UC Irvine vs. UC Davis

I’m having a hard time choosing between UC Irvine and UC Davis. I am interested in double majoring in Economics and Data Science/Statistics (Irvine doesn’t have Statistics but has Data Science while Davis doesn’t have Data Science but has Statistics and I’m fine with either majors). Is UC Irvine or UC Davis better for my majors.

@richauprety - i was a double major at Davis - in Econ and Rhetoric (back in the early 90s). i LOVED Davis, though I wouldnt say there was anything particularly stellar or negative about the Econ department. The internship & career center were great, though–got a couple of internships in Sacramento and in DC for a semester. My S is most likely going to accept his offer at Irvine. Not personally familiar with Irvine, but happy that he will be attending!

I would strongly encourage you to attend Decision Day at UC Davis this weekend (April 6). Davis offers a BS in Statistical Data Science https://statistics.ucdavis.edu/undergrad/bs-statistical-data-science-track They also offer a BS/MS program https://statistics.ucdavis.edu/undergrad/idp

My DS is also having a hard time choosing between the two (in addition to UCSD and CPSLO). Both are beautiful and great campuses. DS was accepted to BME for both schools. Here are some factors we added to the decision matrix during our visits. We would like to see if anyone else can add more to this.

UC Irvine: Close to LA, lots to do, nicer year-round weather, close to beaches, close to biotech industry, too many commuters, too far from UCLA for ROTC, limited flexibility to change majors (even within the engineering dept).
UC Davis: Very flexible when changing majors, great college town, great “closed campus” feel with little to no commuters, BEAUTIFUL campus, close to SAC for ROTC, few hours to bay area/Tahoe/Inyo Mountain areas, weather gets a little hot May-Oct.

Irvine is considered one of the safest cities in the US. Like any college campus, you will see petty theft, but it is rare to see any violent crime. You will see kids out at all hours of the night. Yes, there are commuters (20% of freshmen), but you will find commuters at most college campuses. As far as flexibility to change majors, it would probably depend on the major.

https://abc7.com/irvine-again-safest-big-city-in-us/4330471/

Davis is a great campus, but it can get EXTREMELY hot during late spring and summer. If you like the small college town feel, Davis is for you.

Davis has more traditional seasons. You would experience fall colors (Google for images - Fall is beautiful at Davis), a rainy winter, spring blooms and a warm summer. As a parent of a southern Californian at Davis, I think the cold (esp when biking) was more of a surprise than the heat.

Both schools are on the quarter system and this year school ends on June 13 and begins on Sept 23.
From weatherspark

Davis:

Irvine:

Irvine is the 4th safest city in california, but davis has more of a traditional “college life!” Irvine is right by some beautiful beaches too

I think weather and safety are not relevant. They are both California cities.

Comments #3 and #4 in this thread both mention weather so it is relevant in this discussion. The two schools are 440 miles apart. It would be like saying that weather and safety are the same in New York and Maine.