UC Davis Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

She should see if they have a discord thing. Patio never took off and no one their age uses FB or IG

Anyone planning on attending a local admitted student reception?

https://twitter.com/RJPenman/status/1505421352781504512

2 Likes

Try ZeeMee?

1 Like

We didn’t go, already had other commitments during that time. Did you go? How was it? Worth attending?

We would have loved to go (we’re just a few miles from Bellevue, WA, which had events this weekend), but we’re in Maui for Spring Break. My hubby and daughter are going to the Admitted Student Day at UC Davis on April 9. My daughter is deciding between UW and UC Davis, leaning toward Davis.

4 Likes

My daughter wanted to go to the one in Philadelphia but it’s a 5 hour drive on a school night. We can’t make Admitted Students day either. We’re going to do a tour over her spring break instead.

1 Like

Has she tried Discord?

Yes, there are less than 100 kids in the Discord group so far. They must be talking somewhere but it’s a mystery to her, lol!

Students are probably still deciding which college they want to attend so it likely won’t be full on discord, yet.

1 Like

@DunkieLunkie Bellevue/Seattle/UW has easy accessibility to the greater Seattle area and tons of things for her to do. Davis is a college town but much different from the UW. She will get warmer and (in my opinion) much better weather than the UW, but Davis worn have the same offerings as the UW for OOS cost of attendance. Just make sure she can imagine living in a college town that is much more isolated from the big city than what she would be used to, living in Bellevue/UW.

My daughter is deciding between the same two schools as well- also leaning towards Davis. We will also be at Davis on April 9 (seeing UW right before that )

2 Likes

Great points!

We live in the Seattle suburbs, and she really doesn’t like the University District. (I don’t, either, TBH.) She wants to be a plant scientist, loves a small, college town, and was awarded a Provost Scholarship at Davis, so I think she’ll choose Davis as the better fit. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

We’re in the same boat! D22 accepted into UCD Biological Sciences, and wouldn’t choose Berkeley if she got it. She also strongly believes she’ll prefer Davis to UW. I don’t know if this site allows DMing, but my hubby and daughter will be there on 4/9 if the girls might want to meet up there.

Then she will love UC Davis. I grew up in Seattle and went to the UW. Moving to Sacramento (30 min from Davis) where at one point we had cows and farmlands and not as much traffic…I felt like I got a much needed break from the city. But now I kinda long for my old city because as much as we like to think NorCal/Sac is cool, it’s never a metropolitan like Seattle :slight_smile:

1 Like

Congrats on the Provost Scholarship!

Lots of options for a plant scientist at Davis. I’m curious, why did she apply into College of Bio Sci rather than College of Agriculture & Environmental Science?

2 Likes

Also for parents visiting campus and aren’t familiar, there’s a couple of hotels close to Davis. Hyatt is one. I would book refundable before they go up in price. If they sell out, downtown Sacramento is 15 min from Davis. Vacaville is about 20 min from Davis also but Sacramento Airport will be your closest airport (30 min).

Davis is about 60-80 min from San Francisco without traffic.

2 Likes

Admitted student tours are full during our spring break and we can’t attend admitted student day on April 9. D22 has a swim meet that weekend. Any suggestions? UCD is one school we didn’t visit. Now that we have decisions it is her number 1 choice and we want her to see it before she commits. Is it worth it to just walk around campus on our own?

@cfmom I think it’s worth it. Call admissions if they have someone they can offer to tour your student around. I think you could do a self-guided tour. Skip next week because it’s spring break but students are back and it’ll be good to tour when students are back on campus. Weather is nice so they will be out and about on their bikes.

2 Likes

She wanted something more general for her BS, with plans to be more specialized in her PhD. As a Running Start student from WA state, the Biology BS also fits better with her Associate’s Degree (graduating high school and community college this June with an Associate’s in Biology).

1 Like

If it is her first choice and a visit is possible, I would make the time to do so. I would take a tour rather than trying to do it on your own. There will be many admitted students touring campus in the next few weeks so she won’t be alone. Take time to visit her department, the MU and downtown. As MommaLue mentioned, this is spring break so I would avoid this week.

Picnic Day is a big open house for the community. It has been virtual the past couple of years but is in person on April 23 and there is a lot of excitement about it. Hotel rooms book months in advance but Hyatt opened a new Hyatt House (as opposed to Hyatt Place which is on campus) in Davis and it looks like they still have rooms available that weekend.

6 Likes