but he might get experience earlier in his years at Miami. I hope this helped.</p>

<p>10 char bump…It looks like Miami has jumped up significantly in the rankings, to 38th now, while UT has stayed about the same. Not sure why. </p>

<p>Any other thoughts on the UT vs. UM question?</p>

<p>Just got back from visiting UT again, and I have to say I think it will have more of a social life than Miami, just no beach or palm trees. My biggest issue with Miami is that there is no place to walk to around campus. No college feel in the town at all. Son did get a nice scholarship to Miami, so cost is actually less than OOS at UT. Austin is a great city and UT has the Drag. It is a BIG school though. Son got into Newhouse, but did not want to be in Syrcause, NY. Still undecided. At a school as big as Texas, the Dean of the Comm School spent almost 2 hours with us and addressed all our questions and concerns, which was incredible. Very different schools and a tough choice that my son has to make. Hopefully soon!</p>

<p>The non-college-town feel of Miami is one of the things that I actually like about Miami. It’s not an insulated, clingy college town, so you aren’t seeing the same people everywhere you go. You can go explore everything that the city and the entirety of South Florida has to offer. I’d rather go to a school like that than a school where everything is inside one small town.</p>

<p>greenynj - I know exactly how you feel about Miami, as I felt the same way the first time I was there. Turns out, I just didn’t know where to go to find that. Did you got to Sunset Place? How about the Grove on a Thursday night? I think the difference is that at Miami you have more choices to go as a student, so there’s less concentration at any single place. Except for the Grove on a Thursday night…it seems like half of the campus is there then.</p>

<p>I appreciate your responses. I did go to Sunset by car. It felt a little far to walk to grab a quick bite. Also went to the Grove. Both very pretty with lots of dining options but not collegiate or low cost by any means. Austin wins in rhe walking department by a mile. Tons right near campus. Great off campus housing options. Then add in 6th Street, South Congress, and so much more. However, it is a city school versus Miami’s lush green campus. Every single other school considered had at least a street or two for the kids to hang out at.</p>

<p>To add my two bits - when you have a pool in the middle of the campus with seating all around it and a Rathskeller merely steps away, why would you need to hang out off campus? And when you can sit outside year-round!</p>

<p>So you students do not feel you are missing anything by having to always shuttle, bus, or taxi places? What do you do when you need something quickly? How is it traveling to a stadium for games versus having it all right on campus?</p>

<p>Rankinr…just so you know that people like me exist, since apparently you were unaware, I love autumn and winter and would count Miami’s weather as a (slight) negative. Having lived in both a place with a climate similar to Miami’s and a place with long, cold winters, I can safely say I prefer the variation of the seasons to Miami weather.</p>

<p>fyi-- my older son was accepted to U of Miami with a very nice scholarship and to UT also with a nice scholarship. We visited Miami and he decided he preferred UT. He’ll be a senior next year and is very happy with his choice.</p>