UA Emergency Alerts

https://www.ua.edu/alerts/
Anyone know what is going on locally this morning (Jan 10th)?
My son got an alert, but I did not (which I found odd).

The link says “Police are responding to an active hostage situation at the Alabama Credit Union at 220 East Paul W. Bryant Drive. Bryant Drive is closed. Please avoid the area.”

Sounds serious. Hoping everything gets resolved safely.

Presented as a “hostage standoff” at the credit union.

I 'finally ’ got an alert (the first/only one so far) at 10.56 am.
Suspect in custody now (according to local news).

I always get the test alerts both text and phone calls but got NOTHING on this incident…other than making sure phone numbers are correct in mybama personal info, what else should I be checking to make sure I get these?

@Rdtsmith I double-checked everything was up-to-date, and was very surprised (as you were) to NOT have received an alert in this case until the ‘all ok’ message at 10.56 am. I found this odd, as I have always received alerts in the past.

They were sending alerts. I just checked my phone history and I received 3 prior to the all clear call.

^ yes, they/UA were sending, but some of us apparently did not receive those earlier alerts, for some reason.

I was out in the AM and came home to find 4 UA alerts on answering machine on home phone, don’t have a smart phone so no texts. Then got the all clear call.

FWIW, I don’t get text alerts (not having a child there) but do follow UA on Twitter (since D17 is deciding whether to go there), and both the event and its resolution were up on Twitter pretty quickly.

^ not a fan of social media to update me on emergency situations, being so much ‘fake news’ and all… =; Just sayin’… 8-|

@aeromom it is the school’s own Twitter so it is “official”, I have been doing the same thing for all the schools that my DD has been considering just to get a feel for the safety on and near the campuses.