UArts life and future of program

Hoping to connect with parents of current students and also those accepted to learn more about the BFA MT program! Everything I’ve read is super positive. We have enjoyed our visits and my daughter loved the audition process. She felt they really made an effort to get to know her, and she was thrilled to get an acceptance offer! I’m also very curious to know the state of hiring a new program head, as I understand the current person is retiring.

Hello! My d is a freshman in the MT program there. It is my understanding that they are promoting someone from within (one of my daughter’s professors, if I recall). It may not have been officially announced yet. I’ll ask her the next time I speak with her.

Thank you! @DramaQueen219

@yellowheart Just got off the phone with my daughter (she graced me with a phone call in between her busy schedule :)) ). Yes, her MT performance professor (that all freshman have) is taking over. Her name is Kati Donovan. She believes she is the “interim” right now. My daughter absolutely loves her, and she had a meeting with the MT kids about the future, and what their plans are, and what the kids want from the program. She seems very approachable (and young too). and bonus info- her husband is currently in King Kong on Broadway (which we saw; he was great. She show itself? well… :wink: ).

Thank you so much for the information @DramaQueen219! Sounds great!! Glad to hear the news!

That is exciting news. My daughter studied under Kati Donovan in the UArts summer program and was extremely impressed.

My daughter had her audition with Katie at NY Unifieds and it was literally her favorite audition out 20+ - NY/Chicago/on-campus. She said Katie really went out of her way to get to know her and they really vibed well.

I was accepted into Uarts year and although I decided not to go I remember Katie EXTREMELY approachable! I only hear great things about this program

Last year*

And being* jeez this is why I’m not going to school as an English major

Hi Everyone. My son has received an offer from UArts. We are very excited about it and he will be making a visit soon. I’d be really curious to hear any other inside information on the program - what people like? what they feel could be improved? what it’s like living in Philly? Or anything else you can think of that might help him make a decision. Thanks!

Tagging @DramaQueen219 so she’ll hopefully see your question!

@ZukAndSowash My daughter was also accepted and gathering info. They have an accepted students day this weekend on Saturday 3-30. We are learning about the program so not much to share there, but I can assure you Philadelphia is a great place to go to college, lots of great theatre, the school is right on the Avenue of the Arts. You can see a shows every weekend. There is a ton to do in Philly, constant goings on… festivals, parades, bike a thons, 5Ks, art exhibits, street fairs, concerts, film expos, theatre week, tons of artsy restaurants, cafes, brunch places, shopping, bars, etc etc. Lost of colleges nearby, meaning lots of kids out on weekends which makes it fun. Tons of museums, art galleries, parks, south street, little Italy, china town, penns landing, check out the magic garden, eastern state penitentiary, ice rink at city hall, boat house row and of course tons of historical sites. Lots to do. I grew up 20 min outside of Philadelphia and went to Villanova - we went to Philly a lot! Then to Drexel in Philly for grad school then lived in Manyunk for 2 years (great place to visit, not far from center city). I hear the program is good, still learning the details.

Thanks @actorparent1! I replied up top, but wasn’t following the thread still. I second everything @collegehelp1 said (but didn’t grow up near Philly, just agreeing based on my dd’s experiences this far).

Hi @DramaQueen219 ! I wasn’t referring to the original poster’s question - if you look a couple of posts back, @ZukAndSowash asked some additional questions!

I know, that’s why I thank you for bringing me back in! I messaged her ?

Oh, okay! Sorry for my confusion, I haven’t had my morning coffee yet, LOL!