UC A-G , GPA and Admissions criteria?

As we wait for decisions from the UC one question keeps coming to mind. In reviewing the selection criteria I’m always left with a question. The UC bases their eligibility on performance in the A-G requirements, however, their GPA calculation is determined by only the 10/11th grade years. I would assume that most kids meet roughly half of their A-G requirements in their 9/12 grade years, some maybe even in 8th grade. So why would UC not look at performance in those years? Perhaps they do? I’ve noticed other universities actually calculate GPA based on their required curriculum regardless of the year a class was taken. A student could hypothetically take much easier classes in 10/11th grades and focus A-G or more rigorous classes in their 9/12 grade years. What am I missing?

I’m thinking @Gumbymom might have the answer.

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/how-to-apply/applying-as-a-freshman/how-applications-are-reviewed.html

I’m sure @Gumbymom knows for sure, but my understanding was that the 10th/11th GPA was only for getting your foot in the door, if you will. Once you get past that gating factor, then all of the 13 criteria are evaluated.

1 Like

When we began this whole process that was my understanding as well but it’s interesting to note items one and two in the link above.

“1. Academic grade point average in all completed A-G courses, including additional points for completed UC-certified honors courses.
2. Number of, content of and performance in academic courses beyond the minimum A-G requirements.”

How do they do that if they are not looking at grades in 9/12 grade years? If they are “looking” why not weight those grades?

They look at all courses to determine satisfaction of A-G requirements and rigor but only 10-11 for GPA.

@nucities

@Seabass927 is correct that a-g courses and the capped weighted GPA are used for UC admission eligibility. 9th grade a-g courses will be evaluated for completion and rigor since grades and courses are listed on the UC application while the Senior year courses are listed on the application to determine completion of the minimum requirements and also if HS course rigor is being maintained.

I do not know the history of why only 10-11th grades are used for the GPA calculation or why UC’s do not consider Mid-year Senior grades but that is the limitations all students need to deal with when applying to the UC’s.

The UC’s receive a huge amount of applications and as stated by @Seabass927 the 10-11th a-g grades are used to get your foot in the door then the application will reviewed for the remaining 13 areas of criteria.

Remember all acceptances are provisional meaning all Seniors need to complete the a-g courses listed on the UC application with passing grades or they can be rescinded.

4 Likes

I kept seeing Capped, Weighted GPA in these forums, my son mentioned he only submitted unweighted GPA (3.9/4.0) scale. When asked he isn’t sure where the weighted ones can be found, are they computed automatically and listed on college portals? Where can we find out?

For UC’s, the capped weighted and fully weighted GPA is not found on the UC application nor is it automatically calculated.

Here is the calculator and the GPA calculation it will vary if in-state or OOS.

https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

Thank you! I’ll take a look.

What I’m still confused about is that in the second semester of grade 11, my son’s high school assiged Credit-NoCredit to all classes (although he got straight As that semester, we aren’t happy about the school’s decision). 3 of the courses during that year were Honor/AP, so out of those 3 (total of 6 semesters - 3 A and 3 CREDIT), how should we take those into account when computing “weighted” GPA?

No grades for the 2nd semester so you would calculate using 10th grades plus 1st semester 11th grades and the extra honors points for the qualified classes taken during this time so for 11th grades, honors points only for the 1st semester = 3.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification. This is so unfair, they took away my son’s straight A for the semester, and also his honor/AP points for the weighed GPA, moreover he scored a decent SAT in Dec 2019, now California universitys won’t look at it.