UC Davis Freshman Class of 2027 Waitlist/Appeal Thread

Is waitlist from Davis an indication of whats going to come in other more reputed UCs? S was expecting Davis and is quiet upset on not getting in for Engineering inspite of high 4.3 UC Weighted GPA and very strong ECs…

Davis is the one UC with pretty good WL movement. In previous years, they required a why Davis WL essay and many who chose to write that got in. Not sure about this years trend but I would recommend completing that essay and accepting the WL spot.

1 Like

No waitlist essay this year, just an opt in with updating grades and estimating Spring semester/quarter grades. @lkg4answers noted there is a new director of admissions so they have changed their waitlist process.

3 Likes

If you go to the waitlist discussion threads for all the UC’s, you will see past waitlist admit numbers. The UC’s have increased the # of qualified applicants on their waitlist and part of their yield management policies include using the waitlist to meet their institutional priorities.

UC decisions are not a reflection on your capabilities. The UC’s have far more qualified applicants than spots available so there are going to be many students that do not get into their preferred UC campus.

I have posted this information before but explains much when it comes to UC admissions:

Several factors and variables can influence selection. What is most important to know is that selection looks different at every campus!

• Selection can even look different from year to year for the same campus.

• Things like enrollment capacity (campus size impacts how many students can enroll) and enrollment targets for each campus are factored into selection.

• Campuses use multiple factors when selecting students and the way campuses select students varies.

• It is to the student’s advantage to include as much information as possible on the application.

• Every student is considered in the context of their own environment which includes, but is not limited to, school, family and geographic region.

• Students are also considered within the context of the applicant pool for each campus.

• Each campus will complete their own individual review of the application independently of one another, which means that they’re going to review the information in the application and select students without asking what the other campuses have decided.

• Each campus selects students independently.

3 Likes

I think there’s some randomness with decisions in the end. My daughter got accepted at Davis (her #1 choice) with a 4.4 UCW, 3.96 UW, 50 DE credits for Global Disease Biology but hasn’t heard from SLO, so we assume waitlisted or rejected. :woman_shrugging:t3:

Does appealing take it back to the same college for review? My application was not meant for that college but for a different college so what could I do so that the other college reviews my application?

1 Like

UCD does not review by college. All applications are reviewed by the admission office.

On paper SLO is a more selective school with an acceptance rate in the high 20’s where as UCD is closer to 40%. Now of course this doesn’t say anthing about quality of programs, just that kids like SLO over Davis and I guess the slightly cheaper tuition is attractive to parents.

Admit rate for UCD was 37.5% last year while SLO’s admit rate was 29.3%… UCD received 94,000+ applications vs. SLO’s 67,000K+. UCD’s Freshman class is larger than SLO’s. The admission process between both schools are completely different so cannot compare the 2 schools.

3 Likes

Besides Davis, which other UC does not require LOCI or an essay?

Only UCLA and UCB have required a waitlist statement. The rest of the campuses have eliminated waitlist essays. Also none of the UC’s consider an applicants level of interest so they do not accept LOCI’s, only the waitlist statement.

2 Likes

Oh? It has said that I was rejected by the college of biological sciences.

1 Like

If your first choice major that was listed on your application was in the College of Biological Sciences, then that would be the denial statement. UCD admits into the College of Biological Sciences regardless of stated major.

1 Like

Yes, but I wanted to be admitted to the college of agriculture but I had accidentally switched my alternate major with my primary. My application revolved around agriculture and I have really good grades. I am very involved in my school and agriculture so i was surprised i didn’t get in especially since i was the only one from my competitive ag program that applied. Im assuming i didn’t get admitted due to the college that they were reviewing me for. Im also in the top 9 percent of my school so im just confused. Im trying to find a way for them to consider me for the college of agriculture instead?

My primary major was animal science and my alternate was supposed to be neurobiology but I accidentally switched them so I was considered for the college of bio but I didn’t want that.

All you can do is appeal and explain your mistake. They will re-evaluate your application and appeal information. When did you discover the mistake since UCD does allow changes on your application until January prior to the application review process?

Also, UCD does consider alternate majors on a case by case basis, so if they felt you were an outstanding applicant, they would have considered your alternate major but again this is something that needs to be addressed in your appeal to confirm.

I realized it recently around January or February but I couldn’t change by then. However I wasn’t worried since I thought they would consider my alternate major but it turned out that they didn’t. I read that they don’t do it often or at all sometimes.

Do you think that is a good reason to appeal? I also have my senior year grades now which I can use and since then I am the gate key holder of my schools agriculture program and I completed at UC Davis for my ag program. Maybe those can help

Then you have a basis for an appeal so emphasize why you would be a great fit to their Animal Science program.

2 Likes