UC Davis vs UCI vs Cal Poly Slo (Bio Sci)

Hi,

I was recently accepted to:

UCI (bio Sci)
UCD (bio Sci)
Cal Poly San Luis Obispo (microbiology)

These were my top choices that I got admitted to. I am starting to lean towards UC Davis as I like the location near Sacramento and San Fransisco. I used to live near UCI, so it really wouldn’t be an exciting change. Is Cal Poly Slo as good as the UC’s as people say it is, as I am already not a fan of it being so isolated (boring) and severely overcrowded/underfunded.

But most of all, which school has the best Life Science Programs in terms of reputation, facilities, professors etc.?

was not accepted to UCSD sooo…

thanks

All of the schools will give you an excellent education so academically you cannot go wrong with any of the schools. Fit is important and personal so it is up to you to decide where you want to spend the next 4 years. You will have some good professor and some not so good professors at each school.

If you have visited, you already know the some of the pro’s and con’s. If you have not visited, then you really need to find out for yourself and do not go by what other people’s impressions are about each school.
Compare the major curriculum for each school and see if one school offers an area of interest that another may not. Are finances an issues, since SLO will be slightly less expensive than the UC’s.
What are your plans after graduation? Do you plan to go to graduate school? Research?

UC’s may offer better research opportunities than SLO but again something you need to find out in your evaluation of each school’s program.

My advice is always the same and select the school the fits you academically/financially and socially. A happy student will be a successful student.

@guest_23, even without UCSD, you have some excellent choices on the menu. As Gumbymom said, it’s very important to consider your intended career path and how each school might prepare you for it.

And at each school, can you see yourself in that movie? To amplify her statement above, fit is much more important than people realize. It’s hard to get a full sense of a place in a short time, yet an in-person visit would be a good start. When my son and I visited SLO (before the CS rejections started to roll in), every single person we met said, “We love it here!” Your mileage may vary…and good luck.

Based on ranking alone by subject: UC Davis would be the best choice. #26 vs #104 for UCI.

I like Gumbymom’s advice: the school that fits you academically, financially and socially.

Do your research and visit the campuses.

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/search?region=&subject=biology-biochemistry&name=University+of+California+