UA Placement Tests- required?

<p>Are the placement tests in Math and Language required for freshmen? I think DS will get a 4 or better on his AP Calc exam so he doesn’t think he needs to take the placement test. Is he correct? Also, although he has 2 years of German he wants to just start with the first class (101?). He took German freshman and sophomore years, so he really doesn’t remember much and just wants to start from the beginning. He needs 9 credits for the HU/FA/L since he didn’t take these AP classes. He will be an ECE major. </p>

<p>My D never took a placement test. She’d already taken Calc 1 (at community college during high school) and she took the CLEP test to get credit for Spanish, with which she didn’t want to continue. With AP Calc credit, your S won’t need to take the math placement exam. I’m not positive about German, as he is continuing, but if he’s planning to start at the beginning no matter what, I can’t imagine why he’d need to take the placement test.</p>

<p>My older son never took any. He had AP Calc credit, and just moved on. He started over with Spanish because he wanted a native speaker instruction.</p>

<p>Younger son had AP Calc and continued on, but wanted to skip lower spanish so he took the placement test to go to 3xx.</p>

<p>Thanks, ya’ll! That is what I was thinking, but I wanted to make sure we didn’t miss anything. </p>

<p>FamilyofFive, thanks for asking the question as I wondered too. My son has taken the Calc AB AP test and felt he did well but he won’t have the results for bamabound. I wasn’t sure if he needed to take the placement test before we went just in case. I guess we will just go and sign him up for Calc 2. If he needs an override to do this, we can probably ask at the schedule meeting.</p>

<p>Just putting this link here for other families to read about placement tests (if their students are taking them), which need to be completed at last 1 week prior to Bama Bound session you are attending: <a href=“http://orientation.ua.edu/details/placement.html”>http://orientation.ua.edu/details/placement.html&lt;/a&gt; </p>

<p>Son had 2 years of Spanish in High School. If I remember right that automatically put him in Spanish 103. (Intensive review). Not sure that you can drop back to 101 if you have 2 years of High School credit. Placement exam was only necessary to place higher than 103?</p>

<p>Thanks Aeromom for the link as I hadn’t seen it before. My son had an excellent Math ACT score so now I definitely know he won’t have to take the math placement test. Love CC!</p>