UA Suspends Frat Privileges - Hazing Allegations

<p>Bama should also take the lead and come up with better strategies to combat hazing.</p>

<p>Maybe this is silly, but maybe come up with a list of “ok” things to have pledges do…like clean the hall tile with a toothbrush (we had to do that…lol), or repaint the door trim, or plant flowers in the yard, etc.</p>

<p>hlsess…what did you hear? What was the incident?</p>

<p>You’re never going to hear about this from the news; the frats keep it very hush hush. The last incident from a few years ago - the heated chair one - led to a pledge’s death, and we didn’t even find out about his passing until the news was released - quietly - a few months later.</p>

<p>^^^
??? Really? a death? Are you sure? </p>

<p>is there a link for that? I know he had burns on his fanny, but would that cause death?</p>

<p>what frat was that? I think it was kicked off campus, right?</p>

<p>According to what I found on line from Crimson White articles, the pledge did not die. He did have a collapsed lung, but recovered.
The fraternity, Sigma Phi Epsilon, was removed from campus by its national organization before the University had time to invoke punishment.
This happened in 2008.</p>

<p>I agree that “acceptable” activities should be outlined for all fraternities, and sororities for that matter. I do understand the need for developing a bond, and working together as a team, but not with physical, life threatening activities.</p>

<p>The challenge, as we all know, is how to enforce it. Most if not all of these organization have VERY powerful alumni and they should step up and put the strong hold on getting this nonsense stopped. Be a positive change agent!</p>

<p>riprorin, no, non greeks are not at most parties at the frat houses. They are required to have security guards on duty at the gate/door. Any female can come. Any male that is not a member of that house must have a invite from a member and said member must meet them at the door/gate for them to be allowed in. I actually like this as it keeps down “riff raff” that could come to cause trouble. </p>

<p>As for the pledges and what they have to do I know of a few things that have gone on this year from my D and her friend. 1. They had to wear certain attire that usually consisted of khaki slacks and a white polo. FYI, CNN reporters are trying to befriend sorority girls by dressing up like pledges to get inside info. 2. At one house the pledges were given a cricket in a jar that they had to carry with them and keep it alive till December.<br>
That is all I’ve heard of so far.</p>

<p>each Frat has a pledge “uniform” all pretty similar- certain types bluejean, polo and shoes… they have times to be at house each morning and when not in class they are at house- My son is growing a moustache- apparently they tell them to do that- they study alot during day when not in class… I heard they wash actives clothes…</p>

<p>just heard from a SAE mom- said they do not know about it- so I don’t think it’s SAE…</p>

<p>Recent events might suggest that a lot of “riff raff” is already inside the doors of these establishments.</p>

<p>^^ agreed ^^</p>

<p>Me three. That term “riff raff” is just plain offensive. The non-riff raff are doing a fine job making a mess of things all on their own.</p>

<p>Sigma Phi Epsilon (Sig Ep) had been back on the Alabama campus since the fall of 2010, but this is a VERY different Sig Ep. First, none of the members from the previous chapter were included in the new membership. Second, when Sig Ep brought its chapter back, its national office did an incredible job of recruiting its original members (my son is among them). It is a Balanced Man chapter, meaning that its members are to be of sound mind and sound body. Its members work out regularly, play intramurals, do a lot of community service (in fact, they just held a big fundraiser to benefit Big Brothers and Sisters of T-Town), hold several campus leadership positions and are strong students. They were last year’s IFC Chapter of the Year.</p>

<p>With the new Sig Ep, there is no pledging. There is no hazing. The national office believes in membership development, such as professional development, health and risk management education, leadership programming, etc. </p>

<p>BTW, my son served on the national board for two years, and yes, he is quite familiar with the mistakes and stupidity. During the time of his service, several big name Sig Ep chapters lost their charters for everything from drugs and drinking to assorted other violations. </p>

<p>That being said, each chapter has the opportunity to make a complete turnaround and become a positive force for change if the membership/national organization so chooses.</p>

<p>I believe some may have taken the term I used, “riff raff” out of context. If you will note I said it keeps those out that may come to cause trouble. I am not talking about any of the incidents involving any kind of hazing. We were talking about the parties that are held. If there were not guards to keep out the ones that would be coming to look for trouble, it would be a lot worse. There would be those that would actively go out and seek trouble, those are the ones I am referring to when using the term “riff raff”. We all should know there are those kinds of people out there that do those kinds of things no matter what.</p>

<p>I’m very disappointed to hear that hazing may have occurred at UA this year. People need to learn that hazing is wrong and should not occur, even if those doing the hazing were hazed in a similar manner.</p>

<p>Many UA fraternities and I’d imagine some sororities as well, have off campus houses. I’m not aware who actually owns the houses as some might just be rental houses leased by multiple members of the GLO, but such houses do exist. </p>

<p>UA reserves the right to punish students for actions outside of campus, but unless it’s something major or nearby, it usually doesn’t. Having off campus properties allows student organizations, not just GLOs, to host events outside of the University’s control. Such events are technically hosted by a group of people acting independently from the group. Especially if alcohol will be present at the event, the costs to independently host an event are much lower due to fewer legally mandated permit and staffing requirements. The majority of these events are small, but some larger (50+ people) events do exist. </p>

<p>In regards to who is allowed at fraternity parties, I’m surprised that fraternities haven’t copied many private clubs and allowed people to purchase short term memberships which allow access to selected events, but do not include voting privileges or initiation requirements.</p>

<p>In defense of TxNewCollegeMom: I have been to several frat parties that was open to locals where fights broke out. There was also that tragic incident at a frat party in Auburn last year that involved a football player and a local getting into a fight resulting in the death of 3 people. The frats are doing this to be safe, and me being a student here can confirm that the locals in Tuscaloosa can be a bit “ruff”.</p>

<p>[3</a> killed in shooting at Auburn University apartment complex; 2 ex-football players among victims - NY Daily News](<a href=“National News - New York Daily News”>3 killed in shooting at Auburn University apartment complex; 2 ex-football players among victims)</p>