UA Suspends Frat Privileges - Hazing Allegations

<p>Thursday evening I heard that all fraternity pledging was suspended for one week because an incident of hazing by the fraternity Sigma Alpha Epsilon was discovered (on video tape) .</p>

<p>I didn’t post anything that day as I was waiting to see confirmation from UA (which has not happened) or hear the same story from other sources (which has happened).</p>

<p>I don’t know any other details. Have any other parents heard this from their students?</p>

<p>[The</a> Crimson White | Pledgeship temporarily suspended until Monday](<a href=“Announcements for 7/22/2010 - The Crimson White”>Announcements for 7/22/2010 - The Crimson White)</p>

<p>My friend’s fraternity was nearly bankrupted by hazing lawsuits. Maybe frats need a new approach.</p>

<p>Young adults in UA Fraternity determining the boundaries of rules…Didn’t they learn from last year? UA tries teaching many lessons.</p>

<p>If course there is video. There is a new cell phone on the market with 100 MegaPixel resolution.</p>

<p>This will make those “throwing the finger with red solo cup in other hand” shots just so much more “attractive.”</p>

<p>Parents, please pray hard for the boy involved in this incident.</p>

<p>havent heard anything about a hazing incident, except last year when they suspended. i thought this year it was because they are investigating the sorority problem</p>

<p>I’m curious how a school can really suspend anything. Do they send people to sit in the Houses to make sure that everything is suspended? I doubt it. So, what’s to stop any House from carrying on?</p>

<p>to me, it’s like having your Mother in Law telling you to stop doing drinking beer in your home (even if it’s on her property). She’s not there 24/7, so what’s to stop you from carrying on as usual? </p>

<p>And, what’s to stop some of these Houses from doing what they want off campus? Last week, I was shopping to buy another rental in Ttown. I saw a home with a huge added on bonus room. The house had obviously been previously rented to a bunch of guys. The room could easily have been used as an off-campus frat house for activities that wouldn’t fly on campus.</p>

<p>^^^that’s what I thought.</p>

<p>I will certainly pray for the boy, his family, and the entire UA family…</p>

<p>What happened to him?</p>

<p>I don’t have official info so I do not want to post but the word is that he is in the hospital seriously hurt.</p>

<p>no statement from ua about it?</p>

<p>What? That’s horrible.</p>

<p>I was doing a little research and found this.</p>

<p>[15</a> Frightening Facts about Sororities and Fraternities - Zen College Life](<a href=“http://www.zencollegelife.com/15-frightening-facts-about-sororities-and-fraternities/]15”>http://www.zencollegelife.com/15-frightening-facts-about-sororities-and-fraternities/)</p>

<p>Can non-Greeks get invited to Greek events?</p>

<p>so was it suspended for the reason the dean of students said: </p>

<p>pledgeship has been temporarily suspended until Monday, according to a statement released by Tim Hebson, dean of students.</p>

<p>The statement described the suspension as a tool to clarify the pledgeship process.</p>

<p>“This temporary suspension, which is not unusual, gives us an opportunity for additional communication and education with fraternity leadership to ensure that there is no misunderstanding of the rules and goals of pledgeship,” Hebson said.</p>

<p>or because of the hazing incident…which came first? if hazing, realize they dont need more negative press about greek life…but they should state the true reason</p>

<p>A year or two ago, didn’t some fraternity pledges get burned having to sit on hot seats or something?</p>

<p>seriously…the Alums that want to busy-bodies during Rush, need to become busy-bodies during pledging activities. They need to refocus their energies.</p>

<p>any updates? is the pledge ok?</p>

<p>I haven’t heard any updates, but with the game going on, I am not surprised. I will post something if/when I hear it. </p>

<p>If anyone hears of this incident, maybe through their student, please PM me. (I did NOT hear from my student. He’s not involved in Greek life at all.) Once I hear from another source I will share the details. I only want to corroborate and not spread what may not be the 100% truth until there’s some verification.</p>

<p>class2012, usually something like that would be on al.com website…</p>

<p>^ I agree, but considering all that went on last week but the distraction of yesterday’s game, maybe it just hasn’t hit there yet.</p>

<p>I did hear about it last night- I am so shocked since SAE was in trouble this summer with a different hazing incident…</p>